Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

separation anxiety

Hi everyone, just wondered if any other August babies are beginning to get like this...

It's an odd one, because Finley will willingly go to anybody and everybody and is fine. However, the past week or so, in the afternoons, usually after his nap, he gets distraught if I put him down or god forbid, leave the room! It's just me and him, plus his big sis at home, not like I'm leaving him somewhere strage with strange people so I don't get it! I know there's nothing else the matter other than he wants his mammy, needs to be in my arms or on my knee, and it lasts a good half hour usually before he can be left to play happily again. I can only assume it's separation anxiety.... perhaps magnified because he's grumpy after his afternoon nap?

I feel awful if I need to go see to his sister or anything as he breaks his heart crying, tears streaming down his face, looking for me like I'm never going to return. Poor thing! Anybody elses little one's doing this? I guess I've just got to ride it out... just a phase?

XXXX

Replies

• Aww Sophia is very much like this!!! My hubs doesn't understand why I can't get anything done during the day as she cries and whines when I leave the room. I went to the supermarket with my mum and her boyf and he was pushing the trolley with her in it to let us girls look round, she just cried until I started pushing it again! She will happily go to people but she needs to have me in sight! The only person she loves going to is her daddy. My hubby says I've done it myself and made a rod for my own back but what mother doesn't oblige their baby? To be honest I think I have separation anxiety, she is going in her cot this weekend, in our room so she isn't moving but I thought she would need to go at the end of the bed and I was nearly in tears that I couldn't wake up and see her face straight away, luckily the cot will fit next to my side of the bed!!!

Maybe it's an age thing and once they start mixing a bit more and spending time away they will adjust! Sophia has still never spent a night away from me and I still feel no where near ready!!! xxxx
  • Jason is just like this and has been for ages. He is grand as long as there is someone with him but when its just the two of us if I leave the room or turn away to get a nappy he has a total melt down! It does my wee head in!
  • I havent experienced this but I know a friend who's LO did and what she found worked as an exercise, she'd say to LO 'back in a minute' and go out of the room for 10 seconds then go back and say to LO 'Hello I'm back again' then she'd stay for a few mins repeat 'back in a minute' go out from the room for 20 seconds, then back in and 'hello i'm back again' ... you get the picture

so basically she repeated this for a couple of times each day for just a little while and it seemed to make things better.

maybe worth a try

xx
  • Izzy is just the same. We have a changer on top of her cot and if i move away from it for a second she screams like mad!!!!!

She isnt too bad in the mornings when she isnt tired but during the afternoon it gets worse.

As much as i find it annoying i just do what Raeyas mummy said.I will say 'wont be a min' on leaving and when returning i say 'im back'. The second i get back she has a massive beam on her face.Its quite cute hehe.