Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

potty training

ryan is not interested and i know i know i know i should not worry etc etc but he wont even entertain the idea of nappy off. and with his constipation problem (is under pedeatrician and on lactulose constantly) i know the whole thing is gonna be a nightmare. im not too worried as long as he is nearly 3 and getting ready at the latest, and is fully dry for school i am realistic about this, its just i am so aware of how hard its gonna be. i no at lot of the los on here do sit on a potty occasionally and more so just need advice/reassurance really!!!
help!
xxx

Replies

• Heya,
    Well Holly will use her potty on when at home and naked from the waist down but as soon as you put pants, tights, any form of trousers or skirt on she wont entertain the idea. I am planning on leaving her a few weeks and trying again. Does Ryan have a potty just lying around? Maybe you could try sitting him on it and letting him watch his fav tv show? I wouldnt worry about it just yet, there is no real rush besides think how much easier it will be to potty train in the summer xxx
  • Max sat on his poty for ages fully clothed (months and months) and would not entertain having any cloths off - now he will sit on it but only if he is totally naked! :roll:

But I know he is nowhere near being potty trained and I am not bothered - when he's ready it'll happen. He will not still be in nappies when he is at school so all will be well!
  • thanks for replying
    ryan wont sit on potty, have had it around for a while even tried taking it away for bit and bringin it back he really wont entertain it all!
    i suppose i have got loads of time to con him into sitting on it clothes on or not!
    xx
  • did you involve him in the potty choice??? We bought a cheap potty in ikea and Max was having none of it - took him to our Mothercare World and let him havefree rein of choice and picked a Thomas one that is like a bloody arm chair and was ??17 to boot image but that was the only one he would sit on so I suppose it's worth it!
  • Bryn is nowhere near ready - with Tristan I left it until he wanted to try it and at about 2 and 3/4s he potty trained in a day - he was dry day and night from that day on.... Ophelia was more difficult and she had a real problem with constipation too - in the end my sister bought her one of those all singing and dancing pottys (ok not literally) and it helped but she was about 3 when she was finally dry in the day and a bit older when she was dry at night - they are all so different - he's obviously not ready so I'd wait until he is. xx
  • thanks the for the reassurance everyone, will def leave him be, i think it will be late summer before hes anywhere near ready. great idea with the potty choosing too, thanks for that one image xxx
  • oh fin is no way near ready - just not interested i have potty he knows what its for but says NO brought thomas pants but says NO PANT JUST NAPPY! im dreading it.................

i was meaning to ask about lo's poos...........sorry!
    fin usually goes once a day but they dont resemble adult style poo if you get me... still quite sloopy and i thought there is no way he would sit on potty to produce that as it takes him ages to finish pooing - he eats loads of fruit which maybe causes that not sure......................sorry discusting question!

• Brendan isn't quite ready but he is showing signs. He knows when he is doing a poo and hides away somewhere, and then asks to be changed (he never used to be bothered and would make a fuss when I wanted to change him!). He is also showing more interest in the toilet and we have been telling him more about what happens when you go to the loo (i.e. take your trousers down, sit on the loo, do a wee). A friend recommended the Gina Ford potty training book which I have just got and it is quite good. She has a list at the start which are must be able to dos before even attempting potty training. They are:
    - over 18 months
    - nappy frequently dry when you get them up from a daytime nap and can go a couple of hours from a nappy change which is an indication they have some bladder control.
    - aware when they are doing a poo (going to a corner etc)
    - Can understand and follow simple instructions such as 'get the ball'.
    - Keen to participate in taking their own clothes off.
    - Are able to point to different parts of their body when you ask.

The final one is that they are able to sit still for five to ten minutes watching a dvd or with a toy. Bren is a bit hit and miss with that it depends on what mood he is in!

The book is a good read though with lots of tips so worth getting if you have concerns.

I'm going to do Brendan when it gets warmer, mainly from the washing point of view, but also because I think it is probably better to wait until he is definately ready as I am sure it will make the whole thing easier.

Holly - Gina talks about toddlers becoming constipated when they are concerned about doing a poo on the potty so if Ryan is already having problems I would wait until that is sorted before attempting potty training. May just make it worse.

Am I totally nuts in thinking of just going for it (when I do attempt potty training) with no nappies at night either? I'm just a bit worried about confusing him by putting a nappy on him at bedtime after getting rid of it during the day. Then again as Bren and Jacob share a room the idea of them both being awake several times a night because Brens sheets need changing isn't appealing! Maybe the potty training pants is an idea for night time at first as a compromise....hmmm!

