Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

injections tomorrow

Cole has his first injections tomorrow and I'm dreading it..I just feel so bad that I'm taking him to get injected with 5 different things...its such an awful lot for a tiny boy. Well ok he's not that tiny but still he's not quite 2 months old. Hubby is off work so at least he can come too. If I'm this bothered about these injections I dread to think what I'll be like when its time for his mmr...thats the injection I'm really bothered about.

Don't know whether to give him calpol before we go or leave it till after if he seems affected - hv said I could give him 2.5ml before we went..but that wasn't helpful as to whether it was a good idea. What did you guys do?

Replies

• Options
    I didn't give Philip any Calpol till about 4hrs after his injections, even though the nurse said i should have bought it with me and given it to him straight away, tbh he probably didn't need the dose, no temperature just his cheeks going a bit rosy.

Go with your instinct, if you don't want to give it him unless he really needs it don't do it.

When i took Philip the girl who went in before me came out, was desperately trying to get dummy in baby's mouth, calpol down it's throat and a bottle in the mouth, seemingly all at the same time, when all the little girl really wanted was a cuddle.

Hopefully he won't be too bad, Philip was ok till the silly nurse started shaking bells in his face, she soon got told to stop!

Good luck, hope it goes ok for you
  • Options
    Good luck Kia and Cole! I didn't give Gracie Calpol till about 5 hours after -she slept so much afterwards anyway!
    My hv said it was the 3rd lot with 3 jabs that you'd prob be best giving them a dose before as that hurts the legs more, poor mites!
    Gracie's legs didn't get any lumps this time and apart from extra sleep you wouldn't know she'd had them (that and the 2 prick marks on her legs!)
    She's been sleeping thru ever since....!
  • Options
    hi kia
    good luck today im sure all will go fine
    i did give ryan 3ml as prescribed by doc as he had been so grumpy and out of sorts the two days before and he was fine. he slept through the jabs actually. even slept while i changed his manky nappy on the nurses bed thing!!
    ryan did grow 3cm that week so the growth spurt and jabs really knocked him out of sorts. he didnt need anymore calpol although i was impressed with how quick his high temp went down when he had it. good stuff!
  • Options
    Ohhh good luck!! Holly was ment to have hers this week but because I am soo full of the cold the hv said she wouldn't give them until I was better so she is hopefuly getting them next week (she will be over 10ks). I however made the mistake of giving Holly calpol BEFORE her jabs which she didn't end up getting and felt sooooo guilty!
    I will deffo be making sure oh is there coz Im terrible with needles!
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Amy xxx
  • Options
    Poor little boy..he cried after the first one and cried really badly through the second one. I felt so guilty. I held him and hubby signed the thing, hubby felt guilty for signing to say he could have the injections even though we both know they are for the best. We went for a walk afterwards cause we figure letting him sleep it off for a while would be best and 2 hours later he's still asleep, although he has opened his eyes a couple of times and looks decidedly unhappy poor boy. I think he's stirring now though, he's probably ready for a feed. I have the calpol on standby.

HV tried shaking hte bells at Cole too and he was definately not interested...least she didnt stick them in his face!
  • Options
    Bryn screamed too - & for about 2 hours after - I took him for a walk to see if it would calm him down but he just cried the whole time - gave him calpol as soon as we got home and it seemed to help - he slept all afternoon - he was a bit crabby the following day too but he was fine after a couple of days..... Only 2 weeks now til his next lot image
  • Options
    Alfie had his injections today too. Hubby had to take the day off as i too am rubbish with needles!
    He cried, bless him. Had the calpol on standby but after a couple of mins he calmed down and went to sleep. Gave him some before his next feed just in case but hes been brill today and at the moment is smiling and 'singing' with daddy!!! Why is it they get sooo much energy before bedtime?!
    At least we didnt have any bells dangled in our faces! What the hell is that all about?!
  • Options
    Cole slept for a good 2 1/2 hours and then woke up in a right state, upset, hungry, wet nappy - he had a change, guzzled his bottle and wouldn't settle - it was awful seeing him so upset. He settled down when I breastfed him for a bit but woke soon as I moved. Ended up giving him some calpol and he slept a bit more and woke up just in time for bath time. He actually seemed to improve during his bath - he likes his bath. He's in bed now... he's been up there for about 45 minutes...its been a while since we've got him up to bed before us.

I guess the bells were meant to distract them from crying but it didn't bloody work!! Stupid idea really...like bells are gonna help when the lo's hurt.

I actually felt sorry for the hv - she came into the waiting room and said 'who's first?' and everyone looked at each other not wanting to go in!

