Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010

FAO linziMc88

Hi Hun!

I saw your post in baby and really interested in the fact that you have started BLW earlier that 6 months! I'm really keen to start a bit earlier too and was just wondering what kind of foods do you give?

Which foods did you try first?

Why about things like toast and rice cakes etc?

Also when you say he shares your meals do you just give him a small portion of whatever you have and let him at it?

Sorry for all the questions bit I'm so interested in it but so scared at the same time!

Becky

Xxx

Replies

• Hi hun,

Linzi will give you a proper answer but I was reading my weaning book today and it says to avoid gluten until 6 months so I wouldn't do toast until then.

I guess the idea of BLW is that baby will eat when they are ready, so I'd start with cooked carrot sticks and other vegetables and fruit and see whether your little one plays with them or put them in her mouth.

Millie is getting hungrier I think and is showing great interest in what we eat (she launched herself at her nanny's pineapple juice as she liked the smell image and I will be asking the HV this week. She is only 22 weeks, so not quite 6 months yet, so I think I will hold on for another few weeks (I think you are meant to take into account if your baby was early or late, so as Millie was 2 weeks late, she is technically 24 weeks, but I'll check with my HV). In the meantime, I'll get a few purees ready and frozen, as I want to do a mix of BLW and purees.

I'll also get all the necessary paraphernalia. I have bought one of these "mesh" thingies where you put veg or fruit in to ensure they don't choke on lumps. It looks quite useful.

Sorry this is long on a post which wasn't addressed to me... image

Let me know how you get on!
  • No thats a fabulous help Hun!

I've been feeding purees to Eve since week 17 on doctors advice so will also combine feed!

Those mesh things sound good, where did you get it from?

Becky

Xxx
  • Hi hun, Well,Finley certainly is a lot younger than babyled weaning is usually started, but he's leaps and bounds ahead in terms of milestones (not bragging I just mean he's quite grown up for his age!) and after he picked up a piece of pizza crust from my plate one day and sucked/munched on it and even swallowed some without difficulty I thought he was basically showing me "hey mum, look what I can do, I'm ready!" lol. He's sitting unaided too which helps greatly.

We first tried broccolli and carrot, big chunks steamed to al dente so he could grab them easily. I didn't expect him to actually ingest much to begin with but he certainly had done when I changed his pooey nappy lol. We've since tried banana, mango, pineaple, bread & toast (though I know this is not recommended earlier than 6months), rice cakes, potato, strips of raw pepper...

So far he's just had part of our meal mostly, ie the veg, or fruit for breakfast. I can't wait to dish him up what ever we're having but am weary of the 6month guideline for dairy (cheese etc) and meat and wasn't sure about pasta/rice/noodles etc? will have to look that up!

He absolutely loves his foody playtime, as I call it. Theres no pressure, he just does his own thing and I just sit and relax with my own meal. He hasn't had any reactions to anything as of yet. Before I started I read "baby led weaning" by Gill Rapley which is fantastic, I'd recommend that, it will definately put your mind at rest about any worries you have. One of the key things I took from it was "watch the baby not the calendar" and as Finley is in control of whether he does or doesnt put things in his mouth, I very much agree with this, it's different with spoon feeding as I'd be forcing it on him in some respects.

I bought a messy mat (big plastic mat) from mothercare for under his high chair and just shake it outside or over the bin when he's finished. it is very messy. cover-all bibs with arms in are great for protecting clothing.I've heard about the net bags that minnie suggested and saw them online, I understand why people use them, but for me it defeats the point of BLW. BLW teaches them gradually what size pieces they can manage, and if they swallow a piece too big, they wretch it back up and chew it some more. sounds gross but it's how they learn, trial and error sort of thing.

Finley hasn't dropped any breastfeeds, and some days I don't offer him any food, just depends what we're having and our schedual. I'm loving it, so is Fin and I'd recommend it!! Sorry I seem to have waffled on forever! good luck xxx
  • http://www.nuby.com/en/nuby/solid-feeding/5364

These are the mesh thingies if you want to have a look image
  • Hi Linzi

this is very interesting thanks for the info

ive been wondering about Jacob and his feeding for a while , our HV advised weaning at 18 weeks for various reasons and said he was more advanced than many 18 week babies this has continued and he is now 22 weeks and 18lbs in weight. he has been really happy with his food and loves the purees and after taking HV advise I have upped the food portions and added a dessert although just sticking with purees , over the laST few days he has been trying to grab pieces of toast and gets very upset that he cant have them he also does the same with fruit i am eating etc

i have been wondering about letting him try a luittle bit but been so worried that he isnt 6 months
  • I am not doing BLW but have been cooking and pureeing food. I haven't made the purees as thin as stage one though. Ruby-Rae is 22 weeks and she's been having food for about 3 weeks.

She gums lumps well and eats banana without mashing (just peel and offer). Apple I kind of bite abit off ans she sucks and gums it. She manages the lumps by gumming them and she likes sticking the travel spoon in her dish and eating it.