Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

discipline

Ive been meaning to put this to you all for a while. Obviously all the dec babies are into everything at this age but i was wondering how much you all tell your little ones 'no' or how you discipline them. Obviously i dont mean punishments lol, but im not sure how much i should be ignoring negative behaviour at this age, or if i should be saying no or what! Also, does it matter if they totally ignore you. Just some advice/opinions really, lol. Thanks x

Replies

• I have been saying 'NO' in a firm voice since LO was 6 months old and he does know what it means. If he's in a difiant mood he will do it anyway but most of the time he stops.. If he does carry on I remove the item or him from the situation. If he tries to have a paddy we turn our backs and ignore him and pick him up when he stops.. He went through a particulary bad stage at 11 months and we did this and within a week we had reduced the behaviour I'd say by at least 80%.

he even sometimes goes to touch something and then gives this funny little shake with his arms as if he can hear us in his head saying no!

• I've been wondering about the same thing. We've been saying no to Ollie for a while and he understands, but is ignoring us more and more now. He even looks me in the eye while he carries on doing whatever it is - cheeky monkey! At what stage does it stop being cheeky and start being naughty? Is it a case of just persevering with saying no? It's not like you can do anything else really is it, they are too young to understand any sort of punishment.
    He did start having tantrums a while back, but we just either ignored it or layed him on the floor to kick and scream and stepped away for a moment. It seems to have done the trick as we don't get them often now.
  • NJ this is the trouble we are having. I have done what El Mac has done up until now and he understands and would listen. But recently he just carries on doing it, looking at me!
  • Ooh well I don't know if your little ones are far more advanced than zachariah but I don't think he'd understand discipline at all ATM ! I say no if he's pulling at something he shouldn't but I don't think he understands at all. I think there's not really much you can do at this age but I guess if they look like they're understanding the telling off then go with it! But I think it's still just baby stuff until they're about 2 and then they're testing boundaries aren't they?
  • Oh dear...wait till their even older! I'd say gracie is the most obedient of my 3 atm lol. At least they can't answer back!
    I say no to Gracie and when I have to, move her away saying no.
    I think they do things in phases. She had a thing for playing with the fireplace (not used) for about a week and no matter what I did, she'd be back there within seconds of being moved away. I persisted and she hasn't played with it for a good week now.
    A lot of it is pushing boundaries as you say waiting4baby and eventually they get it...but then comes the 'they should know better' stage, when we know they're old enough to not do what they're doing, but they do it anyway! Oh, there's something for you to look forward to!
  • Bren is exactly the same, he was good for a bit and understood when we said 'No!' and he would stop. Now sometimes he stops and other times he pretends he can't hear us!! He is into everything he shouldn't be at the moment, including our log burner which is used all the time and is bloomin hot!! I think it is partly because hubby lets him stand next to him when he lights the fire in the morning and Bren often helps Daddy blow to get the flames going lol!! Very cute but not when he gets so close and it is a roaring fire inside!! He also gets bits of anything he can find off the floor and puts them in his mouth, I'm constantly hoovering and yet he always finds something!
    Pulling CDs out of the rack is another favourite, and his current attempt is to climb through the gap in the tv stand where thd DVD player is to get to the wires at the back - arrrghhh!!!!
    I have been telling him No twice and trying to say why as well (so for the fire I would say No it is hot!) if he ignores me I go and move him away, if he goes back I say no again and repeat, if he continues I pick him up and put him in his cot in his room for 5 mins.
    Not sure it is doing any good but my main concern is when he ignores me and what he is doing is actually dangerous! We really need to get a TV stand that has doors on it and a big rethink of the furniture we have but we just don't have the money to do it all just yet. As soon as I start getting this enhanced baby money we can start getting bits and pieces and hopefully have the place nice and safe asap!!!

As for answering back Ali at his cheekiest Bren shouts 'yeah' back when I say No!!!! Think I am going to be in real touble when he gets a bit bigger and has a little brother to gang up on me with!!! x
  • I'm quite relieved to hear you say that Ali - i wasn't going to post on this because whatever i did with my eldest when he was this age was obviously wrong because he is a nightmare!! he used to be quite good but he's 3 and a half now and he completely ignores everything he's told! i think noah's going to be even worse!! he does the whole deliberately doing what he's not supposed to do and looking you in the eye while he's dong it and he thinks its hilarious!! we just say no and shake our heads or waggle our finger adn sometimes he shakes his head himself cos he knows he's not supposed to be doing it!!
    best thing is to just say no gently and lead them away to something else (my childminder told me that and she's great with kids and has been doing it for over 20 years!)
    still infuriating when they laugh in your face and just go back to doing whatever it was they were doing!!
  • well fin is certainly a little monkey - im dreading him getting older and cheekier! he can go thru phases and usually when tired or no attention he does something he's not supposed to and he knows cause he looks at me and shakes his head but then does it!

i then would tell him no but then he started having massive paddies - like kicking his legs arching back etc.... naughty little boy!

so now i mostly say no in stern voice and say it's hot or owch or dangerous then if he does it again i say no and just move him away or remove the thing he's messing with! basically distract him with something else!

so if he's smacking telly after a couple of no's i will just get his hand and walk him to his books and then he'll sit and play!

LIZB - the fire thing is exactly whaty hubby does every time it's lit he lets fin sit with him right in front and screw up the paper and also gives him bits of wood - i do the moaning bit saying stop doing that he is 1 and knows how to light a fire soooo not good!

he's mega good when its lit though as we got one of those fire surrounds that goes all the way round and so he cant get too it and if he does stand at it it's too hot so he just walks away!!!!

my friend started the naughty step at 18 months and it's working!

• Glad i'm not the only one wondering about this! Philip understands no as he stops, looks at me, smiles and does it again!! Usually the washing machine, dishwaher or tumble dryer trick, last week i got fed up with him laughing and carrying on so i picked him up, carried him into the living room, sat him down and told him no, he cried!!!! BUT he did leave the stuff alone, until the next day! I find that an "are" sound in a stern voice works quite well but doesn't always stop him either! We have tried blocking things off, like a cupboard in nanny's dining room which he keeps trying to get into, so today we put a chair in front of it to stop him opening it, he moved the chair!

If anyone finds the key to this please share!! x

• Hey girls, discipline is also up and down here, Paige will somethimes back down with a stern no, but wll also sneak up on me in the kitchen and bite me on the ankle just for fun - lol.

Shell