Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

getting him in his own room 4 next baby

Hi, I have a son 15 months and i'm due to have my second boy in June.

I was wondering if u knew how to get them into their own room?

or if its best he stays in our room until hes comfortable?

for weeks now aswell its been hard to get my son to bed as he prefers his dad to take him but his dad is very unpatient and doesnt care to take him. only if hes going to bed himself.

any ideas? appreciate it

Replies

• I think you just have to do it....it's all or never really. It's best to do it well before your next baby's due so they don't link the move with the arrival of the new baby. My 3 all went into their own rooms at an early age (about 3 mth) so just went in fine, unaware really. He'll prob play up for a bit but if you want him to settle in his own room, you have to stick at it. As I'm typing this, my lo is screaming her head off in her cot! She's normally fine and goes to sleep straight away, but she was ill last nt and ended up in our bed so she's playing lil madam now wanting us!
    Hope all goes well when you do decide to move him.
  • Hi,

I'm the same as Ali, Brendan was in his own room (next to ours) from about 3 months old and he moved with no probs. Maybe try and make it exciting for him, are you putting him in a cot or moving him into a bed? You could maybe get bedding of one of his favourite characters, or something, I know they don't understand masses at this age but may help a bit.

We need to get a bed for Brendan so that when our next lo comes along in June the cot is free. It is going to be so weird putting him in a bed and not a cot!

You may have a bad week with him but as Ali says you will just have to go for it, fingers crossed you don't have any problems xx
  • I think i'm going to get him a junior bed because he hates been in his cot. we have a bed guard for the side so he dont fall out and the other side is against the wall. but he still hates it and ends up in our bed in the early morning ormiddle of night til he falls asleep again.

so i think he'll love it. i'm also getting him a childrens duvet thats got jungle theme on it, will be nice for him i think. going to make his room all cosy. And get him to sleep in there when its ready. i guess i'll just see what happens and keep patient.

thanks
  • Sounds like youre doing all the right things making his room appealing for him.
    With Elijah he was in his own room from around 5mth and went in fine, but we moved house when he was 9mths which caused problems and he ended up in with us. We now finally have him back in his own room and hes absolutely fine, so dont worry about him being this age.
    What i did was for 3 days i put him in his cot in own room to play for a little while each day. Then I told him he was going to have his sleep in here soon. Then after that, when he was used to the room, I put him down for his morning nap in there and just had him sleep in our room at night. He did cry at first, but i left him to it for 10 mins and he then fell fast asleep.
    After doing naps in his room for a few days I did the night time thing. He was fine going down, maybe cried a bit, but i left him for 10 mins. If he was really upset i would go in, pick him up and cuddle for a minute or two, then tell him 'its sleep time now' and put him back down and leave the room as quickly as poss.
    If you are consistent i dont see any problems and he'll feel safe knowing whats going to happen. Hope this helped! Good luck! xx
  • My 2nd is due in 2weeks!and Mia is already in her own room in her cot,but will be moving her into a bed and different room soon, once baby is a couple of months older to go into her cot! if that makes sense...??xx
  • I agree with others and doing it as soon as possible then hopefully beofore baby comes along he'll be settled and happy! i had my lo in own room from about 2 weeks but to be fair the walls that thin you would think he's in same room!j

good idea with getting bed and making it all nice and perhaps get a night light!