Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hows the feeding going?

Replies

• Options
    Feeling a bit better this morning, he went 6 hrs again last night, with the help of a further 3oz bottle at midnight.

We have had a couple of poo explosions, one which hubby heard from downstairs when we were upstairs! was concerned as so far he's been almost as regular as clockwork for making deposits in the nappy bank!

hv sort of told me off for giving him a bottle but as other posts say it's better he's satisfied & happy than hungry and screaming!

Thank you all, don't know quite what i'd do without the support on here
    x
  • Options
    Feeling a bit better this morning, he went 6 hrs again last night, with the help of a further 3oz bottle at midnight.

We have had a couple of poo explosions, one which hubby heard from downstairs when we were upstairs! was concerned as so far he's been almost as regular as clockwork for making deposits in the nappy bank!

hv sort of told me off for giving him a bottle but as other posts say it's better he's satisfied & happy than hungry and screaming!

Thank you all, don't know quite what i'd do without the support on here
    x
  • Options
    Rachel - we have the yellow vibrating chair from mothercare - it was ??26.99. Seems ok but I finally got round to putting the battery in this morning to find that I'd bought the wrong one so can't comment on the vibrating function yet!!! Its a nice chair though and Cole seems comfy in it!

Poor you Obi..sounds like you are having a rough time. Its so hard to tell whats normal isn't it.. Cole has fed from both breasts this morning and had a 4oz bottle..this is after a 4oz bottle at around 3.30am too.. I can't tell whether he's hungry or greedy, and I really don't know how much he had from me.. 6 hours though..you are lucky! Cole seems to be going back to 4 hours..guess the 5 hours was a fluke!! As for hte hv telling you off... what does she think you should do...leave him to starve?!!! I'm so glad my hv didn't try telling me off cause I think we'd have fallen out cause I'd have told her to bugger off!

Cole poos loads.. several times a day...now I'm worried that this isn't normal with what you guys are saying.

Is there anything we don't get paranoid about? I actually managed to get cole to sleep in his basket upstairs earlier and I have the baby monitor on and I'm paranoid it won't pick up if he crys.. think I'll have to sneak upstairs and check on him and maybe try a nd put his pic up as an avatar while I'm there - can't do it on the laptop cause it doesn't want to talk to my network and the pics are on the pc! Stupid laptop!
  • Options
    Gracie poos quite a bit but didn't poo for a day and half after her first bottle - bit bunged up! Back to normal now, about 4 a day. Lovely but not half as lovely as her 2 year old brother's!
    Oh the things we talk about...!!!
  • Options
    Hi.... if you call feeding every hour - day and night (unless I'm out and driving) and pooing and weeing all over me twice a day when I change his nappya routine, then Bryn is in a routine!!! lol

I'm trying to feed less often but I'm so tired I give in very easily - hey ho - neither of my other 2 children slept through the night until they were 2 1/2years old (and the eldest was put in a routine during the day/evening) so I'm not holding out much hope of Bryn being any different! image
  • Options
    Only twice a day emma! I've been peed on 4 times today and hubby once!
  • Options
    lol Kia - I bet you're getting quicker at putting the next nappy on though!
  • Options
    I still cannot Violet out of this habit of waking up at 3.30ish every morning! Last night she had a boob and bottle at 8, then more boob and bottle at about 12 ish - in total had 8.5 oz of formula and breast milk...so she couldn't be hungry...but ended up giving her a bookb at 3.30, then got her settled by 4...then she puked, but it went up her nose, then she snotted a massive bogie, then she cried really loudly as it was stuck on her face blah blah blah and I ended up cuddling her to sleep in bed next to me...

I know I need to try leaving her when she stirs to see if she will settle herself back down, but of course as soon as she whimpers I grab her so hubby doesn't wake up...very, very vicious circle...so have told hubby he will just have to put up with her crying tonight to see if it works!

I have been very lucky with Violet and nappies - 1 wee on our bed and the poos, whilst can go from tummy down to knees aren't that bad really!!! We both laugh about it! Hubby still hasn't even changed a wee nappy...mind you he hasn't seen her in the bath either...wish he would as he is missing her when she is having fun...men eh!
  • Options
    Well last night was the best yet! Hubby was gonna give Gracie a bottle at half 6 but was on the loo (men take ages!) so I bf her and when she next woke we'd just sat down with tea so I bf her again at 8pm. She still hadn't had a bottle so when still hungry at 9.10pm, hubby gave her a bottle and I went to bed! (Been feeling v dizzy!)
    At her usual time of 2am, she stirred, I went to loo and found her fast asleep again....the next thing I know it's 5.30 (usual time for 2nd feed!) and she'd gone 8 hours!!!
    Gonna keep giving last feed as bottle in hope she carries on with this! My 1st son was 15 week by the time he slept from 11 til 6.30 and he used to be up every hour n half for ages! There's hope for the guzzlebum babies!
    To top it all, both boys stayed in their beds too, despite being 'scared' and poorly!image
  • Options
    Glad your night was good - well done Gracie!

Unfortunately Violet Grace and Mummy had a crap night - but that is down to me officially being the worse mummy in the world!

She stirred at 2.50am, knew she wasn't hungry as she had a dream feed of boob and bottle at 11pm and she was only whinging not crying...so then started with the settle her back, but dont pick her up...2 hours later of her dropping off for 15 mins then back whinging I couldn't stand it any longer so picked her up...then it hit me SHE HAD POOED..and I hadn't even thought to pull back covers and have a sniff as I was trying not to pick her up or disturb her!!!! Poor little love was whinging because of a dirty bum, and me with 3 kids didn't even think to check.

