Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Beeping MILs!

My MIL is peeing me off again, and this time she is upsetting hubby too!
We had planned a nice big family Christmas in Yorkshire at the house I used to live at (my brother is there now) as it is a good size and would mean we could have my mum, step dad, dad, step mum, brother, mil, fil, and possibly even my step sister all together for Christmas dinner. That way we could keep everyone happy and Brendan could have a nice big Christmas for his first one.
Everyone had agreed to come (had this planned since the summer when we were in the UK!) and then last night we get a call from the mil so say 'sorry your brother has decided he is going to come up north for Christmas so we are having dinner with him and his wife at his wifes mothers house instead'.
Now as pleased as I am that I don't have to put up with her I also think it is so bloomin rude to basically say, 'I've had a better offer!!'.
Also the bit that really annoyed me was that when my hubby got upset with her that we had asked her first etc she started moaning about how she wanted him and his brother to go to her for Christmas but she never got what she wanted did she?! image My hubby was on the internet phone and had her on speaker phone so I just said loudly 'yes but since it could be my Dads last Christmas with the rate he is deterioating he takes priority!'. She did shut up a bit at that and kept leaving big silent pauses, but then after hubby said to her to just forget it and they started talking more normally again she then started moaning that she would hardly see us over christmas?!! WTF????!!
I've told hubby that we are not changing our other plans now for the Christmas period just because of her, it is tough luck!
She was even complaining that we weren't 'allowing' her to come and get us from the airpot when we first arrive, but we have already explained to her that it is a very late Sunday flight which means we won't get in until about 10pm and she has work the next day. Silly us for being considerate.

Phew, I feel loads better already just for venting that lol! Goodness knows what I am going to be like when she comes out to stay in a few weeks! The pregnancy hormones must be kicking in already lol! image

Replies

• What a lovely considerate mil you have!! Well done to you and hubby for sticking to your plans. I hope she doesn't cause too much stress over Christmas.... and if she does ... then let your pregnancy hormones run wild!!! lol
  • What a cow! Don't let her ruin your plans. She sounds like such an attention seeking drama queen.

I'm sure you'll have a much better christmas without her!

Damn but i'm harsh aren't I! And I don't even have any pregnancy hormones to blame it on
  • oh dear i can't be a part of mil discussions anymore it raises the blood pressure just seeing the letters m i l! lol, sorry i honestly do try my best to avoid them now, but just wanted to wish you well, send you hugs and hope that you have a damn good christmas with or without her. i haven't even dared mention christmas in our house yet eek!
  • Oh what is it with families and bloody Christmas dinner?!?! Someone's always intent on spoiling the day miles ahead of it's time...usually by being thoughtless and selfish. You stick to your guns and have a great day...it's her loss. It is rude though of her to do this, and seeing as she'd made plans with you first, she should stick to them too.
    I was in Helmshore yesterday at the textile museum visiting my class (my boss wouldn't pay for me to go on a trip with my own class of kids, tight git!). I know my way round now if you need me to have that word I promised to have a while ago with her??!! lol

Last year, I inivited my mum n dad here but to have a shared cook of the dinner. They agreed as Gracie would be so young by then we'd struggle cooking all the food etc and would be better at ours. Little did I know my brother had already invited them....oops! This year, I've said to my mum that if my bro invited them again, to go to them for dinner then all of them come to us for later on (they live in Burnley too). I'm not too fussed about the dinner part but would love my mum n dad to see the kids with all their pressies etc and share a drink or 2.
  • HOW RUDE!!!
    you enjoy your christmas and sod the beeping MIL!
    mine hasnt met ryan yet and has made no contact yet is slagging us off for not going down to London to them. ermmmmmm...no! stoopid women, why do men come with such baggage lol
  • OMG Holly, can't believe yours can't be bothered to comne and meet Ryan herself! You'd think she'd be dying to meet her grandson...?? So glad mine is nice!
  • eek! mother-in-laws! Don't worry about it - you've arranged to see everyone at christmas and she's going somewhere else thats her choice! we invite everyone over here for the day but it always ends up that we end up going here there and everywhere over the little time we have off to see everyone that won't come here on that one day. Its great to see everyone but it would be nice to have some time as just us as a family.
    I hope that this sorts itself out for you Liz - I'm sure it will! I feel a bit sorry for your hubby though! does he get really mad at her? my hubby gets more wound up at his mum than i do!
  • eek! mother-in-laws! Don't worry about it - you've arranged to see everyone at christmas and she's going somewhere else thats her choice! we invite everyone over here for the day but it always ends up that we end up going here there and everywhere over the little time we have off to see everyone that won't come here on that one day. Its great to see everyone but it would be nice to have some time as just us as a family.
    I hope that this sorts itself out for you Liz - I'm sure it will! I feel a bit sorry for your hubby though! does he get really mad at her? my hubby gets more wound up at his mum than i do!
  • Thanks everyone!
    I had calmed down about it and was focusing on the good side - that she won't be with us on Christmas day lol! Then she called the other evening and told hubby she wanted to know what all his school holidays were next year so she could book her leave from work as it has to be booked this week apparantly. She didn't even ask to say would it be ok if she came out during one of his holidays which is what made me angry. I know teachers get quite a few holidays but it isn't like he can pick and choose when he has them so we have to make the most of them - I certainly don't want her coming over every holiday he has!

