Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Opinions on baby names please!

Replies

• Options
    I really like Jacob Johan Liz - it's really cute! Not long now for you anyway so at least you could wait and see what he looks like!

I think that's what we're going to do, sounds a bit silly as they're only babies but some people just look like their name if you know what I mean!

We've added another to our list - Juliette/Juliet. I love it and hubby likes it too but not sure if baby would like it as she grows!

Star, are you going to find out what you're having? At least then you can not worry about boys names if it's a girl! Although we seem to be finding loads of boys names know we know it's a girl!!

xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks Emily, think I am swaying more towards Jacob Johan too but as you say hopefully we won't have much longer to wait now and we can see what name suits him!

Juliette/ Juliet is a really nice name too, think you will have to draw up a short list and then put it to one side, that is what we have done and we keep picking it up and changing our minds about what we like lol!!

Star - we have a long list of boys names, I'll have to e-mail you it when we have our pc working as it isn't on the laptop. xx
  • Options
    thank you liz - thats if you get time your going to have your hands full very very soon!!!!

i would actually find out but hubby adamant we won't!!! i know what he means that we didnt with fin and it was lovely finding out after that long labour and telling everyone but i'm thinking fopr practicle reasons.............isn't there a way of telling by heartbeat???? x
  • Options
    Star, that's why we found out this time round as loads of our baby equipment is blue and we want to decorate the nursery before she arrives! Perhaps your hubby will cave?!

Also the heartbeat thing - my midwife last time was telling me it was a girl when it wasn't! Not sure how reliable that is!

You need to do the needle and string thing! My mum did it on me loads and everytime it said girl!

You need to hold a needle from a piece of string above your wrist dead still and it will start moving - either swinging from side to side or round in a circle. Try it as many times as it moves and it'll tell you how many you'll have too!

Hubby thinks it's a loads of hocus pocus but she did it on herself too and it tells her each time girl, boy, boy, girl and that's exactly what she had! I did it on her too as I thought she was moving it herself and it said it! It said boy, girl on mine then stayed dead still the third time (Thankfully!!!)

Try it for fun - then you can tease hubby saying you know what it is and maybe he'll want to know for sure!

xx
  • Options
    Star, Gracie's heartbeat was slightly higher than the boys' and they do say girls are higher than boys. I also did the string thing and it said boy boy girl! can't remember which way round it is tho...remind me Emily!
    Liz, my boss's name is Johaan (Jo for short) so i won't comment LOL x
  • Options
    Ooh I did the Chinese gender predictor which needs month and your age of conception, freakishly accurate for me and my family. The string I've heard of but always felt it was a bit of a mind game....... Well it's all a bit of fun, I think the heartbeat thing is if it's really fast they say it's a boy (is that the right way round?)
  • Options
    Ali it's side to side for a boy and circle for a girl!

Im a bit skeptical of it too w4b but it's fun trying to convince oh it's true!!!!

xx
  • Options
    The ring thing worked for me - did ring on hair instead of needle. Spooky image The heartbeat thing is rubbish though - cole's was dead high and he's definately a boy!!

As for boy names - my favourite was liam but couldnt use it as hubbys cousin is liam.

How is johan pronounced - is it the j sound or a y sound?
  • Options
    I just have no will power to not find out at the scan, I'm sure it must be a fantastic surprise waiting until the labour but I do love to be organised so not sure I could cope with it lol!

Kia- over here they pronounce a j as a y so it would sound like yohan.

Hubby came home the other day and said he now really likes Jacob Jonas (again pronounced Yonas) which I also like so think that is probably what it will be!! Just hoping if we do have a third we don't have another boy or we will seriously be struggling for names lol!! x
  • Options
    ooo def have to give that a go - i'll get my mum to do it!!!

Jonus i like that and one i have never thought of or seen in name book xxx
  • Options
    Liz is Jacob pronounced 'yah - oob' then? I only ask as Jacob was actually on our list but in arabic it's pronounced yah-oob and I thought it would get confusing as we live in uk image I love all the names you've picked so far
  • Options
    The Norwegians will probably pronounce Jacob as Yakuub (kind of thing lol!) but we will call him Jacob and introduce him as that.

It is really funny actually as they use middle names differently over here, and so for Brendan even though we clearly put iton the form for his birth certificate that his first name is Brendan and middle name is Markus the birth certificate arrived as though he has a double first nameof Brendan Markus as that is often what they do. We got a letter through from the nursery talking about Markus! I often get called Ann (my middle name) if I go to appointments, very strange!! x
  • Options
    My mum did a gender prediction thing on me from my hairline as it meets ur neck. Think if it's straight it's a boy and if it goes to a point it's a girl lol. We would struggle so much for names if we ever had another boy as Rhys was the only name we both cd agree that neither of us hated lol, wasn't already in use or was usably with surname lol. I LOVE the name Charlie but but with brown it was a big nono lol
  • Options
    Lol Becci, Charlie Brown's cool tho!
    At school we've had a George Harrison, Matt Dillon, Courtney Love and loads of really dodgy names!
  • Options
    Oh dear ali..thats bad for those poor kids!!

Liz thats weird about the middle name thing! How odd. Jacob is Yacub in polish too but spelled jakob I think - when my parents discovered long lost relatives in poland they all kept pronouncing jacob wrong with coles name. no idea if they managed the pronounciation of cole lol. As it happens, my grandpa's dads name was jakob so they all got excited about coles middle name but it wasn't after him.

I think jacob jonas (with a j) sounds nice but not sure about the j-y sounds going together so i was trying to say it outloud cause i keep saying jonas in my head cause i know a jonas, but now i probably just sound like a nutter lol.

I like juliette too, but that wouldn't be on my girl name list cause i have a friend called juliette. juliette emily sounds nice (imo), and so does juliette rose - going back to your middle name choices emily.

As for boy names..well i've jsut dug out the list I made when pregnant with cole - just names that randomly sounded ok on the first go through of the baby book and the girl name list is 3 times as long as the boyname. Actually its 4 times as long as most of the boy names are horrid!! What was i thinking to write them down. Other than Connor/Conor which cole nearly was - the only ones I still like are drew, dale & dylan. Wonder if I got bored after D! lol.
  • Options
    We've scrapped pretty much every name on the list and now have a new one!

Thanks for those of you bearing with me - hopefully we'll make a decision soon!

Here goes:

Bonnie
    Betsy
    Jemima
    Honey
    Lottie

I know we had Lottie before but I still really like it!

We're still planning to use Emily Rose as the middle names too!

Thanks in advance!

xx
  • Options
    Right, you know me and my obsession with initials spelling out dodgy things......! If you choose a B name, her initials will be BERP, which I know isn't the correct spelling, but does sound like burp! perhaps you could swap Emily and Rose around?? BREP instead? Kia, you think you sound like a nut ...ha ha.
    I really like Lottie still, love the name Charlotte, but my sil's called that so not able to use it. Honey's sweet and Betsy is one of those older names that sound really cute now!
    Lottie my fave tho!
    Right, i shall shut up and let the others comment ;\)
  • Options
    i would say lottie as i'm charlotte and get lottie from certain people inc hubby! but they are all cute only one i wouldnt go with although is still nice is bonnie perhaos get it down to two and then decide when born xxx
  • Options
    Just realised that the chavs next door have a boxer named Honey - scratch that from the list!!!

It's between Lucy and Lottie now so at least we have a very short short list!!

xx
  • Options
    I think both Lucy and lottie are lovely but I think as lottie has been on your list throughout it's obviously your favourite name and so a shame not to use it image hth