Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Buggies

Just wondering how much your lo's will walk for, do you still take a buggy out and about with you? Holly walks a lot of the time but I havent ventured out much without it. She will walk into town (about 1.5mile) and back home again but I think its a little too far (including walking round the shops) so I tend to let her walk into town then put her in her buggy while we are in town and let her walk most of the way back. However I do see lots of kids her age ish walking and equally some who are always in buggies. Also when you are walking do you make them hold your hand or have a little back pack thing?

Replies

• Max will walk for miles but always in the wrong direction :roll: so if we are out with a purpose - getting somewhere etc - he still goes in the buggy! I daren't go without the buggy anywhere cos if he goes on strike he's too heavy to carry around very far!

We just hold his hands - he does have reins but hates them!
  • Zachariah enjoys walking but loves being carried too. I drive into town/shopping centres. If it's a short trip we'll walk but if I need him to be good I'll put him in the buggy. If daddy is with us I don't mind walking so much as he can carry zachariah but he's just too heavy for me now for long periods of time. We do hold his hand but I usually regret it, we've got a little tikes back pack which he loves and carries his biscuits or juice. It just means he has a lead but we loop it on our wrist and hold his hand- it's great as he can't run off exploring every isle/shelf/corner of a shop and we do get to look about a bit, always a disaster when I forget the back pack!
    So basically buggy if long trip and back pack if wandering aimlessly and carry if it's a run in and out jobby! Lol - totally useless reply but I thought I'd add it anyway image
  • Buggy if it's going to be long, or sometimes I tie shopping in with his nap (he's a boy and doesn't really enjoy it)! But if we are only out for a little bit then just recently without. Sometimes I'll ask him.
  • If i am taking both floyd and carter then i always take the phil & teds double just because if he decides he doesnt want to walk then i cant carry him and push the pram, i often take hm out on his own and let him walk, i hold his hand to cross the road but let him walk on the inside of me on his own, i tend to let him be independent in alot of things and it has made very safety concious about certain things and in this case the road, he knows that you always stay on the pavement and will tell people off if they are not on it, when we cross the road he wil spend ages checking there are no cars and then will try to get to other other side swiftly lol, if i no i am goin to go into alot of shops i will take his buggy as it is quite hard to shop/browse and keep an eye on him....altough there has been a few times when i have walked with no buggy and floyd has fallen asleep in shops so i have been stuck there until someone cold come n pick us up or bring a buggy lol...
    Its quite hard to say weather or not lo will be ok without a buggy as i have had a few disasters when i havent had it... i think there comes a time when they say they dont want to be in it anymore so i guess they will let us no when they dont need it anymore!! xx
  • I tend to use the buggy when down town, just for ease. If we walk to the park, I push her in the pram while on the road, but let her walk in the park. She's quite good at going back in, not too much fuss, unlike the boys! Both boys walked a lot daily with the cm, and learnt to hold the pram from 18m. Now Gracie is back with this cm, she'll also be walking lots when she's there.
  • Philip will walk holding our hand round to the supermarket but if we go into town he tends to go in pushchair purely because we go on a sturday when the street market is on in the town so paths are severely reduced! Given the choice he will walk everytime! When we go shopping he wants to walk but get a big trolley as a threat if he runs off he goes in the seat, usually works!
  • I always take a buggy when out as Elijah will just want to run in everywhere and i cant get anything done! lol. At supermarket he will sit in trolley but moans and moans the whole time! He also hates just sitting in buggy around town and moans about that too! I often take his reigns and put those on him for some of the time if im not in a rush. Hubby or someone is always with me though since being unwell xx