Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

SNOW!!!

Oh what a shame....I was supposed to be in school today for an INSET...hey ho! lol
But my poor mum n dad are stranded at Manchester ariport til at least 12...they've been there since 5.30 and had a horrible journey to get there.

Replies

• lol! My hubby keeps wishing his school was closed due to the snow! He was back in yesterday for a training day.
    Hope your granny grippers are still ok Ali!! =) x
  • What a shame your parents are stranded... hope they don't have any further delays..... and you must be totally gutted about work Ali! lol

I had to keep Fee off school today as it started snowing and Dave phoned me to say not to even attempt to drive out of the village as the roads hadn't been gritted and cars were just spinning out at the top of the hill. He was worried that even if I did get her to school I might not be able to pick her up again! I feel really pathetic as its not even that much snow but its the ice underneath it that seems to be the problem... didn't feel quite as bad when I realised my neighbours with the landrover didn't go in either!

Liz it is a bit unlikely they would close his school isn't it... I mean it would be shut ALOT wouldn't it?! image)

xx
  • :lol: Yep it would be closed from about mid November to end of March!! image x
  • Im in West Yorkshire and lucky 4 me its my day off as it hasnt stopped snowing for about 5 hours now! It looks lovely out there but it causes too much chaos 4 my liking. Hope everyone wrapped up and keeping warm and safe x x x
  • No snow here yet (Herts) but forecast for tonight....Oakley's Birthday tom, don't think we'll be going to see the tigers and rabbits like he asked! Sledging instead! Keeping my fingers crossed for more Thurs and Fri so I don't have to go to work.
  • we're off too as we can't drive off the street lol. Jay took 2 hours trying to get to work this morning and just got stuck in the middle of road and had to abandon the van lol
  • how rude - we have had snow up here for DAYS - BORED NOW - and had inset yesterday and first day with the kids today and no snow day yet! image don't like it! :lol:
  • Lol Maximum, are you North East?? Mine n hubby's schools shut again tomorrow...my head doesn't want any accidents on his head so that's good enough for me! Chez's school have to think of the kids getting in in taxis...esp those in wheelchairs and special dietary reqs. We're loving being lazy at home!
  • yep we are North East - had a right drama today. Hubbie's school was closed so that was easy enough but he needed to work from home and my school was open (BAH HUMBUG!) so we ummmed and ahhhed about whether I should go as our estate looked leathal and we have a very steep incline with a hairpin bend to get down and up. In the end hubbie dug our cars out and I took max to drop him at nursery having rung school and told them I would be late. I drove down the main road towards max's nursery but looked downt he side roads to get him to nursery and really thought I shouldn't go there but then I did the foolish thing and decided to go for it. Got down to nursery ok if VERY SLOWLY but then could I HELL get back up the VERY sligth incline NO - really shit ing myself by then but luckily a VERY LOVELY handy passerby gave me a push - THANK GOD. continued towards work - WHY???!- before a fellow teacher rang me on the sly and told me half the kids weren't in and really not to go out of my way to get there. So I turned around and tried to get home - could NOT get up the steep incline bend to home just skidded all over - que more shit ing myself image I hate it!!! So hubbie walked down to meet me and we went to collect max - this time we stopped on the main road and walked down to his nursery with our backpack and walked back to the car with him. then hubbie tried to get us up the steep incline bend to home but the same sliding skidding etc so then we went the LONG way and instead came DOWN a steep incline with sharp bend image !

So all in I had been out of the house 4 hours and got NOWHERE. It is still snowing now and evne if my school is open tomorrow if our road is covered int he mornign I AM NOT GOING OUT - in my condition :lol: I should not be risking it and I will never get max down to his nursery anyway!

ok rant over!
  • ok my god charlotte sounds like a right nightmare - put your feet up tomorrow definately and take good care of yourself. xx
    ps bless the lovely teacher that rang you to say not to go in - very nice!

[Modified by: julesy on January 06, 2010 09:43 PM]

• Get yourself some winter tyres! Honestly you won't believe how easy you find driving in the snow after that. We put some on our volvo when we were in the UK before coming out to Norway the first time and it was amazing the difference it made. We ordered them from a place in Cumbria and they were sent to a garage of our choice for fitting. I can get hubby to give the web address if anyone is interested.
    Having a big bag of salt iand a small shovel in the car is a good idea too, if you get stuck you can at least clear the road in front of the tyres.

Otherwise make sure you are driving in a low gear (almost stalling) when you start to get stuck, if the car has nothing to grip on high revs won't help.