Lets hope this time next year all our los are fully fledged toilet users!! xx
  • Liz - I have no experience of night time dryness but the advice seems to say that there is no WAY you should try and traing them at night until they have woken up with dry nappies for at least a couple of weeks - Max's nighttime nappy is ALWAYS soaking still. Does Bren wake with dry nappies? If not I wouldn't bother going there yet and maybe just get a different kind of nappy for nighttime for when you train _ I don't think it will confuse hima t all!
  • I do not know what has happened to my previous post, Seems to have got totally scrammbled in places!
    Maximum - Bren isn't dry in the morning yet, but he isn't soaking, usually just seems like a wee or two! I think you are right though, probably a good idea two switch two pull up nappys at night when I am potty training. x
  • Just realised why my posts looked messed up to me before - I had the google 'translate to english' function on as had just been looking at a Norwegian site and so it was trying to translate english into english with bizarre results lol!! x
  • No need to worry at all Holly. Gracie showing signs but i think its much better when they want to do it and you can train them within a week for no nappies during the day. As for nights Liz, Alfie was out of nappies then dry at night for about a couple of weeks b4 I took them off him at night (at about age 3). But Charlie was 2y2m when dry during day, but was over 3y for nights. They really are all different.
    Gracie shows sign too, asks for nappy to be changed after a poo and has started after a wee too. We're aay next week in the van or I may have tried her. I want to start and not go back so may leave it a few weeks.

Holly, have you tried seeing if Ryan wants to stand up at the loo (on a step of too small!) or hold the potty up for him to wee into and see if you'll 'wee like daddy'?! Worked for Alfie!
  • Another question:

What do you do at nap times when potty training? Put a pull up on? Cover the bed with something or just pray they don't wet then??
  • Nap times, what's that?! lol Gracie only falls asleep if at all in the car. Think I just left the boys in undies, can't confuse the issue! Put a bed mat on under the sheet and hope they don't piddle!
  • lol Bren is the same Ali, he very rarely has a nap during the day now so at least that isn't an issue!
  • okay well this is where we are at....

we tried at Feb half term, he didn't have a clue wanted to get his sticker for a wee on the potty so after 6 puddles sat on it for 2 hrs and refused to get off [a v red and sore mark on his bottom]

We have been trying again now for 3 days. I'm v surpirsed at how long he can be in pants and be dry. about 2 hrs. wasn't like this in Feb.

as for nighttime nappies, they are soaking, but I still think he's ready for it in the day. DD1 potty trained in the day at 2yr4m but not at night til over 3yrs and even then had accidents esp when on hols or if up later.

potty - we just have a white ikea one and a padded loo seat that was on special offer in tesco. I did look at the chairs about 6 months ago but LO is a BIG boy, he barely squeezed in then with the size of his bottom and thighs, so thought against that esp given the stupid cost!

so far he has done one wee on the potty, when he asked to use it and one when he'd sat on it for 20 mins - again wanting a sticker!

I'm hoping that he'll start learning the signs, as he is only weeing every couple of hrs so im not constantly mopping up.

as for poos - im dreading that!

and finally naps I must have a v lazy boy he could happily sleep for 2/3 hrs in the afternoon. Which is nice as I get lots done but if you're out and about and he hasn't had a proper nap he can be a real grumps!
  • rhys is nowhere near ready. He's been showing signs for awhile tells us he needs to poo etc get the potty out and he'll sit on it for 2 seconds then refuses to go near it.

I trfied him in pants for a few days but he just kept wetting them.

Those with boys, do they want to stand up to wee? rhys does lol i'll sit him down and he stands up and turns around to face potty as if he wants to wee standing up lol
  • Noah's also nowhere near ready - I'm just going to wait til nearer the summer when its warmer and once we're a bit more settled in the new house.
    I haven't even really entertained the idea at all. A couple of times just before bath time if he's had a really wet nappy I've taken it off and let him run around but I think thats luck and the shortness of time thats kept him from weeing on the carpet!!
  • Philip is now in big boy pants although i have a stash of pull ups handy for long journeys in the car, just in case! At night he wears huggies nighttime pull ups which he calls his nightime pants, he likes to check that the picture is still there in the morning which it often is, but i do cheat and sit him on the loo when i go to bed as he often stirs then anyway, he usually goes straight back to sleep too. He doens't nap in the day either although if he does he is in pants as it is in the car, did buy one of those car seat liners though to absorb some on it as washing the car seat cover 3 times in 3 days got a bit much!

When we went to mums last week he was in the same pull up from 8am till 6pm, no wee in the car at all and i only stopped at 2 services so i was very impressed with him. He is getting better at holding it too, if he asks for a wee and i say there is no toilet in the shop can you hold it for a few minutes he does.

I am really grateful as he seems to have just done it on his own with very few major accidents, the carpet has only got it twice (so far!). he even managed a stand up wee the other day although i don't think he was too keen, as he informed everyone in Tesco "I did a wee mummy,standing like daddy, yuck" !
  • Just posted on Bren's post...UPDATE just about to put Oakley to bed and he said I want potty I reminded him poo would get him 2 stickers and he did a wee and poo. It's been a long old old week but feel we're getting there!:\)