Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

so what to do about this - potty related

We are on the ball with potty training and so far has been going FAB!

BUT Max has never been dry through the night so I was just leaving him in pull ups at night for the moment. However first night of potty training about 3 hrs after going to bed he was moaning and groaning for about half an hour (this is UNHEARD of unless he is ill and he is not) then when he got up the next day hubbie said to him 'did you not sleep well?' and Max said 'no, i needed my potty for wee wee' now each night he seems to be stirring at a similar time.

So what do we do? Do we get him up for a wee? I am not even certain he is totally awake and don';t really want to wake him if he is not? I am sure he would still wet again later in the night and we don't want to be up and down to the potty all night but I think the rest of the night he is in a deep enough sleep that he just goes without a thought. I don't want to make nighttimes harder int he long run but is it better to just leave him to get used tot he fact that at night he can have a wee?

Any ideas??? :\?

Replies

• Most parent's get their children up when they go to bed and put them on the toilet once they go without a nappy for the night.

We were having big probs with LO having very wet nappies at night and leaking which is why the push for PT was even more important. Well since PT his nappies are a lot lighter. So I did try getting him up for a wee at 10.30ish. He didn't properly wake up but usually did a wee and I just popped hiom back to bed and he went off. However have stopped this as the nappy was still wet in the morning. If though he was stirring at a certain time and he has told you it's for a wee then no doubt Id get him up for one.
  • I get Philip up everynight about 10.30-11pm sit him on his seat and he performs! He never properly wakes up and as soon as i lay him back down he is asleep again. The one night i didn't get him up as he was looked so comfy he was drenched in the morning! Other than that i haven't had a wet nappy from him in the morning since mid march, he even asks me to take him for a wee when i go to bed as part of his bedtime routine.

The last few nights he has also been moaning and groaning and i only realised why when he shouted i want a wee one night.

Go for it, you don't know till you try but maybe do it one night when you don't have to get up for work the next day, just in case he doesn't drop straight back off!

Good luck xx
  • I have been using pull up nappies with Brendan at night and uually about 20 mins after going to bed he shouts me and asks to go to the toilet. I've just been taking him, letting him do what he needs to and then putting him straight back to bed with minimal fuss. He hasn't stirred again in the night to ask to go but generally has fairly dry nappies in the morning. As soon as we take his nappy off in the morning he sits on his potty before we get him dressed.
    I think it is a case of telling Max to let you know if he needs the toilet, maybe encouraging him more to use the toilet leading up to the hour before he goes to bed.

My main problem is that when Bren is shouting to go to the loo he often wakes Jacob up as they share a room. We're now thinking maybe we should turn the spareroom into Brendans room and just move him in with Jacob when we have people over visiting. That way we can hopefully get into a much better bedtime routine with them both. Once we get the work done on the house we will have a load more room so they can have a bedroom each then no problem - but that could take a couple of years so have to do something in the meantime.

Sorry for the waffle lol! Good to hear Max is doing fab with the potty training, I think the thought of it is worse then when you are actually training them (touch wood anyway!!). x