Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

ok - please help ...

I have got an interview on Friday - HOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!

I really dislike my current school (well the management and staff really the kids are fab) - did before maternity leave and there was no way I was returning to work there full time after my maternity leave hence my part time. However, we are struggling financially and there is no way I can continue on 2 days a week and us manage. So this job would be full time from January but I might be able to get it part time maybe 4 days a week.

It is a real dream job for me when I applied I didn't really think I would get it. It is working as a liason teacher for children with speech and language difficulties based in one school in a speech and langauge unit and then doing liason work to other primary school to give support to pupils in mainstream with speech and language difficulties and giving support to parents too.

So I have the interview on Friday and a visiti around the school tomorrow afternoon, so what do I wear to each thing??? HELP

Replies

• yey congratulations missis!!!

what to wear - difficult one but if i was you id go smart to both but for the look around school just nice top and smart work trousers and heals (not killer) then for interview go all out and wear a suit if you have one if not again smart top and trousers... as long as you feel comfy!

i know perhaps in your job you dont have to dress that smart espcially as your working with kiddies all day - but it is an interview and others will prob go dressed up!

good luck
  • Was goign to drag my suit out of the wardrobe and see if it still fits for Friday but it's the look around the school I am wondering about - the only trousers I really have that fit well are jeans and I don't think I can go that casual :lol: the school I am at at the moment we can wear jeans to but I know most aren't that lax!

Thanks for the reply star11
  • Sounds great! Well done!
    I'd wear a smart outfit for the visit, say one of the better school outfits I possess lol and do the suit (skirt/pants) for the interview for def.
    My old head, an absolute star, retired in 2001 but does our Y6 lit/num booster classes til Sats. Anyway, we were talking the other day of getting a deputy and he said he always went for the fittest at interview! I wet myself! He's such a case and probably there was a bit of truth in what he said ha ha!
    I know you'll know this, but make sure you ask some good questions during the visit and smile! I hate it when people look round our school wanting a job and the miserable cows just look disapproving at us minnions!
    Good luck x
  • mmmm what to do! def not jeans!!! when i went back i hadnt got any money for new work clothes and i have one pair of black trousers and i have the button undone - how bad is that!!!!!!!!!!!! and skanky!!!!!

have you a skirt with thick tights??? linin trousers??? maternity trousers???

• Do you have time to get something? I'd definately say smart to both cos the tour of the school is going to be their first impression of you. When i had my interview i had nothing to wear and nipped down peacocks and bought a cheap plain pair of black trousers. when i got the job and they wanted me to start the next week i had to go out and buy a few new outfits as i work 5 days a week. It'll definately be worth the investment if you get the job! i worked at a restaurant once and one of the waiters went for the interview in a full suit. he got the job though because the owners knew he was serious! ( he was in fact mad as a hatter but a brilliant waiter)

Best of luck, let us know how it goes this afternoon and what you decide to wear!.
    xx
  • Ohhhh I deffo agree with everyone on the oufit front, smart for the look around the school and suit for the interview. Im sure you wil do fantastically well xxx
  • Right ho - thanks for the advice everyone. I have smart skirt and top with boots ready to put on in a minute for the visit and all the directions printed out, max is already dropped at nuresery for his extra afternoon session that they so kindly squeezed him in for me (thank goodness I have such a lovely nursery).

And Ali I wll remember to smile and ask a lot of questions but hopefully they will be sensible questions not just gobbledigook! :lol:
  • Oh good luck
    Definately agree with the smart look. Smart over smart-casual is definately good for a first impression - I've seen tons of people interviewed at work and the state some people turn up in is pathetic. White plastic 4inch heels do not get you a job! lol!
  • White plastic 4 inch heels?? They got me my job....:lol:image

How'd it go?? x
  • I loved it - which makes me want the job EVEN more! There are 4 of us being interviewed and may I say I am the youngest by a mile! The others are all late 40's early 50's while I am 28. I smiled a lot and asked lots of relevant questions. My interview is the last at 11.15 on Fri they are only half hour interviews which is good I think.

Oh goodness I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want it! :\(
  • Good girl, smiles and questions go down a treat! Glad you like it still, and I really hope you get the job. Let us know!
    We've got interviews at ours on Thurs for a sports dev manager and they'd be assisting me with my extended role. And one of them is sex on legs! Oh, how I will cope if I have to spend my days in meetings with a fitty with his shorts on!? Oh swoon! image
  • I am so excited for you!!! Will they tell you on friday?They might be able to give you a good indication if you are the last.
  • Oh a fitty for you ali - v jealous but make sure your tongue doesn't hang on the floor too much :lol:

Normally with teachign jobs you find out the same day so yes Julesy in theory I will know on Fri - either way I am having a takeaway to celebrate or comisserate with! image
  • celebrate i bet
  • Sounds good craftycharli! I work as a speech and language therapist and we have a very similar service in our area. The SLT and the 'outreach' teacher work very closely together and go out to support pupils in mainstream but are based in a communication unit within a school.

I'm trying to think of any helpful advice but not coming up with many idea. Perhaps you could wax lyrical about any kids that you've previously had with communication difficulties and how you've supported them!? If you have any questions then give me a shout. XX
  • How exciting! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

As the others say, be friendly and enthusiastic, I know this sounds obvious but you would be surprised how many people I have interviewed that have just not seemed bothered or have known very little about the job they are being interviewed for!! Big deep breath before you go in to calm the nerves, have a think before the interview about why you want the job, what you can offer them (strengths and weaknesses), relevant experience so that you feel more prepared for their questions. Also don't slag off your old place, you would be surprised how many people do and it doesn't sound good! So have a good reason for why you want to leave that isn't - I hate the management lol!! :lol:

Good luck!!!!!!!!!! xxx