Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Obi1 - Colief and Infacol?

Hi Obi1,

The Colief I ordered over the net finally arrived yesterday - thought it would be quicker then my mum bringing it out how wrong was I! Started giving it to Brendan yesterday in his bottle (trying to be organised to keep on top of it with the timings!) and I stopped giving him the infacol not wanting to double dose him (and because my hubby spilt most of the only bottle we had on the floor - :roll: doh!). But when I had a minute to think today I wondered whether I had done the right thing stopping the Infacol, as the colief claims to be non medicinal so perhaps I can use both together? Just wondered if your health visitor/ GP had advised you on this at all?

My MIL is coming out tomorrow and bringing more infacol so any advice you or anyone else can give would be appreciated. I can't ask my GP or health visitor out here as they don't even have infacol!

Thank you! :\)

Liz xx

Replies

• I was actually thinking the same thing myself as, in a rush & past feeding time i didn't give Philip his drops and an hour later he was doubled up so gave him some gripe water then thought after maybe i shouldn't have! I'm going to fetch his prescription for more drops tomorrow so when i collect them from chemist i will ask the pharmacist about mixing with infacol. HV told me not to mix infacol and gripe water but the last time i saw her we hadn't tried the colief. Will try and get on tomorrow to let you know what they say.

Hope that the colief is helping Brendan, and you!

Obi
  • Asked the pharmacist today and he said it would be ok but in theory the colief alone should be sufficient, i found it took a couple of days to really make a difference so try and stick with it, although when they are screaming in pain it's quite difficult.

Can you get colief in norway or is it only avaliable online to you? Being nosy how much did you pay for a bottle on the internet?
  • Thanks Obi1, in total I paid ??25 for 2 bottles which included deliver to Norway. It does seem to be helping him a bit but I think the Infacol is doing more for him. He is 7 weeks tomorrow so I am keeping my fingers crossed he grows out of it soon!!
    You can't get colief or infacol out here, they are very limited on stuff like this! He had his 6 week check yesterday and asked them about his problem bringing up wind and they said it was just a case of waiting for it to get better. I showed them the bottle of infacol and they had never heard of it!

Hope things are going well with you. x
  • Thats not a bad price considering it's ??9.99 a bottle here, thank god for NHS free prescriptions!

The concensus seems to be at about 12wks it suddenly stops, not that that's much comfort to a screaming baby in pain!!

We seem to have settled into a nice routine, greatly helped by stepkids being back at school, we even managed to get to Baby Massage class yesterday which he enjoyed so much he fell asleep for over 2 hours, unheard of during the day! Next week we are doing tums which she has promised me will help with colic and constipation (not that he suffers with that at the moment!). Hopefully tomorrow Philip will be going for his first swim, i'm so excited about putting him in Little Swimmers and his wetsuit!

It's so hard to believe that Brendan is 7wks and Philip is 9wks tomorrow, it seems to be only yesterday we were all on here debating whether you had gone into labour or not.

I got a good book from the library which shows different positions to try holding colicky babies in some of them seem to work with Philip, it's a Johnson's book, Your Baby's First Year, although very pro-breastfeeding it's got a lot of useful information in, bottle feeding is only mentioned in passing! Are you still combineing bottle & breast? I stopped bf on Sunday as i just didn't feel he was getting enough as i was constantly feeding, now he has a 7oz bottle 5 times a day! Too much according to the hv but i don't force him to take it all, he does that on his own!
  • Baby massage sounds very good, think its too modern for them to have heard of out here though! May have to invest in a book!
    Hope Philips first swim went well, we were hoping to take Brendan soon as the doctor said there was no reason to wait until his first jabs. Although the little swimmers only start at 15lbs and Brendan is only 10lbs 8oz so he has a while to wait unless I can find something else.

I have pretty much stopped breast feeding now too, he has only had the odd feeds from me the last few days and they were more for comfort for him then anything I think. If he is actually hungry and I try to feed him he just gets upset and frustrated as the milk I have is coming too slowly for him.

I have moved onto the medium size teats on the tommee tippee bottles which seem to be helping with his intake as he was falling asleep before! He is now more often then not taking just under 4oz compared to the 2-3oz he would have before. He is still feeding every 3 hours though even at night so I am hoping that he will drop one of his night feeds soon!

