Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Help! So afraid of SIDS can put Holly inher own room!

I just wondered if anyone had one of those sensor mats they could recomend, or any advice. Im so so so scared that Holly will die of Cot death. I think its because i had 2 miscarriages before holly that im over protective. I havent let anyone else look after her yet either. I just cant. And she is still in with hubby and I, in her travel cot now as moses got far too small. Shes so loud and makes moaning noises from about 1am until i feed her at about 3am then they get even louder after that until 6am when she insists on getting up!
She isnt crying but the moaning if as loud as an adult shouting and hubby is mentioning most mornings that we need to think about moving her to her own room. We have a video monitor, but im so frightened i dont know what to do. Can anyone offer advice?
Thanks xxx

Replies

• Sorry its been a long day. Post should say CANT put holly in her own room!
  • Oh dear poor you.

I found that as Cole was growing out of his basket he was getting more noisy in the night. I was scared about putting him in his own room but we ended up with no choice because he had totally run out of room in the basket and was unhappy.

We have a sleeping bag for Cole rather than blankets - do you have a sleeping bag for Holly?

I think the sensor mats I've heard people mention are called angelcare. Have you tried asking on the baby forum as there have been a couple of threads about sensor monitors. I think the only problem with them is when lo gets more active they can go off as the lo moves off the mat.

I find that once we've put Cole to bed he doesn't move very much at all so isn't really in any danger, but he seems to enjoy the extra space as he's always sprawled out. I'm sure that will change as he gets older but as he gets older the risk gets less.

We always check on Cole before we go to bed, and when I get up in the night I always listen at his door (we shut the door to keep the cat out) and if I can't hear him snoring I go in and check. I have to say that now he's been in his own room a couple of weeks I'm getting a bit less paranoid and not checking on him as much.

I think that hard as it is you just have to go for it and put her in her own room so that she and you can get some sleep - and if you need the extra reassurance then get a sensor mat for peace of mind. I know it is easier said than done because I put off moving Cole for as long as i could.. and I understand the overprotectiveness too - I have had a mc before Cole, and I haven't let anyone have him apart from a friend who walked round town with him while I went to a doc appointment.

Its kind of nice actually to have our room back - I can put the light on to get ready for bed and we've been watching dvds in bed again!

Good luck deciding what to do

• hi sarah

im exactly the same

i bought the monitor with sensor and ryan goes in his cot now. he still wakes for feeds but generally sleeps better than in his moses basket as he is flat on his back with lots of room to stretch his arms image

i have had mc before and am so scared of losing my boy, i think this has affected his sleep cos i let him sleep on me alot as i just want to be with him and have him near me all the time.

its hard but im getting there and u will too, the mat and monitor r my saviour atm

xx
  • Hi, I've been totally the same too although like Kia we had to move Bren into his own room as he was too big for his moses basket and his cot won't fit in our room. He is a really really quiet breather so I can't hear him on the monitor so I pop into his room really often before I go to bed to check on him, and often wake up in the night and go and see if he is ok. Totally paranoid that something bad may happen to him, the love you feel for them is so overwhelming I just can't imagine what I would do if I lost him.
    I too have been looking at the monitors with the sensor mats, there is an Angelcare one and a Tommee Tippee one and both seem to have reasonable reviews.
    You can't buy them over here though so I have to wait until my Mum comes out at the end of May to bring it with her. xx
  • Hi, I have the Tommee Tippee Ultimate Monitor (which is 20% off on their website I saw yesterday) and put Neve in her own room for the first time last night. She slept fine and when I woke up all I had to do was look for the little green light flashing to see she was OK.

I love my sensor mat and definately think it helps me to relax a bit more, I also use sleeping bags instead of sheet so I know that her temperature is constant and she can't get under her sheets - one less thing to worry about!!!

xxx
  • I am struggling to put Violet in her own room - my excuse is I need to decorate it again! She is in her cot and to be honest Hubby hasn't even moved the crib out of our room either - he just moved my wardrobe out!!!!

I will have to get it sorted before this one arrives though as the new baby will disturb Violet I am sure! Also I cannot believe that they have now moved my due date to xmas eve!!! It will be a very mad Christmas for Violet!

• hi,
    we bought a respisense breathing monitor after reading about it on here. Gracie has reflux and would often choke on her sick when tiny that i wouldn't put her into her room until i knew she had a monitor of some sort. I'm glad we went for that as opposed to a mat as she's now allover the place in her cot that she'd be off the mat scaring me silly most nights! This fits into her nappy so goes with her!
    Had i seen it when i had my boys i would've got one for them too. 75 quid but worth the reassurance and sleep!
  • I just looked at the website and they look really good! Will definitely get one especially as it will be used on another one so well worth the ??.
  • Just to reassure you - Finlay went in his own room after 3 weeks because he was soooo noisy i was awake all night. We have the tomee tipee sensor monitor which you put under matress and it picks up the slightest movement or noise, i have my monitor turned down next to bed but alarm would wake me, also if i worry at all you can see the green light flashing to show that there ok! also fin is now in a sleeping bag which is safer as can't get uner covers, also have an egg - growbag room temp which glows different colours so you can just glance and if its yellow its perfect temp red too hot so on! better to have the room tad bit cold than hot as it won't harm them they'll just cry to be covered more if too hot though thats not as good! Fin sleeps on front due to reflux been sleeping like that since 6 weeks - i was am still am worried but he is sooooo strong and wriggles all night!
    Just a tip if you do get sensor monitor - if you have a spring matress it will interfer - ours activated and we then brought a foam matress and all fine, also if you have slats at the base of cot get hubby to cut a large piece of ply wood to put down then put mat on top of that, this helps prevent it activating through fault!
    please try not to worry - the main thing is over heating so room should be between 16 and 19 degrees which is actually quite cold!
    my montior was only ??49 so not that expensive considering peace of mind!

xx
  • Think I may opt for the respisense, its actually about the same price as the sensor mats from what I have found but sounds like you are less likely to get false alarms from it. Bren is really wriggly so I think he would move off a mat quiet often. Plus as Carolyn says I can use it for the next one and get my moneys worth!
    Looking at their website you can also rent them for ??3 a week, not a bad idea to try them out and see if they are worth it for you (http://www.respisense.co.uk/stockists/stockists.html)
    x
  • Thanks guys. I bought a tommee tippee all singing all dancing sensor monitor with temp control ect ect and it was delivered this morning. Have had a little play with it and think Holly is going in her big girls room tonight. Im still very very frightened, ofcourse am now paranoid that they wont work ect ect. But i have to do this sometime. AND holly is now waking for 2 night feeds, 1am and 5am. Im not impressed! She has never taken a dream feed and ive tried dummy ect to get around this. So im hoping for some sleep this evening! I gave holly some baby rice yesturday afternoon which went down well. And i thought she may sleep more but nope!
    So... mummy has to be a very brave girl! x
  • How did Holly's first night in her own room go Sarah??

I must admit, I'm completely paranoid. Amy has been sleeping in her own room for about a month now and I still check on her every half an hour till I go to bed. She's a really quiet breather so I can't hear her on the monitor. I'm sure I'll be like this forever!
  • Hope you got on ok with Holly's first night in her room.

I still check on Cole before I go to bed and when I wake in the night. I wouldn't be so bad if I could leave his door open but I don't want the cat getting in there. Katie is right - I think we do have a 6th sense.. I woke up so much at the slightest sound Cole made.. not good for me!