I had a letter today saying to take Cole to the baby clinic on a particular day for a 'routine assessment'.. wtf is that all about?? She picked up on Cole's dry skin today (she'd forgotten that when I showed her last week she hadn't said anything useful just asked me what washing powder I was using). She seemed surprised though that I'd managed to get Oilatum Junior for Cole's bath on prescription from the doc all by myself without her suggesting it! I might have been imagining it but she did seem a bit accusatory when she asked about his skin...like I hadn't noticed and was looking after it. Maybe I just don't like being ordered to a 'routine assessment'...I think its too much like interfearing when we are doing fine and I'll take him to the docs if there are any problems.
  • Options
    Nhs gone mad i'd say! We had letter Wed saying to take Gracie to our docs for her 1st jabs...durrrr, she had them a week ago!
    Did they do all the baby body checks at his 6/8week check? Gracie farted all the way through hers, good lass!
    Hope Cole had a settled night and feels better today x
  • Options
    Hi girls, been offline for a few days so just catching up!
    Amy had her jabs on Tuesday and it was horrible. Had to go on my own as oh stuck in traffic - grrrr
    She cried such a pitiful painful cry that it broke my heart. She cried for about 2 hours after and then slept for a couple of hours, woke up for a feed but only wanted 2oz and then slept for 14 hours through the night!!!
    I did give her calpol before we went to doc's and made sure she had her dummy in her mouth the whole time.
    The nurses annoyed me though afterwards as they were practically shoving us out the door as soon as the injections were given, I'd managed to get Amy's sleepsuit back on and had to finish getting her dressed in the waiting room! Never mind the fact that they kept us waiting for 20 minutes beforehand!

She still isn't herself and is messing about with her feeds and sleeping lots - she just seems to want lots of cuddles which I am happy to give!

I'm dreading the next injections but oh is definitely coming as he has the day off work - thank god!
  • Options
    Poor little buggers! Not looking forward to Brendan getting his! They start them later out here though so he doesn't get his first ones until he is 3 months old. I was thinking about registering him with my UK doctor when I am back at easter (he will be 11 weeks) and seeing if I can get him his jabs but that will just throw out all of his repeat injections so I'm just going to wait it out. At least my mum brought some Calpol over ready!!

Well done to all the los that have already had their jabs and their brave mummies!

L xx
  • Options
    Forgot to say that when the doctor was checking Alfies balls, he squeezed them and alfie puked! Was quite a funny reaction!!!
  • Options
    Suz- I guess a lot of grown men would puke to if grabbed by the balls!

Not looking forward to Marcus injections but will be prepared with the Calpol after reading everyones posts.
  • Options
    Wow Jillycat your lo looks tiny! - And gorgeous! I'm like you had mine well into Jan. Hope you're both keeping well, can't believe my lo is nearly 7 weeks old! Just got through the date in the post of first set of injections, 4.3.08 and am too ready with the calpol!

El x

El x
  • Options
    Cole has been ok yesterday and today other than a bit of grizzling and his poor legs have bright big lumps image

Only problem is that he woke up at 5am yesterday and 5.30am today! What happened to 7am!!! I'm glad hubby has been off work cause it means I get to lie in after he's had a bf and a bit more of a sleep..Cole that is on the bf and sleep, not hubby!!

We have been really strict this week on getting Cole in his bath for 8 - and the last 2 nights have had him asleep in bed before us. Tonight he has only just gone up but bathtime was about 10 minutes late. Hopefully we can keep this up when hubby goes back.

I wish they didn't inject them so soon...its too much in my opinion!

Oh and...poor Alfie.. I don't blame him for puking!! Hope he puked on the doc... why on earth did the doc squeeze his balls!???
  • Options
    el mac- he is no longer tiny at least 10lb 5 that was over a week ago its just that photo is one of my fav and don't have a close up one where he is smiling and not looking cross at the flash. Marcus is 6 weeks now time is just flying by. Hope things are going well with your lo.

Jillycat
  • Options
    Alioli - my friends lo who is 4wks older than Philip has only just had her first injections, the dr's surgery "forgot" to post her appointment out then the stupid hv said injections were at 3 months, assuming that she had had her first ones, it was only cos i said Philip had his appointment that she questionned it, thought that hv could be trusted which i think we all now know isn't always the case!

Philip tried to pee on the dr when she squeezed his balls but as she is mum to 2 boys and does all the baby 6wk checks she was a bit too quick with the nappy for him! Did make her laugh though as he was the 1st appointment of the day and how 1st one behaves normally indicates what kind of day she'll have, one must have got her!
  • Options
    Thats Holly just had her jabs today (she'll be11wks on Friday) it nearly broke my heart hearing her sreaming and crying thankfuly oh was there to hold her or I wouldn't have been able to do it. I was nearly snatching Holly out her daddys arms coz I couldnt stand hearing her in pain, she stopped crying quite quickly but now she's really grizzly and not wanting to settle. If she is still like it later I'll get the calpol out.
  • Options
    Poor Holly. The calpol should help...and Cole really cheered up after his bath. Its really annoying..ever since his injections he's been waking up earlier... this morning was 6.20 which is an improvement on the 5.30 wake up... but I liked it when he woke at around 7!!
  • Options
    Lucky you, Id be happy if Holly slept till 5 lol she goes down between 11 and 2 and sleeps for about 3 maybe 4 hours and then wants fed! I think she is just a hungry baby and not being satisfied. Ive got a dietician callng tomorrow to discuss hat would be best either formula or solids.
    What time do you put Cole down? He's such a cutie image
    xxx