Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Can anyone tell me how much childcare ACTUALLY costs...

Im currently working one night a week. However ive seen a great job which is 24 hours per week, for daytime hours! There is an on site nursery which ive looked at online and its ??4.91 per hour. Now this is almost half my hourly rate so would hardly make it worth going back to day work for. However, i am aware that i may get working tax credits (im currently only getting child tax credits as only work 9.5hours per week). Can anyone tell me how much working tax credits is?
Also, my husband and i could buy child care vouchers i believe which we would save tax on? So how much would that work out?
Im so sorry, but i cant afford to do it and see! And I cant understand that blood government site! Im not normally this thick!
Thanks for your help ladies xxx

Replies

• ooo how annoying just posted and it lost it!

basically i pay ??25 a day childminder 8-5.30 - 4.91 seems a lot although you would be close by!
    we dont get working tax credits and only ??32 child tax credits a month!

i do so the voucher scheme and that saves about ??700 a year in taxes! you and hubby could claim these!

hope that helps xx
  • Know what you mean about gov sites!
    I pay atm ??2.75/hr for Gracie's childminder, and Alfie (3.5 yr old) is ??2.96/hr at a preschool nursery. The nursery is opening a baby unit and charging ??4/hr till they are two yr old, then it goes down to ??3.25 ish. This is cheap for nurseries though. Some charge much more and I don't like them, far too big and impersonal.

As for working tax/child tax credits I know nothing! I've only ever had child tax credits for either working full or part time, but now get nothing. Boo hoo. My sil says hers covers their child care fees, how lucky!

Child care vouchers are good and so easy to set up. It goes on how much you earn i think (or how many hours you work) and basically you can get up to ??243 a month taken out of your wage before they tax and national insurance it, saving you over ??1000 ish (not sure!). You'll have to find out if your employers are in a scheme (there are loads) and ring them direct. They will then do the rest, after you've given them your employment and child care details. I have an e-voucher account, so ??243 comes into that each month, and I transfer the amount owed either weekly or monthly, it's so easy!

HTH x
  • I pay ??30 a day at nursery from 7.30am- 6pm and get about ??40 a month tax credits. Jack goes 2 full days xxx