Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Colds?

I think phoebe has a cold as her nose is snotty and full of crusty bogies. Her breathing actually woke me up the other night as she was so bloked up. It frightened the life out of me as it sounded like she couldn't breath. She isn't hot, hasn't got a temperature and is sleeping inbetween feeds so im not sure if i should be worried. Is there anything i can do to help clear her nose? :\?

Replies

• Its scary isn't it! Cole is just getting over a horrible sounding cough and cold. mw said we couldnt give him anything as he was too little, all we could do was prop up the head of his basket to keep his head elevated to help him breathe. We bought a nasal aspirator from mothercare to try and clear his nose but we couldn't get hisn ose to clear - the hv said to try tickling his nose wiht a cotton bud to make him sneeze to clear his nose out - we didn't try that though. Cole didn't have a temp but wasn't sleeping too well so I got the doc to check him out while I was there - she checked his chest was sounding ok and said to bring him back if he wasn;t better after the weekend. He's not right yet but he's definately better.

hth
  • hi

we have got the exact the same thing with our baby who is 6 weeks old, hes had a cold since birth and been to the docs 3 times who have told me each time that he is fine, chest is clear etc. anyway, its that bad i cant sleep because of the noise's he makes its really distressing and being all colded up makes him sick after a bottle, so ive propped his moses basket up slightly with a pillow and bought one of those plug in things that sends menthol around the room for children. it all seems to be helping a bit which after 6 weeks is better than nothing!!

rebecca x
  • Hi... Bryn has had a cold since he was less than a week old (his 2 year old sister had a cold when he was born and she was did as she was told and shared... of course we weren't talking about the cold but hey ho!).. we were told the same as everyone else - I am going to ask to see the hv or doc as he is wheezing alot and I'm a bit concerned as I'm asthmatic and I'm hoping its not that.... I think its just one of those things you just have to keep an eye on - my hv certainly didn't seem concerned last time I spoke to her. Sorry I'm no use at all... Hope Phoebe feels better soon. Em x
  • Think it must be the time of year! Brendan has a bunged up nose too, he was weighed today and we asked the midwife about it and she gave him this squirt of liquid up his nose! It has seemed to help clear it a bit but every now and then we get some hysterically funny piggy noises from him! We've also been propping up the moses basket at one end so his head is slightly elevated. Not sure if it is a big no no but he sleeps soundly when we do and screams if we don't!

L xx
  • Love the picture Liz!!!

Violet is the same and I have been squirting saline drops into her nose, which makes her sneeze out the most hideous bogies!!!

c.xxx
  • Going to see hv on thursday for her weekly weigh in so will mention it and hopefully she might give phoebe something to help clear it. Will try propping her head up as she does sound worse after she has been asleep in her cot. Where might i get my hands on some saline drops callyb?

loublueX
  • Thanks Cally!

LouBlue- You can get the drops at the pharmacy out here so would guess you can get them at the pharmacy in the UK too. Spoke to my midwife today and she said you can also get a thing like a small balloon that sucks the snot out! She said you can buy that at the pharmacy too so think I will be sending my oh out for one!!

L xx
  • The snot sucking things aren't that great Liz.. well the one we got didn't work too good.. we got one that you have to suck the other end (there is a filter so you don't get a m outhfull of baby snot!) and we tried and tried when Cole was really snotty and got nowhere. A damp baby cotton wool bud when we could see the snot worked a lot better.

Cole seems a lot better now - hope all the other lo's are doing better, although I know when Cole stops snuffling at night i'll be up every time I wake to make sure he's still breathing.. at least while he's snuffly I can hear his breathing!
  • Dont know if this works or not but my mum said that if our noses where all crusty and blocked she would put a little bit of pepper on a tissue, wave it in front of baby's nose and it would make us sneeze, clearing out the crusties at the same time! Doesnt cure a cold tho - soz x