Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do your lo's eat????

Floyd is 16months now and he loves his food, but lately he wont eat anything healthy, he was breastfed till he was 8 months but i didnt really have much milk for him as he was greedy so he started having fruit and veg at about 4.5months he always loved it and never refused it, when i first gave him food i would make it all myself but then got lazy and gave him jars. when he turned one i tried giving him food that wasnt blended or mashed as he wanted to feed himself and it was easier for him but he avoids eatsing the vegetables or anything healthy and when i try to give it to him he refuses.....his favourate thing to eatt is cheese sandwiches or raviolli which i dont really want him having everyday. i have started mashing his food again but alot of the time ill spend ages making it and he still wont eat it....
He doesnt have chocolate or juice etc so i dont know why he has gone off veg as thats the main thing i give him....

So i was just wondering what your lo's eat or if you have any ideas as to what i can give floyd!!!

xxx

Replies

• Hi,

My lo loves fruit thankfully but can be a bit picky over veg. I have found if I cook something with a garlic butter sauce (usually salmon) and put some of this on the veg that he will eat it. Also if I roast the carrots so they are really nice and sweet he will eat them more readily.

I think they do go through phases so I wouldn't worry too much. Brendan has never liked jars so I have always had to make my own purees but from about 11 months he has been pretty much eating whatever we have.

Another idea for getting veg in is to do a spag bol with plenty of tomatos etc in it. Good luck! x
  • At the moment Charlotte will eat anything with mashed potato so I've made a whole variety of pie type meals - cottage pie, chicken, leek & mushroom pie, turkey pie, pork & apple pie, steak & mushroom... all with mashed potato on top. I add a lot of different veg to each one and then whiz it just slightly. She gobbles it up without noticing all the different things she's eating and I know she's getting a balanced diet.
  • Rhys eats a lot of what we have. He loves things like shephards pie and spag bol so like Liz says I always try to add extra bits of veg into them. On the whole though he is a good eater.
    If u know he'll eat ravioli maybe u cd get the ones with veg in or other fillings then at least u know he's having some variety.
    Cause rhys is into feeding himself too at the min I give him tortellini as it's easy to stab with a fork and he loves it. Has all sorts of diff fillings in it and again u can some veg into the sauce for it too x
  • Yea i agree that shepherds pie/spag bol are good ones as you hide veg in them. Also pies and you can get cheese and veg pies from supermarket.
    How about cheese sauce to cover veg too, Elijah loves that. Sometimes he can be fussy but generally is good with fruit/veg.
    Also you could try making jelly and putting tinned fruit such as tangerines/peaches in before it sets or mixing fruit cocktail in with yogurt. x
    Oh, just remembered a good one is risotto you can do it with a stock cube, some mushrooms etc Elijah loves!
  • Oakley has gone off mince, which is frustrating.

He likes anything with mash as well. Tend to do salmon and veg / cod and veg / roast chick and veg / coq au vin and veg. And then his other meal is a sandwich and fruit or toast and fruit. I know he's getting a balanced diet with the right amount of all the food groups but he too seems to be getting less adventurous and if it's not all mixed together then he can be v fussy about which bits of the meal he'll eat hence we are still on the mix it altogether with a sauce/gravy.

• Well he likes fruit oranges apples and bananas mainly occaisionally he will have grapes, but in the last few days he doesnt seem to want any food apart from yogurt, he ate a sausage the other night. i made him sweet potato, parsnip cauliflower, carrotts and cheese then blended it and he had a couple of mouthfulls then didnt want it but will quite happily have two petit filous ??? he wont have things like rice or pasta because of the texture. I am going to try some of the things you have suggested see if that works

thanks for the insparation image
    xx
    29+3
  • elijah did the yogurt thing a while back, wouldn't touch other things. I wonder if your little one is teething? Could be that, or perhaps a sore throat? Id just try what you can and dont stress too much, just give what he'll eat for a while and see what happens xx