Got my MIL over at the mo and she is doing my head in a bit taking Brendan off me all the time. I know she wants to spend time with him and is only out here for a week but she isn't respecting the fact that when he is upset he is more easily calmed down by me or my oh. He just gets passed back to me when his nappy needs changing - and of course the night feeds!
    He hasn't been put down in his moses basket at all during the day since she has arrived as she insists on letting him sleep on her so I am dreading it when she goes and hoping it isn't teaching him that day time sleeps are going to be on me!!

Apparantly she weaned my oh when he was 8 weeks old!!! Giving him blended up apple and custard, and all sorts, she was telling me very smugly about it in a kind of 'didn't do him any harm'. So I just replied ' well thats lucky as the digestive system isn't so well developed that early to cope with it all and obviously there is a higher risk of babies choking at that age'. She soon shut up!!

What fun huh! Roll on Sunday when she flies back!!

Liz xxx
  • Liz - I've been meaning to post about stage 2 teats! Sounds like you had more successt han we did! We tried Cole with them and he was ok for 2 oz then started coughing and spluttering and got upset so we've stuck with stage 1 for now. I'll try him on them again in a week or so and see how we go. They aren't cheap though are they!!

Just as a thought - can you register Brendan with a doctor over here while you are visiting and get the coleif on prescription?

That sucks with your MIL. Have you tried saying something? I've started doing that with my mum if Cole fusses I just tell her to give him back. Don't think she likes it but I know best.. despite what she thinks... and all her comments in years gone by about how babies should be treated are now biting her in the arse..haha. I think I'm gonna have to be like that too with the inlaws to stop them trying to have Cole all the time.. hubby has already had to try and get through to them that we won't go out for a meal in the evening as it'll interupt Cole's bathtime. Good luck coping itll sunday
  • Philip enjoyed his swim! He looked so dinky in his wetsuit! I was even brave and let him go under water, i thought he'd scream but he didn't, just a little shocked! He had little swimmers on underneath which are 16lb+, they were a little big but the elasticated waistbands are quite good so it was ok, he is 12lb5oz.

We bought some tommee tippee ctn variflow teats over the weekend to try as sometimes he seems to be getting enough, then another feed he is frustrated as it's coming too slowly, so far so good he seems better on them so now waiting for dh payday so i can go and get another couple.

Philip dropped the nightime feeds all of a sudden, one night he just went 11-5 then 11-7, now settled on 9(ish) till 5.30 which is ok for me, unless he does his 4.30am session again. Why is it i can handle him waking at 3.30 or 5.30 for a feed but if it's 4.30 i can't settle back to sleep myself and then i'm horrible all day (not to Philip but poor dh!)

Hopefully Brendan won't get too hooked on daytime sleeps on you once mil goes home. I think i remember you saying you had the Linkadoos vibrating bouncer, is it the toddler rocker one? Philip now sleeps in his during the day with the kickstand out and the back reclined, he falls asleep on me then i gently put him in there and get about half an hour (if i'm lucky)
  • I'm really ready to scream at my MIL if she snatches Brendan off me one more time in a kind of 'here dear let me do it you obviously aren't settling him'!!!!!!!! *SIGH* I just keep telling myself only one more evening to go and then she will be on the plane home!! She talks to him in a silly baby voice and sings so badly it is painful to listen to, not surprised he cries - I feel like it too when she starts! =p

Glad the swimming went well Obi1, think I will wait until Brendan is a bit bigger so he fills the little swimmers a bit better and then go for it. I'm going to order him a wetsuit from JoJoMamanbebe so by the time it arrives he should have put a bit more weight on. Very excited about it!
    Wish he would drop a night feed, he is still doing every 3 hours but he is more settled now (usually!) so not taking too long to get back to sleep after his bottle.

Kia - I know what you mean about how pricey the teats are! We have got 9 bottles but only got 6 of the size 2 teats since they are something like ??3.50 a pair. They know how to get money out of us don't they! I gave Brendan his first bottle with a size 2 really slowly - let his suck for a few seconds and then pulled it out so he realised it was coming faster than normal. Also I fed him early so he wasn't ravenous when he was taking the bottle which I think helped. Now he does have odd moments where he takes it too fast and coughs but generally he is coping well and isn't falling asleep when feeding like he was with the size 1s.

The bouncy chair we have Obi1 is the fisher price kick and play, Brendan mainly likes sitting in it on vibrate while watching Thomas the Tank engine! Really funny lately as we have been putting him in it first thing and putting Thomas on and as soon as he hears the music a huge smile spreads across his face! Bless him - makes the night feeds worthwhile anyway!!

Hope you all have a fab weekend, I will let you know whether I scream at my MIL before she flies home lol!

