Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Who is / is not pulling up their pants & shorts after loo?

My LO is quite a big fella and his pants/shorts get stuck on on his bottom - saying that he does seem to be being lazy about it! So wondered who could /couldn't and if Im expecting too much but I don't think I am and he is starting pre-school come Sept.

Replies

• Rhys struggles getting them back up (he usually pulls them off rather than just down. He can do his underpants a bit easier than his trousers though but more often than not needs help.
    It also takes him awhile to pull them down too.
  • hmmmm well now you have got me thinking - Max doesn't pull his pants and trousers DOWN or back up! He gets himself to the potty or toilet and then just waits for one of us to get there to do it for him! Apparently at nursery he is much more independet with it but we see none of it at home although I guess he is gonna have to stay when this new lo arrives!

What about wiping??? I know gross but I don't know how much to leave him to it - he will dab his willy if he has a wee but wouldn't even attempt to wipe his bum when should we encourage that???

Max seems to have gone backwards quite a bit the last few days with his training I really thought it was totally cracked but apparently not! He has had really loose poss though so I am hoping it is just because of that! Maybe they just go through phases of being a bit better and a bit worse??? Dunno we'll see what happens.
  • I think you can get a dip Charlie especially as you start to relax and don't heap on the praise as much. We faded out giving Oakley stickers but had to go back to it for a few days. Or it could just be he's not 'right' with the loose poos. (Oakley had one last week - pants had to be thrown but pretty sure it was his 19th tooth coming through)

I don't think they should be wiping bottoms and Id never even thought about the dabbing of the willy we just shake and then pants up.

Feel better about the others not being there with pants/shorts but it is something Im going to encorage big time this summer hols. Might go for stickers for doing that.
  • Maxi Mum Rhys has seemed to have taken a bit of a step back this last week and I think we've had more accidents this week than the rest of the time using the potty.
    Like El said I think it's where we cooled off with the praise and stickers, so he now gets a sticker if he has a full day witout accidents and hoping he will get there again. Just glad we've finally cracked the toilet and he asks to use it over the potty now.
  • ohhh that's brill that Rhys wants the toilet over the potty. I am sticking with potty for the mo cos I think it'll be easier when the new one arrives not to have to be running to another room.
  • Zachariah can pull his trousers and nappy/pants off but can't do it with his shoes on and doesn't do the hanging around ankle thing yet so we are hit n miss. He absolutely can't get anything back up though.
  • fin can pull pants up and down sometimes right up his bum bless him- but trousers not so good its my fault as he needs some more easy trousers to use the jeans have belts on etc and so did think about trying to get some jeans etc with the jersey type bit at top! we have progressed to potty in bathroom now and i dont ask or anything he just says and goes and really good with poos aswell just goes doesnt seem bothered - hope it carries on! if out he just says and we get potty out - has used toilet few times and hubby took for lunch other day and he just took hi toilet and he was fine just means less independant cause even with step cant reach where as potty he can go if you get me!!!

we dont wipe when wee - is that bad??? i just pull pants up - when poos i wipe for him - no way he could do that now!

• Philip can get tracksuit bottoms & pants down, but nothing with button on like jeans, he can get pants all the way up but not any trousers, they get stuck round his bum.

He did a classic on saturday, put stool in front of toilet, climbed on, lifted seat and wee'd - forgot to take pants & trousers down first! Result one wet boy who couldn't work out why his trousers were wet when he used the toilet!