Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

toy advice please

Right - I think max is a bit bored by the toys we have as he has had most of them a while now but I had a brief look in ELC today and everything I thought would be good for him said 3+ (he's 20 months) a lot of them when I looked I could NOT tell why there were no small pieces or anything so I was tempted to buy some anyway but didn't. Even if he could have them now I am worried that buying things for 3+ now means that when he gets a bit older there'll be nothing new and interesting to get him then .... if that makes sense.

So we don't have loads of stuff but he really enjoys inset puzzles (but we have a few - we've got some proper puzzles that I tried him with but he didn;t really get it!) he has a garage that he LOVES and tons of cars, we have bought him a little train set from Ikea which he likes and I might get him some more of that, he has mega bloks that he enjoys .... he has other things that he sometimes likes but not anythign really popular. He likes paper and crayons too but only for short time!

Any ideas of good buys?????? Not too expensive if poss!! Sorry I am posting this all over!!!! image

Replies

• Options
    hmm tricky isn't it. we bought zach loads of 3 plus toys for his 3rd birthday and he grew out of a lot of them quickly and noah plays with them. i think a lot of toys that are robust are safer than things that are going to fall apart and have sharp bits or tiny bits falling off. a lot of toys that say 3 plus may only have a few bits in that are small and then you can take them out and put them away.
    zach was given a playmobile camper can for christmas and it has mini everything - plates, cups, cameras - even tiny knives and forks. we had to put all of that out of the way.
    its impossible though when you have an older child to not let your younger one play with them. all noahs favourite toys are aimed for older children!
    its a shame woolies isn't around cos we used to love going in there.
    noah spends ages riding around on his car and also likes cars and trains. a bigger toy like an ambulance or firre engine that makes noises is a good bet, zach's got an ambulance that has sirens and speaks and moves backward and forward.
    not been very helpful i'm afraid. i can't think of anything really good cos noah and zach just potter around.
    duplo sets that actually build stuff ?. we got lego for zach and he was getting frustrated cos it was too difficult (even for me) and the duplo fire engine and rubish truck were presents on his birthday and both boys like them.
    or how about a little farm set? - that doesn't have to be too expensive and if hes got a toy tractor you're half way there already!!
  • Options
    Replied on toddler, ride ons are fab!
    Julesy lol I read rubbish truck and thought you were saying it was crap! D'oh- rubbish truck haha!
  • Options
    Hi, we got Bren an aqua mat thing to play with at my mums when we were over and he loved that. The other thing we do (while it i nice enough to be outside) is give him a bucket of water and put a load of his toy cars and planes in it. He loves fishing them out and putting them back!!
    Other things Bren loves are his sweeping brush, fisher price cookie jar shape sorter, plastic whistle that hubby uses for pe! Best thing I got was a toy box for the living room as the part that keeps him entertained longest is pulling things out!! xxx
  • Options
    i would say fin has the things you have said, then things like a hoover he loves, puppets that he can use or me (short play thou) any type of vehicle big small noisy he loves them all, those aqua draw mats are fab we brought some small ones and plan to get fin the thomas one for his bday that the train follows the track..... pretend tools, hammer, saw.... then if can go outsode he wiull spend ages in sand pit, plays with his lawn mower, wheel barrow, also bowl of water and old paint brush he thinks he's painting the fence and pictures on floor very cute!!! dvd's fin is obsessed with fireman sam and thomas and books!!!!

what i would say is fin needs some new things but he'll have to wait now for bday/xmas BUT i will be getting him basically everything for 3+ a lot of what he plays with at childminders/friends is and he's fine!

want to get him some big lego think its duplo - my nan got him some with farm stuff and he loves it, also one of those stand up work benches (argos jcb ??21.99 i think)

xx
  • Options
    Well I put water and bubbles in Elijah's little wheelbarrow he has in the garden and he likes floating things in there.
    He also has a chunky train set which moves when you sit a man in it, which he loves.
    He has lots of big toy animals (they do in ELC but are quite expensive for what they are, you may be able to get more for cheaper elsewhere.)
    Lately Elijah loves pushing a little plastic shopping trolley around with food, cups plates etc in. And he has a little microwave too.

Alot of stuff my mum picks up in charity shops/bootsales and we just milton it very well xx