Liz xx
  • Liz - I hope you haven't killed your MIL its bloody annoying when parents think they know best I ended up slamming the phone down on my mother last night because she was driving me up the wall with her advice/ criticism of what we were doing.

Obi1- The where did you get the wet suit for Philip? As i am thinking of getting one for Marcus to take him to the pool soon. Do you have one of the floating seats or did you just hold him in the pool? I am trying to work out what is best to do for our first trip to the pool soon. Waiting till after our 6 week check on Thurs.

Jillycat
  • Liz - your MIL sounds like a nightmare - at least she doesn't live down the road from you - imagine her popping round every 5 min!

I think I'm probably really lucky - my mum has given up giving me advice (she tried after my 16 year old was born and it didnt work then so she hasn't tried again - mind you Bryn is her 19th grandchild so I don't think she's that bothered anymore!) My MIL is very laid back and thinks I'm wonderful (after hubby last 2 wives I guess i'm 3rd time lucky!! lol) so she wouldn't dream of telling me what to do with Bryn - doesn't stop her from telling me to lose weight but hey ho she has a point!

For those of you that have changed to bottlefeeding - do your los seem more settled? Bryn is still waking regularly through the night and if we are not out and about he wants feeding every 2 hours (sometimes every hour) during the day.... hes gaining weight brilliantly so I don't think thats hes not getting enough - just greedy maybe or hes snacking rather than having a proper feed.

Hope everyone is well and happy

Em x
  • Omg liz..you have the patience of a saint!! How have you managed to not tell her to piss off!?? Noone has tried to give me any 'advice' yet if they think I'm not doing stuff right and I won't be shy in telling them its not wanted.. I'm just waiting for my mother to start on dummies again... and if she says to cole that I'm a mean mummy for waking him (he'd been asleep for 3 h ours and hadn't been feeding well that morning!) then I'm gonna give her what for! Guess its not so bad that the worst I have to put up with is her trying to meet up with me every week for lunch or something..just cause I'm not working I don't want to go into town with her all the time... that and the random visits on sundays... they can't seem to understand that we might want hubbys day off to ourselves despite numerous comments about it being his only day off where we try and relax.

Got the inlaws visiting soon and I may have to entertain them by myself for a bit so I hope they don't try interfearing. No idea what I'm gonna do with them!!! They have a habit of setting off really early when going places so I hope they don't think they will be turning up on my doorstep at 10am expecting me to let them in!! I'm not usually dressed at that time and I have bottles to sort out and stuff in a morning!! Besides 10am on a Saturday I like to watch the repeat of Dancing on Ice!

I am highly unimpressed though tthat hubbys auntie and uncle have started referring to Cole as CJ. That had better not still be happening when we go to his brothers wedding as I will be saying something. I have real issues with people who randomly shorten peoples names or give them nicknames whehter they like it or not.. I used to ignore a teacher at school who persisted in shortening my name even though I have never used that.

Sorry bout the mini rant there!!

Liz - I'll be trying the stage 2 teats again next week and I'll try your way.. thanks image

Obi - glad to hear the swimming went well. We want to take Cole.. hopefully my friend will find her little boys old swimsuit and lend it to us image

Em - Cole is mostly bottlefed and is definately more settled at nights and will sometimes go quite a long time without feeding, although sometimes he fusses for a feed and then falls asleep wihtout having much. I think sometimes he wants the comfort of sucking, or just a snack.
  • YEAH MY MIL HAS GONE HOME!!!!!!! =D

Big sigh of relief, really couldn't have taken any more! Really hard being tactful when I was getting so peed off but as she was staying with us it wasn't so easy telling her where to go! Towards the end I was having to walk away from her when I was holding Brendan so she couldn't take him off me! Think she got the message eventually though when she saw me feed and burp him and he was all calm and contented. We've been telling her all week that just putting him on your shoulder to burp him isn't enough as he gets really bad trapped wind, and shown her our technique for getting it up but she still ignored us which resulted in him crying after every feed she gave as he was in pain.

Ah well, she is gone now, just have to look forward to Easter when we are going back and will be staying with her for the first few days back!
    Funniest moment this week though was when she finally offered to change a nappy and my oh asked if she needed any help. She very angrily told him she was pretty sure she knew how to change a nappy and then proceeded to half rip apart a disposable trying to find the sticky tabs, and then when we undressed him for bathtime an hour later we realised she had put it on backwards lol!!! I had to bite my tongue not to laugh out loud!

