Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can't believe I'm asking this question...

For those of you with older children what is the protocol for putting down childrens name for school?

I have asked the Office Manager at my school but didn't even get acknowledged that I had spoken!

I know he's only 2 but the local school (1 min door to door!) is very popular and as they have reduced their pan to 60 from 90 i'm worried that he might not get a place, especially as they are building lots of new houses just around the corner.

Should I go to the school to ask for the forms or do i need to phone pupil admissions?
Sorry if i'm asking daft questions!
x

Replies

• its never too early to think about school if you live in an area where it makes a difference as to where your child goes - some people put there childrens name down at birth!!
    if you write to your school they can put your name down BUT in recent years i think generally the local LEA or council is responsible for placing children. In our area we had a letter from the council asking us to apply by a certain date. you get a first and second choice and you get an option to express if you feel there are special circumstances as to why your child should get into that school.
    after that date all applications are assesed and children are allocated their places. if a school is over subscribed i believe it is up to the council not the school as to which children they take so it is likely that putting your name down at a school will not make any difference. but worth checking.
    In my area they select the children by who lives nearest and who has siblings at the school.
    I have just done this process for my sons school and fortunately its the biggest primary in the area so rarely gets over subscribed. a couple of the smaller primaries did get over subscribed and in the end it came down to who lived nearest.
    if there is a pre-school attached to the school getting him in and used to the school and the area may help him adjust but may not be enough of a special circumstance to get him a foot in the door.
    its definately worth asking because if it ever did come down to the school to make a choice between 2 similar cases they would probably select the person they knew had expressed an interest early on.
    i'm not sure if thats very helpful as i only know how it works in our area!
  • I had Ophelia's name down at our local school when she was one only to find that doesn't count anymore!! In this area you have to apply to the council a year before - I think the closing date is december. So for Bryn I'll have to put his name down at the end of next year. Not sure how it works in other counties. As Jules said it might be different where you are...... I know Cornwall had all the info on their website so maybe try your local council's webpage. xx
  • I rung the school I want cole to go to when he was 6 months old lol. THey said they'd write his name down but I should get in touch when he's 3. So... January 2011 they'll be getting a phone call lol. I don't want him going to the other school
  • Here is how it works in Herts -

You will get a pack sent through the post for Nursery, Primary School and Secondary the dates vary a little as to how far in advance and can be checked on the Herts website.

The pack will outline to you the admissions policy and have info on the schools.
    Here the intake goes like this:

1. Any 'looked after children'
    2. Special needs
    3. Those with siblings at the school
    4. Those that would have the furthest distance to reach the next school

But every LEA is different. Look at the county web site.

One final thought....I saw an interview with I think Ed Balls (education secutary) He said that he would consider changing the whole sytem to a lottery as it's the fairest way as it is equally unfair on everyone!
  • Check your councils website to see the criteria nad access for schools! It can be a bit different everywhere!
  • Thank you all! Seems strange to be thinking about schools when he's only just 2 but know that it's not really that long and he will be heading off through the school gates!

We are looking at putting him into the nursery around the corner for a session each week to start with and increase it as time goes on, they will take him from 2yr 3mth so start around March.

Wil get on the la website and see what it says