Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

To dream feed or not-that is the question?!

Hi there!

I have started a bedtime/nightime routine with my LO now almost 6weeks. He's been very good so far and is usually in bed asleep (also now in his cotbed in his own room) by 7.30pm after a bath and feed. I had decided to do a dream feed at about 10.30-11pm and he then wakes again at about 3am then normally again around 6am. (He's BF then topped with formula)
However i'm now wondering whether waking him is a good idea. He seems soooo sound asleep, he doesn't complain and goes staright back to sleep but i really have no idea how long he would sleep if i left him to his own devices?
I decided to wake him mainly cos he had weight gain issues initially (hence the formula top ups) and didn't want him to go longer than 4hrs without a feed but he's starting to put weight on now so i'm debating leaving him to see what he does.
What do you think? :\?
Do any of you do dream feeds?
Gosh, wish they came with instructions-lol!! :lol:
mummaJ
xXx

Replies

• Options
    I just feed on demand - if he lets me know he is hungry I feed him. Sleep is so precious I wouldn't be getting out of bed unless he is demanding food or I was given medical advice because of weight gain issues.But that's just me as you say there is no manual lol!
  • Options
    This is such a difficult one, at the minute I would/am feeding on demand as thats the start of getting into a routine (Noah normally goes 4 hours between feeds but sometimes goes less in the day and usually around 5 hours at night)
    If its working for you and your baby stick with it x
  • Options
    Hi there, I did wake Millie up to start with as she had lost more than 10% of her body weight. We woke her up every 4 hours if she didn't wake up before. But now she is gaining weight we just feed on demand. I express and give her a bottle in the evening as late as possible and for a few nights this week she has slept between midnight and 6:30 or 2am til 7:30.
  • Options
    i have tired to get Esmae into a routine too she is only 3weeks 3days so bit early but i have now got to be out the house to drop my son off at nursery school anyways.

i tired the dreamfeed for a few nights in a row as Esmae does:
    Bath 6:30
    Bottle 7/7:30
    Bed
    awake at 1:30/2:30
    up at 6:30/7am

so i tried a dreamfeed at 11pm she drank about 3oz never really woke up but then still woke for her early morning bottle but never drank it all then ended up waking earlier in the morning bout 6am.

if it works for you great but i think babies WILL wake when hungry

hth MJ xxx
  • Options
    Well just a little update....
    Last night i decided to leave DS and not wake him for a dream feed but he woke himslef at 11.30pm anyway-lol! I think i'll just carry on that way and take his lead for now.
    Thanks for your replies!
    xXx