Jilly cat- I'm sure you can get them in stores but you can also get the wetsuits in jojomamanbebe.co.uk they are ??16 and postage and packaging is free on all orders so worth a look. They also do a swim float which I think I am going to get which is ??13.

Em- Brendan is still only going about 3hrs between feeds and is pretty much totally bottlefed now. He is taking less at his 3am feed now though and I can sometimes settle him back down for half an hour or so with a dummy so I think he will drop this feed first. Here's hoping anyway!!

I'm off to relax now and enjoy a peaceful house without my MIL! =D

L xxx
  • Liz - you can relax now! And have your lil man back! My mil's brill with Gracie and doesn't grab her as soon as she comes round, in fact she waits to have her given, or just lets her be left doing whatever she's doing at the time!
    Gracie stopped her night feed because i gave her a dummy instead of feed and she just slept on. She stirs around 5/6am still but i bring her into bed with me and she stays asleep. He'll get there soon!
    Obi - can't believe your hv said you were giving Philip too much milk - Gracie has the same and will only have the full 7oz if she needs it. Bet swimming was good!
    Em - Gracie's been much more settled on combo of formula and gaviscon. She gets her wind up much better and is sleeping through. My eldest took a few more weeks to sleep thru after giving up bf and he was a big baby like Bryn is so it isn't always a miracle cure, if you will.

Felt really bad this aft as forgot to pack gaviscon in bag when we went out and Gracie's been in pain with the reflux and sicking loads....least i know it works as she's ok usually. Bad mummy!
  • Jilly - i bought a wetsuit 2nd hand from e-bay as the ones i was looking at on internet were about ??25, then after it arrived i got the new jojomamanbebe book where they are ??16 so will be getting one of those when this is too small. I just held him this time and probably will for a few more sessions then will be getting a seat for him. If you have a poundstretcher near you look in there, apparently they have them for ??3 and they are the same as the ones in Argos which are about ??13.

Em - Philip has been a lot more settled since he went completely to bottles, although he does still try to get a bit of boobie every now and again, to which his dad says Good lad! Sometimes i wish i was still bf but then i think about the time i now spend playing and interacting with him which before was spent feeding, not easy to play and feed at the same time.

Kia - some of the babies at the session were only wearing their little swimmers, it does mean you can't stay in for too long cos they get cold quicker but does save the expense of buying a suit if you don't go often. As a family we go every week and with my friend we plan on going a couple of times a week which is the only reason i bought a wetsuit.

Liz - hows the peace and quiet now mil has gone? Has Brendon settled back into your routine ok? As Alioli says he'll soon get the hang of sleeping longer.

Can you tell i haven't had time to get on here for a few days!! Only on now as dh has been called to work, Philip is settleing himself down to sleep, the dog is feed and i've got 5 mins me time!

Hope you are all ok
  • Liz I don't know how you didn't say sometihng to MIL!!!! Bet its so much better in your house now! Funny nappy story though!

Obi - I'd never thought about babies getting cold in the pool till I read something here. One of the pools nearby has the babies session at 9pm! helpful huh!! I'd like to go swimming regularly..just not sure when we'll find the time!
  • 9pm?!! Have they never heard of routines and something called sleep?!
    Think when my mum's finished jet-setting I'll ask her to come with me, Alfie and Gracie to the baths. We have a pool which is lovely and warm but freezing when you get out! It's a few miles away but the NEW pool in town has communal changing...logic please when the fear of paedophiles etc is great? So won't be going there and jostling with lo's whilst trying to keep my towel up!
    Hope Brendan's back to normal Liz! Do your in laws still live in Helmshore?
  • Liz... how on earth did she put a nappy on backwards??? she must have thought modern nappies were harder work than the old ones!!! - poor Brendan I bet he's pleased to have you back to himself.

Thank you all - I think I'm going to bf until hes 3 months then I think i'll try bottle feeding x
  • Hate to admit this but i have tried to put a nappy on back to front as well, although i think sleep deprevation was playing a part in it, couldn't work out where the tabs had gone, not as bad as shaking the phone whilst trying to dial a number on the bottle.......
  • Lol! The things we do!
  • I'm just very glad I'm not the only one doing (or saying) daft stuff - I keep getting names mixed up - Tristan my eldest is fed up of being called Ophelia or Dave and Dave my hubby gets called Tristan..... I do think they have started using my forgetfulness to their advantage though - I keep getting 'well I did tell you' when I'm pretty sure they haven't at all...either that or I really am going mad!.....Roll on a full nights sleep! x