It was minus 23 here this morning! x
  • ah no problem for you then with melting snow refreezing as ice then!!!
    we have had about half an inch today and thats been the only snow - we never get it here really and its all gone again already.
    My friend Janita is Norwegian and said its been about -22 i feel quite envious - it used to get to those temperatures in Romania and it never felt as bitter and damp and horrible as it does here in Blighty and it never reaches anywhere near those temperatures! Why is that? its just daft!
  • the thing is that for the frequency it happens here we would never have the winter tyres on when we needed them! :lol:

Was in low gear I promise image and did have a shovel but there wasn't really enough to shovel!

hummmed and arrrhhheedd about whether to try and get to work today (hubbies school still closed and no way max was getting to nursery) but EVENTUALLY I decided not to even though lots of others were going down the hill. I was chewed to bits just thinking about it. We have since walked downt he hill to get the post from the sorting office and there are 15 cars abandoned at the bottom that can't get back up (there were 3 yesterday) and hubbie had to help one woman who had spun off on the way DOWN the hill into a snow bank at the side of the road so I was VERY pleased with my choice!
  • My school is open although i'm off sick so not even worrying about getting in! Can't believe step-daughters school is shut though, most of the primaries are open and the secondaries are shut! Step-sons school is open to local pupils who walk but as we are 3 miles away and he is normally bussed in we haven't taken him, the fact that our road is sheet ice and lethal helped in that decision!
  • Charlie, your journey yesterday sounded like mine on 21.12.09 trying to take kids to my mums so I could use a massage voucher that was running out! Not relaxing at all 2 hrs in the car with brakes not working having to go in 1st and 2nd gear!

WEnt on for INSET on Mon in exchange for having yesterday off (LO Birthday) but then a snow day - boo! But the good news is today is a snow day too! Don't htink it will be toim though. DD1 due to start back at Secondary School today but they are shut til MOn now.
  • Sounds like you made a wise decision not to go in MaxiMum!
    Winter tyres are better in the wet as well as snow etc so they would be a better tyre to have on in the UK from around November to Feb. Hubby and I have both said if we ever move back to the UK we will def have some for whatever car we drive. Over here we have to put them on by law from October until April.

I know what you mean Jules, sometimes the UK can feel a lot colder than over here because it always seems so damp. Hubby said when he got to work yesterday morning it was -28 and his hand stuck to the car when he shut the door!!! Apparantly if it gets to -30 they close the schools over here!!
    We have deer and Moose coming pretty close to the house searching for food at night, we have caught a few glimpses of them and you can also see their footprints in the snow the next morning. They keep coming into our orchard and our neighbours orchard to see if they can find anything under the snow!!

Stay safe in the snow and ice everyone! x
  • What a nightmare some of you have been having... Fee's school was shut again today, as were all the primary and secondary schools in the area - where we live there is wide catchment area and a lot of it is in the countryside - as the gritters don't come through the lanes, and it's pretty hilly I think they thought it was better to keep them closed. It was -7 when Dave went to work this morning and thats cold enough for me thank you!! I'm staying put until I know I can get out of the village without slipping back down again... Poor Tristan is still stuck at my sister's and is bored stupid - made even worse by the fact he has an A level exam next week and all his notes are here!

Liz it all sounds so lovely out there - hope you've taken plenty of pics! We have 3 cars altogether and there is no way we could afford to put winter tyres on them all even if we could get hold of them image
  • Wise decision to stay off Maxi! Half of the kids only come in anyway...usually the ones who live nearest to school!
    It was -12 here last night, supposed to be colder tonight. Think this is the coldest its been since I can remember or care! lol
    Hubby's school shut again tom, think mine's open so charlie will be in but i'm not busting a gut to get him in for 9am!
  • All the schools round here are still shut. My Mum's had to take the week off to look after my sister as normally I'd have her but my Mum doesn't drive to drop her off here and doesn't want me & Rhys trying to get down there. Oh managed to get to work yesterday but they didn't have him out delivering just doing bits inside and my Uncle sent the other driver out in his landrover with smaller deliveries rather than using the vans lol.
    he's had to take a shovel with him to be able to get in and out of the carpark where we live ha ha
  • Fee's school is actually open today - it's the only one in the area but Dave phoned from work and told me not to bother attempting to get her there as he skidded all over the place at the top of the hill.

I hate to think what it's like for all of you in the rest of the country as although its cold and snowy I'm pretty sure it's better here than a lot of places. We still have a couple of inches of snow on the ground outside the house and it looks beautiful across the moors - took some lovely pics as the sun was going down last night - but I'm getting a bit bored of staying in and I'm missing Tristan!

Keep warm ... and all you heavily pregnant ladies - keep your legs crossed for a while!! xx