Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Audiology appointment

Noah had his audiology appointment on Friday. He had to listen to sounds and when he heard them he had to put a brick in the box. It was so cute because he was holding the brick to his ear and listening to it intently! He heard every single sound even the quiet ones she let me listen to one and I could barely hear it! She said some were quieter than that and he heard them so perfect hearing. I guess he gets refered back to hv now and if she thinks he needs to see a speach therapist.

Replies

• Great news that he managed to get all the sounds! At least you know there is nothing wrong with his hearing! Keep us posted on what the hv says xxx
  • Great news that he managed to get all the sounds! At least you know there is nothing wrong with his hearing! Keep us posted on what the hv says xxx
  • That's fantastic that there's nothing wrong with his hearing and sounds very cute listening to the brick lol
  • that takes me back I was under a ear, nose and throat specialsit hospital for years and that's what I had to do. At leat that's been rules out. Hope you can get somewhere with Speech theraipst
  • Well done Noah! That is fab news xxx
  • Good stuff.

Can I aske what the probkem is?? Lack of speech? intellegability of speech??

Just interested!
  • Ah bless him, glad all good with hearing xxx
  • Hi max I don't mind you asking at all! In January I mentioned to a hv he hardly said anything and she wasn't too concerned and neither was I - it was more a question of should I be worried? She said to wait for his check at 2 &1/2 and made a note of it. When I had his check most of it revolved around his speach his hearing his ability to understand how many words he has how clear they are what he's like at preschool all in relation to whether he needs a speach therapist. He's quite shy when in company and can not say a word but at home he's become chatty although his words are not all that clear yet but we an normally understand him so it's difficult to say I've also never thought towork out how many words he can say or how chatty he is at preschool so I couldn't really answer those questions. I think he's probably fine just a bit slower than some and with an older brother to speak for him that doesn't help!
    The audioligist will refer back to hv but I think they will wait to see how I think he's getting on in sept/ oct. It's really tricky for me as a mum to know tho as my eldest spoke quickly and has always been very clear. Noah can't say p for peppa pig and g and d are not clear he often speaks from his throat but I don't think there is any French in my family!!!
    They've pretty much said it's probably not anything to worry about but if it is it's best toget it sorted at an early age
  • Oh wow, glad the test went well. Zachariah's hearing test involved him clinging to my arms in fear and them making noises around the room and watching for a response! Hmmmm - yours sounds a lot more professional and Noah a lot more advanced lol!
    I'm glad he's getting chartist- I'd have thought having zach there makes a huge difference to his speech- I was apparently an early talker but my brother was 3 as I'd talk for him image
    We're still no better on speech but I've no idea what we cando to help him as the speech therapist feels if he could, he would as he's so communicative using signs etc. Really hope Noah does a complete turn around soon and if not that the therapist gives him the kick start he 'may' need image
  • * chartist ----- chattier, sorry!
  • ohhh not been on here for ages and just thought I'd do a spot of catching up as i see what everyones up too on facebook - my eldest spoke really early and clearly - then when no 2 came along - she did baby speak till about 4 - drove us bananas - we were the only ones who understood her. now shes 11 and wish she still did the baby talk......
  • hi. Ive not been on here for ages!!!! My lo has the same problem as noah. I went to the hv and said i was concerned about his speech. She refered me to audio as she said he may have glue ear and also to speech theropy. He has this on fri but no audio clinic yet. He has all the symtoms of glue ear and also may have to have his adenoids and toncils removed as he snores and speaks from the back of his throat and also dribbles constantly and spits wen he talks. He also stands up close to the tv and turns it allll the way up. We'll see what happens. I know he can hear things but hv said the sounds may be a bit muffled with glue ear. Hope noahs speech therapy goes ok. Good news about his hearing though, ht off your weigt off ur mind id suppose?? xx
  • I'd recommend you give your local speech and language therapy clinic a call and just have a chat. At my clinic we're more than happy to speak with parents and give general advice. They may even run 'pre-referral' activities which are specifically designed to give support BEFORE a child needs officially referred. We have drop-in clinics in nurseries and libraries where an speech and language therapist is around to have informal chats with parents about any concerns. We also have a telephone advice line. These services may be available in your area also. Just a point to note - you DON'T need to go through a HV or GP to refer to speech and language therapy. We have an open referral process which mean anyone, including parents, can refer. This avoids unnecessary delay. Just wanted to let you know this stuff in case you need it. X