We still haven't told her I am pregnant thankfully, although I have told my mum but hubby doesn't know that! :roll: I've asked my Mum if she would come out around my due date so Bren has someone to look after him and spoil him when the new baby arrives. No way do I want my MIL here!!!!!!! Gosh I am mean aren't I! image

• Lol!! How lucky am I?? No MIL to worry about!
    As for spoilt Christmas'.... My name was mud as far as my BIL goes last year as my sis was at the hospital from the Sunday before Christmas til Boxing Day!! No Christmas dinner for him!! Lol
  • Mother in laws were created to be horrid pain in the bums as far as I can tell!!! Mine sounds remarkable similar to yours Liz. We were due to go to them last Christmas and they STILL all complain about the fact that we didn't go - ummmmm yeah I had a 20 day old baby who had spent 10days in special care we had just got home and yeah I was really gonna drive 3 hours down to stay with someone so I could look like a drained wreck and be got at by the whole family! No I was gonna snuggle in my own house with my new family and have my mum and dad drive 6 hours to come and cook and clean for us and nurture us! STUPID PEOPLE! Unfortunately we are spending this christmas with them - YUK!
  • Oh no poor you! They just don't think do they? I'm sure they think whatever we do is intentionally to upset them.

I'm feeling a bit smug about the fact she doesn't know I am pregnant so I am just focusing on that at the moment. Although I am still paranoid that it is early days and something could go wrong. :roll:

Guess we just have to make sure we don't end up being MILs like them!
  • what a cow Liz but as you say least you dont have to put up with her at xmas. Congrats by the way on the pregnacy I haven't been on for a while so just seen it in this post so fingers crossed it all goes well.
  • Haven't even thought about christams yet, let alone all the rows about who goes where and when!! I'd really like the christmas day i had last year, step kids at mothers from 9-4, ham sandwich for christmas dinner, BLISS!!!!

Hope situations stays calm for you Liz
  • Hmmm. Christmas Day for me last year included a hospital Christmas Dinner followed by a drip to get things moving. Lovely!
    I did get a nice pressie off the Ward Nurses though! Lol
  • Um if I remember correctly it wasn't my mil that upset me last year but the fact that on Christmas day Dave spent 3 hours in our local between 11-2!! He actually looked a bit put out that I didn't want to go with him!! :roll: But as the pub gets really crowded on christmas day and bryn was only 11 days old I really didn't feel like it! I did think that when he said 'I'll just show my face and wish everyone happy christmas' he wasn't going to be that long!!! MEN!! (and MILs!!)
  • well i havent got a mil as such!!! (hubbys mum buggared off years and years ago ive never seen her or a photo nothing cause she took everything) and his dads partner is 10 years older than him and a right batalax - we call her cat bum face!!! well in a way im lucky cause she doesnt ring and come over as such but does interfere when she can and always makes me looka nd feel like a plink!!!

aaarrgghhhhh x
  • catbumface?? thats the best name for a mil i've ever heard!
  • cat bum face..thats very polite!
    Well i was another one that had the fun last christmas of being in hospital. I have a pic somewhere of the delightful hospital christmas dinner with the scary coloured carrots, and the yummy christmas dinner hubby cooked on boxing day for comparison! Guess which one got eaten! lol!

Emma surprised you didn't kill him for going off to the pub!

I refuse to get into rows and problems about christmas day - I have started dictating from when I was pregnant that c hristmas day is for the 3 of us and thats it! I flat out refused to make plans last christmas (my mum got the hump but i was prooved right that it was pointless to bother) - noone has mentioned it yet but the inlaws will be up next week so I dunno if they will but we are adament that christmas day will not be about dragging cole here there and everywhere!
  • lol you lot are hysterical!! Cat bum face??!!! :lol:

Well, my MIL has been here since Sunday evening and I have been feeling a bit bad for slating her as she has actually been ok. She has been a bit over the top with Bren, grabbing him all the time and trying to get him to sit on her knee but he is so wriggley now he won't sit still for 1 minute and just shuffles off her knee onto the floor!
    She still hasn't ever changed a nappy though - that was a fab thing my Mum did when she was over, she did every nappy during the day what bliss for me!!
    I let her take him out in the pushchair yesterday morning for an hour and I have done the same again today (hence why I am on here!). I am still paranoid when he isn't near me because I'm just not used to it but she was good yesterday and didn't take him our for longer than she had said. I did explain to her that I am not used to him being away from me which is why I'm funny about anyone taking him off somewhere. I think she thinks I am weird but at least I have told her how I feel.

But then I went to bed at about 9:30pm last night as I was shattered as Bren had woken up at about 3am that morning and wouldn't settle for an hour (I think it was teething). My hubby told me this morning that he got questioned when I went to bed about whether or not I was pregnant and were we even trying for another?! I was really surprised as I am sure I haven't said anything to make her suspect. Hubby had done really well though and had actually lied to her and said no I wasn't and that if we were trying it wasn't really her business and we would tell her when and if we wanted her to know. I was really surprised he managed to lie as he is normally rubbish at it, but he did say to me 'well it is her own fault, she shouldn't have blabbed to everyone last time when we told her not to'.
    Plus I had an awful dream last night that I started bleeding and I woke up and for a minute I thought it was real, so I am really not in the mood for telling her!

I did think it was a bit weird that she started going through names that she liked yesterday, and asking me if I thought Anna was a nice name for a girl. Very strange!! x