Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How are you new mums?

My litlle boy is 11 days old today (OMG where has that time gone!!!!!!) just wondered how you new mums are feeling??

I dont really feel tired as my hubby has been doing his fair share of the nite feeds and we've both managed to catch an hour or so sleep on the sofa during the day, but I'm concerned about whats going on down below? I'm still bleeding, not really heavy but as I used to use Tampax (tmi sorry) this isnt something I'm used too. Is this normal for 11 days after birth??? how long does it usually last?

My emotions are all over the place too, 1 minute I'm fine, next I'm in tears thinking I'm a bad mother cause my little boy is crying.

I would go through pregnancy and labour again (even though the birth wasnt straight forward) but I'm struggling a bit with everything that goes on afterwards (I guess as its my first I dont know what to expect)

Anyone else feeling like this?

Nicky + Evan (11 days)

Replies

• Hi there

i only gave birth 4 days ago so dont know about the bleeding but have been told it can last up to 6 weeks

however i am having similar problems with emotions

am really struggling to BF and have had to go buy formula today ashavent been able to get in touch with midwife etc to help me as its a sunday no one seemed to be answering

so have spent most of the day in tears as i feel i have failed my little boy and cant seem to deal with the fact that bottle feeding wont do him any harm etc

how are you doing now nicky1976 ? feeling any better xx
  • Ahhh I know what you mean about BF, I was adament that I was going to breast feed my little boy but because he came so early I couldnt and he had to put on the bottle, when my milk did come through I tried to express but couldnt express enough to satisfy him, so I went back to the bottle - I came to the conclusion that at least with the bottle I know exactly how much he is taking in and that I wasnt starving him.

Dont feel as though you've failed your little boy, your body has been through alot, and your love and cuddles will make him happy.

I'm still very emotional at the moment, my hubby goes back to work on wednesday and I am dreading it, I'm worried that I wont be able to cope with a crying baby. My hubby has been so good with him whilst hes been off, which has probably made it worse for me. I guess at the end of the day I will have to manage, somehow.
    Nicky

[Modified by: Nicky1976 on August 15, 2010 07:11 PM]

• Hi, I usually post in dueinjuly but George was born 15 days late by forceps (really bad labour) on 4th August so thought I would post here too. I switched from breast feeding to formula on Saturday as I just couldn't do it anymore after nearly ten days. I was in pain and I don't think he was getting enough and I know I have made the right decision for both of us as it was getting to the point where I woudn't move from the sofa in case I woke him up and he would want another feed. My breasts are sore but am seeing the GP tomorrow for some tablets to dry my milk up (midwife reccomendation).
    I was in tears for the last four days on and off which i've heared is very normal but am feeling a lot better today so hoping i'm through the worst of it!
    Just wanted to let you both know that I was feeling the same about coming off breastfeeding and the tears so that you know that you are not alone.
    Love Karen and George 12 days x
  • Well at least i now know i'm not the only hormonal wreck!! My LO is now 14days old and i'm just starting to feel a bit more sane but before now i've been a bit of a mess. Have cried every day several times a day for numerous reasons and have also felt like a bad mother when my baby cries. I am Ex BF but my DS is soooooo hungry, i feel like i do nothing but feed. Not giving in tho so am holding on to the words of wisdom from those further down the line that it does get easier!
    Sleep deprivation is so overwhelming, as well as being so demanded upon by such a little dependent thing-at least we have eachother for support.
    Continue with the good work ladies.........
    xXx
  • Aww I can identify with everyone here!! Sophia is 13 days today, loves to sleep in the day when I seem to have stuff to do and she is so hard to get to sleep in the night. I am breastfeeding but I have mastitis in one breast which is really really painful but I have to keep expressing to get rid of it and to keep up my milk supply, it doesn't help that the one breast she favours doesn't seem to produce enough to satisfy her. I had to give her one formula top up since I brought her home and cried the whole day because I felt like I'd failed her, just total whooosh of emotions!!!! I cried today at the BT advert grrr hormones!!!! Love love love being a mum but the sleep deprivation is hard to deal with, it's only going to get better though???

Lyns and Sophia (13 days) xxx