Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby massage

Hi
Took Jack to his first massage class this morning and he loved it!
I was a bit nervous about going but once we were there it was fab. Jack fell asleep straight after he was so relaxed. I would deffo recommend it ladies its really lovely xxx

Replies

• Henry's been going for 6 weeks and I'm so glad I took him as he loves it too and it's a really nice bonding experience - especially as you can show Daddy how to do it!!!Henry doesn't like his arms being done though!! His fave part is his legs, he gets excited when he sees the oil coming!!!
  • Gracie loves it too! She loves looking at all the other babies and when we sing at the beginning and end. I like the heated floor and meeting other mums! I met a girl i went to school with (we left in 93) so nice to catch up.
    Many funny moments to be had as lots of widdles from the naked los! One boy peed and it shot down his mum's top! Great shot!
    Def recommend it too x
  • There is a baby massage class starting soon at the baby clinic - its on hubbys day off so we'll probably go. Only downside is it starts at 10.30 or so which will be a pain to get out for... I won't get my lie in!!

• Lie in?? What's one of those?!! I'd kill for a lie in on a saturday morning, not long, just till 8am would do!!

Philip loves baby massage too but sadly this week was our last one as the instructor is finishing, to have a baby!! There is someone else taking over but instead of monday morning it's going to be a friday afternoon which we can't do, but at least we've done the whole body and been given some really good instruction leaflets. Philip's favourite parts are his legs and face, one wakes him up, the other sends him to sleep!!
  • My hubby usually lets me lie in on Thursdays and Sundays.. he's been letting me lie in most of this week while he's been off but then he's been going back to bed cause he's not been well. I'm lucky I know..

What kind of oil do you lot use for massage? I'm reluctant to use anything like johnsons as Cole still has bad dry skin - I wonder if we could get away with using the aqueous cream he has for his skin rather than oil cause that would be doing him good too.
  • Hi Kia
    I use sunflower oil or olive oil. Sometimes at night i use the Johnsons bedtime lotion which is calming and helps him to sleep. xx
  • Baby massage sounds great, Im still waiting for the hv to get back to me with when its on as you have to sign up to a class and I have been unable to find one elsewhere! Think I'll be waiting forever with my hv. I did buy a baby massage book but it isn't that great I might have a look into getting another one.
  • The only ones I can find in my area are private ones rather than a class and are quite expensive the HV dont organise them here but they do in other areas shame as its something I would love to do:\(
  • The oil they use at baby massage is grape seed oil, which you can get at supermarkets. Then you can add essential oils but you must make sure they have the latin name on the bottle as well as the english name and we use either tangerine, lavender, roman chamomile or sandlewood. I just buy the base oil for home but the smelly ones are good for different things ie teething, tummy upsets etc. One drop to 20ml if I listened correctly but do patch test 1st.
    Hey jillycat, come to me, I sound like a right baby massage swot!!!
    Oils to avoid are nut based ones for obv reasons!
  • i was told to use almond or olive or virgin oil and put loads on hands, the messier the better. they tell us here all the time not to use johnsons as it burns the skin when u rub it in or i think it might just be baby oil that 'burns' if it is rubbed in when massaging. i think its got more in it than the other basic oils.
    off subject a lil but has anyone ever used a johnsons wipe on their face? i got a bloody rash this morning cos used one last night out of convenience....!!
  • Have you got sensitive skin Holly? Im lucky and can put pretty much anything on mine and it doesn't bother me. I have stoped using johnston wipes on Holly though and started buying pampers sensitive plus they are on offer 6 for a fiver in tesco, I think they are a little bit more gentle on babys delicate skin,