Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Talking

Hi,

Just thought I would update from a post I did a few months ago about Brens talking, the last few weeks he has suddenly started saying loads of stuff! Some english and some Norwegian, he is also copying more stuff when we say it so I am really pleased! For some reason he is saying the french word for snow?!! No idea why but he has said it loads and points to the snow, and when hubby says 'where is the snow' in french to him he points outside at it all!! We asked at his nursery and they have no idea where he has got it from either! The only thing I can think of is maybe it is on one of the baby einsein dvds as they say things in three languages on there.

He tells us stories which usually involve the phrase 'and then you go ...' with lots of animated hand movements! At his party he had lots of fun popping balloons and then shouting 'POP!' as each one burst!!

Such a fab age isn't it!! image

Replies

• Well done Bren!!

Bryn is waaaaay behind the others and doesn't say anything much - he says 'fank you' when you give him something and 'byeeeee'. He can count to 8 but not clearly (he makes the right noises but not necessarily the right sounds if you see what I mean) but that's about it.

All 3 of mine have been late talkers - but once the other 2 started they didn't stop so I'm guessing Bryn will be the same. I must admit I was concerned when I heard how all of the dec toddlers were speaking but then Dave reminded me about Tristan and Ophelia so I've relaxed a bit.

I have been worried about his development in some ways because all of yours seem so much older and more advanced than him. To me he just seems so much younger. On the other hand I'm not going to stress about it - after all my other 2 have turned out ok so there's no reason to think that he wont either! lol

Sorry turned into a ramble!! x
  • Tri-lingual Bren! very impressive!
    Em, I wouldn't worry...Alfie honestly didn't start talking properly until at least 2.5yrs. The HV said as long as he understood what we were saying/asking then there was nothing to worry about. He now gets words mixed up and can't say words properly at 4yr 3month, but i'm not worried, he will eventually, prob when he starts school and does phonics etc.
    Gracie now says words which sound like the f word repeated twice! It's when she plays with a plastic reindeer ring we got on a Greggs bun so don't have a clue what she's trying to say, just that it sounds VERY rude lol.
  • Well done Bren that's great and wowee on the multiple languages image
    em- I could have written your post. Zachariah still doesn't talk aside from mama, baba and nana and I'm always thinking he sounds much younger in his way, development and behaviour. I guess they'll all catch up eventually but pleased I'm not the only one thinking like this as it makes it less of a worry image we're actually trying sign language atm and he's doing really well!!!!!!!
  • Glad I'm not the only one w4b! Fee has been trying to teach bryn different words and yesterday she got him to say 'yes' and 'no' and today he said 'bubbles' when I blew some bubbles in the kitchen.... he probably wont say it again for ages though!! lol

Well done on the sign language - Fee learnt loads from Justin/mr tumble but Bryn won't have any of it - he doesn't sit still long enough to watch anyone do it! hehe xxx
  • See now zachariah has fallen behind again lol! Actually now you mention fee...,.. My brother (2yrs younger than me) didn't talk til 3 as I did all his translations and talking so maybe that's all it is with fee and bryn image
    wouldn't get zachariah to sit through tumble either but we go to tiny talk and learn about 5 signs a week which I then practise with him. I'm actually signed up for a makaton class (which is what tumble does) by the speech therapist so quite looking fwd to that (I'll go even if
    he suddenly turns into a chatterbox overnight) lol
  • That's really good that his talking is coming along and well done on all the languages. Rhys has come on lots with his talking in the last few months too.
    Ali Rhys sounds like he's saying the f word when he says fork ha ha and Ship comes out as something else too.

Liz I agree though this age is fantastic he has me in hysterics with the stuff he does or comes out with at the minute. I asked him to come and get dressed this morning and he turned round and said 1 second ha ha
  • lol Becci! Brens learnt to say 'mine!' which isn't a good one and 'No!'which he says when I ask him to come and have his nappy changed!
    My Mum taped The Gruffalo that was on tv at Christmas and sent it over for me and I put it on this aft for Bren to watch and he pointed and said 'Mouse!'.
    He also says 'broken' if he breaks something!

He also says something that sound a lot like the 'F' word, just hoping it isn't!! x
  • We have another fan of no here too, and always telling me something's a mess ha ha.
    Rhys scared me going on about a mouse the other day. He kept saying mouse to me and running into his bedroom. I followed him in and he was crouched by his bed pointing under it saying mouse so I was really worried we had a mouse (didn't help that the day before our neighbour told us she had found what looked like mouse droppings) I very gingerly peered under the bed and it was his mouse teddy that had fell under the bed ha ha.
  • Thats great Liz! Well done Bren. Especially that hes copying alot more as thats what has helped elijah, that he can copy so well. Its seems to get the words in his head more. Elijah talks really well, but i worry about him not being forceful enough, like at playgroup he will let other children take things off him and just cry rather than get it back! image I have tried pushing him back in and teaching him to tell them no, but i guess they are all different and he will do it in his own time.
    Em, elijah has always spoken well but always been behind all of the others movement wise (like sitting up, crawling, walking) so i guess we all worry in different ways xxx
  • Oakley's new phrase is 'Ohhh that's disgusting!' I think he has got it off Pegga Pig. So when you wipe his nose (or if he wipes it on your hand as you are walking along) he'll say it. I'm very lucky he does talk in phrases and full sentences my favourite is when he tries to be diplomatic and wants to soften the word 'no' instead he says 'not really Mummy' if you ask him if he's is tired/hungry/wants to tidy up etc! My other favopurite is when he goes 'aarrrrrr' and I ask Oakley what are you saying? He answers ' I a pirate Mummy. Mummy hide!'
  • Oh el that's so cute being a pirate (or carrot as Rhys calls them ha ha)
  • Ah little pirate/carrot boys!
    I've finally worked out what Gracie's saying when she says the f words...'woof woof' for a dog! We watched Top Gear earlier and she said it twice for two separate dogs, even though she can say 'woof woof' quite clearly. The funny thing was, that made me have to hide my laughter, Charlie said 'Maymay said something that sounded like 'f*** f***' OOPS!!!! Kids eh?!
  • The downside to all of Oakley's talking is he can make his demands verrrrry clear.

Eg. 'No mummy not marmite I want jam mummy Oakley want jam!'

or

'Not the news on mummy, I want Peppa pig on'