Bless her as soon as I laid her on the bed to change her she gave me the most gorgeous smile to break my heart and started cooing..after that I couldn't face putting trying to put her in her crib so she then slept in between us.

Am expecting tonight to be interesting as she had her first jabs this morning - the first time she has had real tears come out of her eyes...very distressing for me!

• Options
    Oh cally, that made me laugh!! I sat the other day and went through the reasons why he still might be crying and it took me ages to figure the bum might be the cause!!

Well Philip finally produced us a poo yesterday afternoon, on the lap of one of my friends children, but considering he hadn't done one for two days i thought poo explosion, but no he did it so quietly no one heard it & it wasn't till the lads mum handed him back to me that any of us realised!! Fortunately the nappy held it in, would have been mortified if ithad leaked all over his school uniform!!!

Did the same last night with bottle as we did the night before and once again he slept from 12 till 6 so i don't care what the hv says he is having a formula bottle last thing at night and a smaller one earlier if he is constantly feeding.

Philip received his first post addressed to him this morning in a brown envelope, hubby thought it was a bill!! It was his NHS card so guess this means along with being registered he is official now!

Hope Violet is ok after her jabs.
  • Options
    lol its so funny ready all your stories! Really hope my lo starts sleeping through soon but he is only 2 weeks so think I have a while yet. He started off only feeding every 4 hours at night but now he is down to every 3 hours so not going in the right direction! Think I will start trying to get him into more of a routine in a week or so, at the moment he sleeps for big parts of the day and only really wakes for food or a change of nappy or to sit and gaze at the lights! He has a sore bum at the moment though which makes nappy changing a tearful experience. Really hoping the sudocrem does its stuff soon.

Do you lot just let your los sleep during the day when they want to or do you wake them after so long?

L xx
  • Options
    Emma - its not so much the changing him quickly...its the poo caked on his bum that takes the time (and I do change him asap ..not leave him!) .and thats when he usually gets me!

Well done Gracie..thats an impressive sleep!!!

Hubby gave Cole a bottle around 8.l30 last night, he went in his basket at around 9.15-9.30 and he slept till 4am. We didn't cause we wake up at every little grizzle but still... maybe we'll learn to sleep through the funny noises!!

Liz- Cole was a nightmare sleeping at night at 2 weeks.... I do wake him if he's been asleep too long in the daytime..or at least I try to!! Sudocrem is great.. and we try and use cotton wool and water rather than wipes as much as poss for cleaning Cole'/s bum. Metonium is apparently also good for bad nappy rash - I have a tube but haven't used it yet.. the sudocrem is doing its job
  • Options
    I have never woken Violet during the day, except for feeds when she was very little...though actually the other day she slept for 2.5 hours in her car seat and I did wake her! I haven't found that it makes any difference to her whether she sleeps loads during the day or not - the only time she slept through was after a visit to the dreaded mil and she slept the 2 hours journey there and back and then surprised us with a full nights sleep.
  • Options
    I woke Gracie today as she fed at 2pm and it was coming up to 5.45pm and I wanted to feed her and bath her at the same time as the boys (in baby bath tho, they'd prob drown her!). Don't normally need to wake her tho.
    Bet she's a wee tinker tonight as hubby out playing snooker (no, he's not an OAP, just a boring fart!) and she knows I'm a soft touch!
    Cally - your story made me chuckle! It's always the simplest things we forget to check on!
  • Options
    Well, as expected, little Gracie didn't do 8hr last night! Woke at the usual 2am and 5.30am (she did a loud explosion of a poo, otherwise she may have lasted til 7!).
    My youngest boy then woke me up at 8.10am - eek! - we leave the house at half past 8! Hubby was told off, lie ins don't work during the week! Got me n lo dressed, bf her and off. Needless to say hubby, school boy and toddler were all late! I'm just having a brew now...
    Mil due soon with a case full of clothes from her friend's grandkid...will let you know what they're like!!
  • Options
    Clothes are mainly lovely! Lots of pretty dresses in lots of colours...just what I've been waiting for! Gonna get her in them before she has an opinion...with 2 big bros she's bound to be a tomboy!
  • Options
    well i've definately done the right thing adding bottles... cole has put on 1lb since last thursday image night sleeping is better too.

i think my milk is drying up some though but i'm trying to keep bf-ing too - i'm enjoying it more now i don't feel under pressure to keep trying to feed and my nipples have hada break and dont hurt
  • Options
    Ella was really unsettled yesterday and hardly slept at all during the day, however she made up for it by sleeping for 7 hours solid during the night! Babies are weird - I can't figure them out. I tend to wake her if she hasn't fed for around 3 and a half hours as i'd rather stock her up during the day, hoping this might make her sleep longer at night, but as i've said before, babies and logic aren't natural bedfellows!!
  • Options
    Always nice to be given a load of clothes isn't it! I have a friend out here who had her baby the same time of year as me but a year ago so she has been passing loads of stuff to me which is fab as it has saved me a fortune!!
    Got sent loads of clothes as presents for him but they are nearly all 3-6 months and at the moment the newborn stuff is only just starting to not look big on him!
    Don't think I would have got them to school until lunchtime even if I had been up since 7am so you are doing well in my book regardless of the lie in!!

Think I will leave Brendan to sleep when he wants to during the day for now as he will probably only be grumpy if i wake him! He seems to be asking for more boob juice the past few days turning his head for it rather than just making sucking noises for a bottle! He still has a bottle about half an hour after feeding from me but is only having around 2fl oz rather than the 3-4fl oz he was having before so he must be getting something from me! Would be great if I could build up my milk supply so that when we fly back to the UK I don't have to worry about trying to take formula on the flight.