Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Wet through

Lije has a bottle in bed which he drinks before he goes to sleep each night (about 8 ounces.)
On the occasions he does wake up in the night, we give him another bottle and he will go straight back.

Usually when he wakes it is because he is totally wet through and even if he sleeps all night, his vest/pjs/sheet/mattress will all be totally wet too. So im either having to change everything in the middle of the night or in the morning. I have to strip the cot every day and it even goes through his mattress protector!

Im not sure what im doing wrong. Should i be giving him less ounces before bed or cutting out drinks after a certain time? (He doesnt drink loads anyway.)
I thought it was the nappy size perhaps being too small, but even when ive tried size 6 he still wets through :\( Should i try pull ups or those pyjama pants ive seen advertised or something? Any tips/ideas?
Btw, he also wets through when he naps, so seems like the position he sleeps in, but he has pampers & not cheap nappies. Must be uncomfortable & irritating for him & annoying for me halfway through the night! (Hubby seems to go selectively deaf at night times....hmmm :rollimage Help?? Thanks girlies xxx

Replies

• We had the same problem with Holly wetting through the night, I wouldnt advise pull ups they are more for accidents and are not very absorbent. We use tesco's nappys on Holly and they are better than pampers imo.
    I would deffo try and cut back the amount he is drinking through the night. Why not try giving him porridge just before you put him to bed so that his tummy is full and he wont wake wanting milk, we tried this and it worked a treat then after a couple of weeks we cut it out and she slept right through with no leaking nappys.
  • May be worth a change in nappy if the nappy itself isn't absolutely bursting full. Some seem to be better suited depending on the shape of los bum! I hated pampers when Bren was small as they leaked all the time but went back to them (they are pretty cheap over here which makes a change!) when he was over a year old and they have been fine. I used the Tescos ones when I was in the UK too and they were ok too although gave him a bit of a pink mark on his tummy.

It does sound like he is drinking loads at night which won't be helping. It would be worth cutting down on that anyway as it will be a nightmare when it comes to potty training. Brendan usually has juice with his dinner, then has his bath and then has a bottle of milk usually around 6fl oz. He doesn't always finish it, but sometimes insists on taking it to bed with him and puts it on the night table before he goes to sleep lol! Do you think he is actually thirsty when he wakes up or is he using it as a prop to go back to sleep? May be worth just offering a small amount of water, that way it isn't anything too nice, and make sure you interact with him as little as possible.

Another thing to make sure is (not to be rude!) but make sure his winky is tucked into his nappy properly and isn't going towards the side of the nappy. Could be another factor causing the leaks!

Hope you get it sorted, must be a nightmare.

How are you feeling? x
  • i'd second changing the nappy - personally i think pampers are crap! Could you try getting a reusable nappy wrap (or even i think boots sell the bog standard plastic pants for over terry nappies) and pop that on over his nappy to try and contain leaks/

• Thanks for your replies!

I have put him down for nap today with just 6 ozs (and winky facing down Liz! lol)
    When he does wake for bottle its definetely out of habit and goes weeks without waking, so its just a habit weve got into when he wakes, as he doesnt have dummy. If i offered water i think we'd have him kicking off, but I will try and get out of it!

Will also try a few different nappies. Ive always found huggies crap & morrissons/asdas werent much better but will have a look around & see.
    Kia- nappy wrap/plastic pants might be worth a go-thanks!

In myself, ive been much better since starting the antidepressants & even days when i feel unwell, ive at least tried to get out & felt more confident/positive about trying. (Managed to see a friend last week, took elijah & got 3 trains & 2 buses!!!) Got hospital appt. on march 23rd so we shall see xxx
  • Was going to post this about a month ago because we have this problem too. Tried all sorts of nappies - can't believe some on here are dry at night. In the end have put him down to 4oz and it's done the trick, he doesn't even seemed to have noticed.

Well done you bluey - all that transport hope your friend appriciated it!
  • Not really had this problem much at all with Miss G, but I do know that when the nappy's too big it's more likely to cause leaks. Gracie still in 4+ size, as when I did try size 5 she did leak!

Glad you are feeling more normal and how brave are you?! I'd never do trains n buses with my los on my own!
  • This site just eats replies!
    Well the last few nights i have put him to bed with just 5ozs at naptime and bedtime and have also got a small pack of boots size 6 super dry nappies. The combination of those things seems to be working! Phew! He wasnt wet this morning or this afternoon so that was great image
    Unfortunately my mum just bought us a huge 2 boxes of pampers 5+ lol, so i'll have to use those at home in the day and the boots ones at night and going out until the pampers are used up!
    Im also planning to tackle the bottle issue starting next week as hes got a cold at the moment. Going to stop it during the day next week and the week after tell him the bottles are going to the little babies and stop it altogether! EEK XXxx
  • Good luck with that!! Glad to hear he's not wetting through - Bryn stays vertually dry all night but can wet through a nappy within an hour or two of getting up in the morning... I'm hoping this is a good sign for when I try and potty train him!. I've found pampers rubbish but huggies have been great - it's odd isn't it how they're different for different littleuns. xxx