Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Jack stopped sleeping through!!!!!

Hi everyone
Jack was really good and slept through from 7.30-8.30pm till about 5-6am from about 7 weeks old.
This past week though hes been waking at 2-3am for a feed then waking at 5am still!! He is drinking 6oz when he gets up through night so i no hes hungry. Ive tried upping his intake thru day to 7oz instead of 6 but he was still getting up.
Any ideas girls?

Replies

• Could be he's teething? Gracie's stirred lots over past few nts as her teeth are bugging her and she`wants her fists in her mouth when sleeping which wakes her. Not had to feed her yet tho thru nt.....when she does start wanting food i'd seriously consider weaning her.
    How old's Jack? Think he's a similar age to Gracie (14wk tom) but i forget!
    My eldest son was 15 wk when weaned as he was on 9oz bottles and still not sleeping thru! He started sleeping thru when we weaned him.
    Does he take the extra ounce? If so, it could be hunger, if not...???
    Sorry not much help! Hope he sleeps better tonight!
  • Thanks Ali
    Jack is 13 weeks tomorrow and you could be right when i go in his room ge has got his fists in his mouth. I bought some of those gummies but he wasnt sure what to do with them. Went to Tesco and bought some of those beads today and some teething gel so may help.
    What do you do when Gracie stirs in night? Or does she go back off?
  • I agree with Ali that it sounds like teething, Holly was the exact same and waking up hungry. I have started to wean her and she takes about 2 teaspoons of baby rice twice a day which is helping but she still wakes up through the night hungry. Maybe Jack is having a growth spirt? I hope he settles back into his routine soon for you.
    Amy xxx
  • Hunibuni - when she stirs she usually settles back down with a dummy but not since her jabs on friday! After going in 3-4 times I just took her into our bed between us so we could hold a hand each - that stops her fretting and she sleeps on till morning. Anything for a good nights sleep!
    Gracie also doesn't know what to do with the gummies so i bought a teething blanket yesterday which i'll give her once it's dry.
    Hope Jack likes his beads!
  • Thanks both of you
    He had been grouchy and crying all moring and chewing on his hands so i gave him some calpol which settled him. He then slept for 3 hours had a feed and bath now in bed so hope he sleeps better.
    Ali he likes to hold the beads but hit himself in the head with them!!!
  • Bryn must have wanted to join in - he woke up at 3 this morning and was awake again at 6..... even gave him a top up bottle before he went to bed because I thought my milk might not have been wonderful after not eating for 2 days but that didn't help.... Hopefully they will all settle back again soon x
  • Cole woke at 3am too...no fair!! Went back to sleep eventually after almost chewing my boobs off!! And he woke again at 6.30. My poor hubby...he got up with Cole and took him downstairs despite being ill as I was really groggy. He's upstairs sleeping now poor guy... some week off work being ill!!

Hope it was just a one off....

• I think our babies have a telepathic link...and spread the word to be lil beggars!
    :lol:
    Gracie was in our bed from 12.30 and woke us up at 5.45 doing a huge nappy-full!
  • Well Jack was a good boy last nite. After an awful grumpy day he had a feed and bath and went to bed at 830 and didnt wake till 6am! He was grizzling in his sleep but when i checked on him his eyes were closed so i put his winnie musical thing on and that seemed to settle him.
    He seems ok today a bit grumpy but not as bad as yesterday! xx
  • just as long as she's not got the major projectile vomit to accompany the sound!
    Gracie also better - couple o plug stops then i went into her at 6am to her giggling back at me! Brought her back to our bed where she slept til we had to get up.
    Good babies - keep it up!
  • Bryn's got a cold again so think that might have something to do with him getting up - he slept until 4:45ish this morning but he went back to sleep in my arms until 6.... Off out to buy some refils for the karvol plug-in thingy I bought last time he had a cold to see if that will help - now I not only have dribble marks on my shoulder but snotty marks too....Plus Fee also has a cold and thinks its great fun to come and give me a hug and rub her nose on me before I get to her with a tissue.... lovely!!! To top it off Tristan is in his room off school feeling sorry for himself with the stomach bug we've all had -so its a really healthy happy home here!! (I suppose I should be thankful hes too old to throw up on me - famous last words!! lol)
    Hope all the other babies are happy and healthy and very sleepy at night!
    Em x
  • Oh poor you Em. Sounds like youve got your hand full today hun. Lets hope they all feel better soon and you can have a good nights rest xx
  • Oh what a week Em! Sick n snot, loverrrrly! Hope you're all better soon x
  • Oh dear poor you Em. Hope you are all better soon!

Cole slept till 5.30am this morning! Not good!! We have just rearranged his bottles and hopefully he'll sleep longer! We tried upping him to 7oz cause he was often finishing 6oz, but then he seemed to end up having only 4 bottles instead of 5, so today he's had 5 x 6oz bottles - only one of which went half finished, and he's had most of his bedtime bottle, as well as bf before his bath so heres hoping for 6.30 tomorrow!
  • 11lb at birth - he is a big boy! What does he weigh now??
    The paediatrician said yesterday that as far as stomachs are concerned los can hold about approx 120-130ml per kg of body weight, so if your lo weighs 6kg, they should be on 6x120ml =720ml of milk a day in how ever many bottles they have, if that makes sense? Gracie weighs 6.33kg, so should be on 5x5.5oz bottles a day - she's actually on 7oz - so that may be why she's being sick so much! I'd never heard of that ratio b4 and it's only a guide but interesting to see how greedy our los are!
    My ds1 was very greedy and on 9oz bottles too so we weaned him at 15wks.
  • 11lbs - ouch!
    Ali - I've never heard of that ratio either - you learn something new an all that.

Thanks all for msgs.... Fee seems to be a bit better, Tristan is better but feeling sorry for himself as only teenage boys (or grown men come to that) can, Bryn has still got a runny nose and is now coughing a bit.... but on the whole I think the house is a slightly healthier one today! Bryn even slept a bit better last night - yeah!!
    Em x
  • Wow what a bruiser he is!

HV said at the post natal group a couple of weeks ago that it was 2.5oz to every pound which put my mind to rest a bit as i thought i was over feeding Philip but he was only haveing .5oz too much which is probably the dregs left in the bottom of his bottles over the day anyway! We have just put him onto the hungry baby milk as he is wanting feeding every 3hrs, even on 8oz bottles so thought i'd try that before putting in an extra bottle.
  • By that calculation Gracie's bang on her total then -if my maths is correct! She's just 14lb now! Bet hvs. mws, docs and paeds all have different ratios just to contradict each other! Typical, helpful advice as usual!
  • Wow..what a big baby! Owch!

Cole was 14lb 11 on Monday and I hope he's getting 7oz out of me bf-ing him cause thats what he's short according to Obi's hv! He has 5 6oz bottles a day now - but he doesn't always finish them plus bf in the morning and a couple of random times in the day.

He actually slept in to 7am this morning which is the best its been for a while - think switching him to 7oz bottles definately wasn't working cause he was only getting through 4 of them a day.

I'm guessing we'll have an early start tomorrow though cause my poor boy had his injections today and hasn't fed well at all

I'm tempted to ask the hv next time I go to get Cole weighed how much he should be having...just to see if she says anything useful!! My regular hv seems to have vanished and the replacement one is vague and I think she thinks we are dumb!!