Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010

A bit similar to MummyLintern2B's question...

We moved our lo into her cot, from sleeping in carry cot, on Tuesday night. She is 18 weeks old and is still sleeping in our room but is waking up more frequently in her cot. I have also discovered that I don't know how to settle her now she's in her cot. Before we could just pick her carry cot up and gently swing / walk about with it if she wasn't settling and she would eventually settle. Also it was on a rocking stand so in the night she could rock herself. Last night I noticed her rocking her head from side to side and eventually she woke up. I think she'd been trying to settle herself. If I pick her up then she associates that with getting fed (I think) and gets very worked up when I put her back down. My oh got a dummy for her last night which I think just made it worse. She isn't really used to having a dummy, we've only given to her a few times, and it kept falling out and then she'd howl even louder. Any tips for settling her in the cot without having to resort to feeding her everytime? She was ok going to bed, and went to bed awake last night and was babbling away to herself, which eventually turned into little cries and I just shushed her moving gradually away, however I don't think I can do this in the night while she's in our room.

In addition, over the last week or so I could literally feed her all day long and I don't think she'd be satisfied. Every feed is at least an hour, whereas before it was about 20 mins. She hasn't slept through for over a week now. So my other question is could this be a growth spurt and I've just picked a bad time to move her to her cot?

Thanks x

Replies

• You could try just patting her tum or holding her hand so she knows you're there rather than rocking her? Or getting a mobile and switching that on see if the music will sooth her?

Maybe she's getting ready to try solids if you're milk isn't enough for her anymore?

Keep trying she will get used to it.

• Thanks MrsGiggles, it had crossed my mind that she might need more food. She stares at every mouthful of food I take. I was going to introduce a bottle of formula before bed - she's been mainly breastfed with some bottles of expressed milk and I've also given her bottles of expressed milk topped up with formula. Think I'll post this on the breastfeeding forum too.

I'll also try holding her hand etc, she just had a 40min nap in her cot and went down fine.

Thanks again

• Hiya ! we had the same thing with Jacob although he is bottlefed now but he was having 7 bottles a day and never satisfied

i spoke with my HV and she checked his weight which was dipping and we decided that he would go on solids as a little top up at 18 weeks as it had been going on for 3 weeks. they did say i should try and get him to 21 weeks before introducing but only i knew if that was possible and how unhappy and hungry he actually was

im not saying that its right for you but is worth having a word with your HV getting weight checked and see what they advise xx
  • That does sound similar. Hv is coming on Wed to do weight etc so going to discuss fully with her then. That will a least give me some time to try formula and see if it makes a difference at bedtime. x