Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Incredibly soon to be thinking of names but......?

After hubby saw the scan pic he started spouting off boys names (not that we even know it is yet) but the name we've both really liked is isaac (oh pronounces iSsss-hah) and was on the zachariah list too, I don't mind keeping it on the list but am worried if we had 2 boys zachariah and Isaac , if they wanted to shorten their names they've only got 'zac' so...... What do you think? Lol

Replies

• OMG - thats so funny - i liked the name isaac but discounted it because zach and izac sound so similar!! maybe use it as a middle name if your oh is so set on it?
  • how strange... thats on our shortlist and its hubby that really likes it - i wasnt soooo sure but def a possibility!

well it is true that they would both be shortened to zach but if you bith loves names sooo what! perhaps have it a possibilty and keep looking and then if it's still fav later on then just go with it!!!

god its hard isnt it???

i brought an up to date book other day and have gone through every single name about 10 times and only found 2 boys i like and a girls name i love but hubby unsure!

• Omg I'm dreading names we struggled so much with rhys (that was the only one neither of us hated it was just ok) lol so dreading it second time round. Is it just my oh that comes up with stupid nicknames for every single name I mention drives me crazy!!!!
  • lol becki - my hubby is really difficult to please. its definately harder second time not sure why. i guess cos you pick your favourite name for the first one and also the second one has to kind of fit in with the older one if you see what i mean!
    would you pronounce it iss haah? would anyone esle ever get it right?
    we really liked the name jacob but we knew someone in the town called jacob and his brother was called zach so that would have been just too wierd!
    no 2 was impossible to name and we had not even pinned down any possibilities when he was born. he was called joshua for the first 24 hours but it didn't sit right which is a shame cos i love that name but i insisted we change it to noah. hubby was cross cos he'd told everyone already!
    i still reckon it must be harder for teachers cos they must have known a kid named all the names to be thought of!
  • Lol Julesy, you've hit the nail on the head! So many names I simply had to avoid due to far from darling kids in school!
    Isaac is Charlie's middle name (hubby named him that after Sir Isaac Newton, only told me after! weirdo!) and my friend's boy is Izak. Saying that, there's an Izak in Charlie's class who is a right pain in the butt so I'm glad ours is the traditional Isaac spelling!
    Alfie was either gonna be Archie or Harry up until he was born.
  • just aswell you had a girl last time round other wise you'd be really stuck!! do you reckon biys names are harder than girls?? we had loads of girls names that were lovely but no boys names!
  • For Charlie we had one gil's choice, Ella, had 3 to choose from for Alfie and Gracie was Gracie May from early on. So yes, much easier!
  • girls are def easier as there are soooooooo many nice ones and only a handful of nice boys that dont sound chavy or like a dogs name!!!hehehe
  • Lol julesy, well.... I don't get middle names as hubbies culture makes them the childs fathers name AND the fathers fathers name which I think is a bit mean as my family names get no input bur luckily my family are easy going with that, apparently a girl would have them as middle names too so I can see I may have sone rather heated debates on my hands eeeek!
    Iss-hah is how hubby and ils would pronounce it, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else too so may well pronounce it as isaac just so when out not so confused. Although tbh this is why I disregarded it last time.... With zachariah, hubby and ils pronounce zaka-Rrrrayer which is really annoying but at least not so confusing its not like he has 2 names! Eugh so just when you're all struggling finding boys names remember me and think how easy you have it lol !
    Girls names def easier ESP as you can have a wierd one and noone bats an eye!

[Modified by: waiting4baby on July 13, 2009 06:20 PM]

• my god w4b - all confussing!!!! i think you should be allowed to choose a different middle name if girl - do you mean the girl would have a boys middle name??? surely not?!! hehehe

hope you dont mind asking where is your hubby and family from?only ask as you say they pronounce names different?

well i'm still set on Mason for boy and Freya for girl at mo but hubby needs convincing on Freya... all may change!

• Lol star, yup a girl would have boys names in the middle, as my mum pointed out though their names sound quite girly so it wouldn't be quite such an issue for 'her' but omg if my children kept up the tradition I'm not so sure dil would be much impressed haha! They're Egyptian

..... Mason and freya are both lovely, I'd liked freya anyway as my gran is called freda and freya is like a more modern twist lol.
    I've got yasmeen or amelia for a girl ATM but like you said, we're bound to change our mind closer to the time and so far for boy we have Isaac/iss-hah, Gabriel (same pronounciation so good but not sure if people think it's to feminine?), Joseph/you-sef or 'abrahim' (I hate that-sorry- and didn't even like Joseph until this was a name put fwd by oh, I just think it's too old fashioned!)