Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

the good and the bad...

I'm chuffed.. my friend is expecting her third lo in July, and has just asked me to be godmum to her new little girl. I wasn't expecting that and I'm really pleased to be asked image

The bad is that after 5 months of persevering to make sure that I manage to breastfeed Cole at least once a day, even if its not much, it looks like my milk has finally gone..he's been getting less interested in bf'ing except as a comfort sometimes, or when he's been tired. I was determined to keep bf'ing till Cole was six months but theres not a lot I can do about it now really.

I didn't enjoy bf;ing at first but once I started giving Cole formula I did enjoy it as the pressure was off to fill him up, and I will miss those early mornings cuddled up in bed feeding him. I do feel sad that I've not managed to do better for him, but after the rough birth I know I should be happy I managed this much, and I think I've got enough ebm in the freezer to do a good 3-4 weeks of porridge mixed with ebm which will take me upt ot the six months I wanted to feed for.

Replies

• Options
    Congrats God mum!
    And congrats on feeding for so long! I gave up after 8 weeks for selfish reasons really and looking back could've done what you did with the feeding 1st thing etc. Feel proud for what you've done.
    I think if there wasn't this 6mth tag on bf, mums would feel less pressure and prob feed for as long or as little as they wanted without the guilt. x
  • Options
    I think you did really well to last this long, I just about managed a week.

It's lovely you've been asked to be godmum. I am to my little sister and 2 of my cousins children. We're trying to decide on Rhys's godparents but we can't decide ha ha
  • Options
    Yeah it was kinda selfish reasons I let the bf-ing slide somewhat.. formula was a lot easier in lots of ways. I liked the first thing in the morning feeds after hubby had got up .. plus it was a great way of being lazy and staying in bed longer! That early morning feed kinda went out the window when Cole started waking up at 5am and a bottle was the only way to get him to go back to sleep.

The 6 month tag and all the bf-ing propaganda really doesn't help with the guilt and stuff... the poster n the asda babychanging room flinging bf-ing in your face is still pissing me off and I've seen it a few times now!

I've now got 3 1/2 godchildren now.. image The half is my cousin's youngest.. I'm godmum to her eldest and she wanted me for both but had to ask someone else (family politics) so I'm unofficial godmum there.

• Options
    Congrats on being a god mummy!!
    Well done on feeding Cole for so long, I think its a real achievement and you should be very proud of yourself. I stopped bfing Holly about 3 weeks ago and am proud of myself for lasting so long. I agree with Ali that there is too much presure put on new mums to bf for 6 months and for babys to be solely bf, I bet whoever came up with that has no kids!
  • Options
    Yeah Amy I think you are right.. I'm sure no sane mother would come up with all that stuff! Well done to you too on sticking with the bf'ing Holly for so long!
  • Options
    Congrats on being a godmum again.... I'm godmum to 2 of my neices but tbh I'm a pretty bad one - I'm always forgetting their birthdays - especially the eldest one - mind you she is in her late 20s and in my defence I remembered when she was little - does that count??!

Also, well done on bf-ing for so long... I gave up with Bryn when he was 4 months old as I just couldn't keep up with the demand, and he wouldn't take a bottle while there was the possibility of booby!.... plus I wanted to be able to pass him over to oh to be fed occasionally (this hasn't happened very often though!!). One of the hv at the clinic said to me (with her head on one side and in a very weedy pathetic voice) 'o what a shame, you were doing so well, couldn't you have tried for a bit longer'! My hv said I'd made the right decision for me! I bf'd Ophelia for 8 months and she was a real pain to wean and was soooo clingy and I'm sure that was down to bfing for so long.
  • Options
    Bloody hvs! Don't think mine would've dared say anything like that....she's not got kids yet so it would be a tad rude!
  • Options
    Oh how rude.. think I'd have smacked the hv!!

Thanks everyone.. I knew you lot would make me feel better about no more bf-ing.

Better get a move on with the blanket for my new goddaughter... she's due in a month and I only have 9 squares done!
  • Options
    You sound like my mil kia! She crocheted (sp?) Gracie a blanket and it took her ages to finish it but it was in time for Xmas. Wish I had a crafty talent!
  • Options
    I've still not finished the one I started for cole! That one is kind of boring though cuase its just loads of straight rows of the same stitch..at least granny squares are more interesting!
  • Options
    congrats on being a godmum kia how sweet. u have so many hobbies i wish i had one! may find one now have finishedmy degree...mm maybe get my straighteners and curlers a whirl.........
  • Options
    congrats on being god mummy!!!!

and well done for bf this long!!!! xxxx
  • Options
    Well done on being god mum again. x
    On the bf - thats ace that you were able to go so long. I am starting my weaning off next week when Sam is 6 months. I am quite looking forward to someone else being able to feed him.
  • Options
    Congratulations on being a God Mum Kia - me and hubby are godparents to my best friends little boy - I feel really honoured.

I am so impressed that you all bf for so long (or still are) I'm still beating myself up about not being able to feed Amy myself but hubby actually admitted the other day that he's glad I wasn't able to bf as he loves the closeness of being able to feed Amy too - aaahhhh!

The whole pressure thing from the government, hv and midwifes is wrong, it's an individual choice and whether you do it for 6 months or 6 days is your choice!

I'll get off my soapbox now!
  • Options
    Can I have the soapbox then please? I totally agree.. we are not stupid and are perfectly capable of deciding for ourselves the best way to feed our lo's. We don't need to have the benefits of bf-ing rammed down our throats.. at t he end of the day formula isn't poison is it! My hubby was the same over feeding.. he was happy when we gave Cole a bottle because he siad it meant he felt like he was doing something for Cole. For some reason doing the baths and nappy changes weren't the same as doing the feeds.
  • Options
    lol - my hubbys the same - likes the easy bits!
    Makes me laugh as he's adamant that he can't smell whats coming from Amy's bum - doesn't want to more like!!!