Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

babydevilxxx

Hi Hun,

I hope you don't mind me crashing your forum!
I remember your posts a while back when you were having a c-section, and i think this was because your baby was breech?! Well i've just got back from the midwife and mine is still breech.
I just wondered if you wouldn't mind telling me what they did to try and make baby turn? I really don't want an ECV but not sure if i can refuse one or not? Also when did they tell you that you had to have a section and then when did you get your date for your section? Also is a section as bad as it sounds?

Thank you and i hope you don't mind all the questions! I'm just starting to get a bit worried.

Amy xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey there - I hope you don't mind me crashing your post but thought I might be able to answer a couple of your questions.

We found out our baby had turned in to the breech position 2 days before her due date.
    As it was all so last minute, our options were limited to natural delivery (not really an option due to the risks!), attempt at turning the baby or elective c-section.
    We decided to try and see if they could turn the baby but were told that there was a 50% chance of success and a 50% chance that she could turn back again but I really didn't want to have a c-section so it was worth a try as far as I was concerned.
    Unfortunately my experience of this was not very nice, it was very painful and un-successful, but I know women who it has worked for - so everyone is different.
    As it was so close to my due date, they weren't prepared to wait and see if she might turn on her own again, as they couldn't risk me going in to labour naturally (as it was our first, they didn't know if I would labour quickly or not). So I was booked in for a c-section the very next day which was Xmas Eve!
    I will be honest and say that I was massively disappointed I didn't even experience a contraction or get the natural birth I wanted but it was safest for me and the baby.
    The operation itself was slightly surreal, I had a spinal block and was only aware of a tugging and pulling sensation, Amy was delivered within minutes of the first incision being made. I couldn't see anything being done and my husband was with me throughout. He got to hold her before me, then she was wrapped and snuggled to my face soon after - whilst the surgeon was stitching me back up!
    I went in to theatre at 10.00am and I was back on the ward by 11.30am.
    The pain after was quite intense once the spinal block wore off, but a couple of injections of morphine in my bum soon eased that! I had a catheter for 24 hours after and was in hospital for 4 days.
    I was self administering pain relief and ibuprofen and paracetamol seemed to hit the spot.
    It's now 2 weeks since, I'm still taking it easy and obviously can't drive but I'm not in any pain and the wound is healing nicely.

If you've still got a few weeks till your due date, I would try all the natural remedies you can to try and get the baby to turn. I know that kneeling on all fours and leaning over a birthing ball are 2 options as well as reflexology (or it might be homeopathy), but it's something to do with burning oils (or something) by your ankle and it encourages babies to turn.

Good luck with your birth and I hope your lo turns for you!!
    Rach & Amy
    xxxx
    P.S Sorry for the long, rambling post - I hope it's been of some help!
  • Options
    Heya hun,

I didn't have a c section because of a breach baby so don't know much about that side of things but honestly a c section is nothing to worry about. I know a girl who went to have a c section because of a breach baby, got down to theatre ect and they scanned her to check babys position and it had turned the night before so she didn;t get her section and ended up going 10 days over! So its never too late, it was a great experience and I would do it again,
    My partner and I walked down to theatre and the staff were great theres so many people around you and so much going on that you probably won't even feel them giving you local anestetic, I didn't anyway! Then goes in the spinal and it doesn't hurt and is only mildly uncomfy, they lie you on the table and they are talking to you the whole time making it a relaxed enviroment. The surgeon was asking if I could feel what he was doing to me and I couldn't so he started the operation and again its a strange feeling as if someone is doing the washing up in your tummy!! A few mins later my daughter was born and not long after that I was taken to recovery. From first cut to being stitched up was 32 mins!

Depending on the hospital you can get up and about from 12 to 24hrs later, the sooner the better really. I must admit I wasn't in too much pain and managed well with paracetamol and ibuprofen for the first 2 days then just the odd paracetamol! I discharged myself 2 days after the c section and to be honest I felt really good. Less than a week later I was back to nearly normal with regards doing house work ect he only thing I didn't do was heavy lifting.

Like I say that was 3 weeks ago and I can honestly say I am in no pain, have no loss of sensation and would opt to do it again.

It really is nothing to worry about so don't get yourself upset about it ect. I got booked in for my section about 10 days before it but only because that was when it was decided I was deffo having a c section. If any any doubt though talk to your midwife. Best of luck,

Keep us all updated
    Amy xxx