Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how much formula

hiya have just moved to ff from bf and struggling with how much tlo give jacob . the carton says 5oz 5 times a day but he guzzles 5 oz and is hungry 2 hrs later maybe less

he hasnt stopped tonight and am worried i mihjt over feed him

is that possible

how much do ur babie have

he is a month old

Replies

• lol, I've just posted a similar issue (demand feeding) so you're not on your own!!, Evan feeds between 4/5 ozs every 3 hours which means he has 8 feeds in 24 hours, the SMA tin states for 4/5 oz he should have 6 feeds in 24 hours so I'm in the same boat, are we overfeeding him? or is it just a case of feed them when they're hungry!!!! why dont these babies come with an instruction manual eh!!!
    Nicky + Evan 5weeks 4days

[Modified by: Nicky1976 on September 10, 2010 09:28 PM]

• God I have the opposite! Sophia should be taking 5oz too but struggles to take 3oz! Maybe he is just a hungry baby? My brother was the same when he was born, think mum had to put him on rice milk so it was thicker on his stomach and would fill him up but I dont know what they do these days? xxx
  • arhhh i think u can overfeed them jacob will noy stop throwing milk up feel so guilty hope he ok he isnt crying just spitting it all back up
  • Jason is taking 6oz every 2-3 hours but he is a big baby. If he is spitting milk back up he is probably having too much. Check the flow of the teat it should be slow flow for a new born to stop him from taking it too fast and then throwing it up. We had this problem and switched to aptimil comfort that has a thickener in it to stop babies from chugging it and getting lots of wind. You need a medium flow teat for the comfort milks.
  • Thanks faithie it's the doctor brown bottles as ge gets very bad wind and the wind is better but he just does not seem to know when he is full . Might ask hv about the comfort . Thought it would be easier when I put him on formula lol x x