Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

We're supposed to be at nursery right now.....

But apparently treating him to an ikea breakfast after dropping his daddy off to work was enough for him to demand a nap instead!!!!
Having thought we were on our way to leaving him there he was awful and we lasted all of 5mins lol!
We've been about 4/5 times now and next week is half term, I just don't know at what point I should say enoughs enough and wait until he's older or just perservere even if it takes me a full term!!!! We don't need the nursery which tbh is very much a baby sitting facility but the idea of him making a few friends and being independant away from mummy I know is a good thing!!! Aaaarrrgh!

Replies

• WHat actually happens when you try and leave him? It is pretty typical for them to cry and cling to you when you go to leave for the first few weeks, you would probably find though that once you left he would be totally fine within five minutes and happily playing. xx
  • Yeah, totally normal for them to cry/cling when you leave. Gracie been going one day a week since Jan and she sometimes still cries, but cries everytime I leave her (twice a week) at the childminders! She loves it at both places but loves her mummy even more. I'd say keep taking him, knowing how some chn come into school aged 4!
  • Totally normal to be like that - Cole has been going to nursery 3 days a week since 11 months and we still have days of clingy whinging. Do keep persevering hun, he'll get used to it and will love being in nursery with his friends and you'll appreciate the break

• He's not just clingy- he's hysterical! Once I left and could still hear him panicked halfway down the drive- I didn't leave him then, I went back in and he clung on for dear life. The following time he was playing happily so I snuck off and sat outside - he was fine until he knew I was missing, I left him for a good half hour despite hearing him crying and then the nursery worker suggested I popped in. He was clung to a staff member and miserable, he gave me a hug and was happy to go off and play again but just needed to know where I was.
    I'm just a bit bothered as even the staff said he they were surprised he'd been put down for a place as he was a lot younger than they usually get -mainly 3+
  • I'm not sure if they do this in the UK but over here when you first start your lo at nursery you go with them for the first 3 days. You don't normally stay the full day - with Bren on the first day we stayed a couple of hours and then left. The second day we stayed longer, and the third day I stayed an hour then left him for the rest of the morning and went back after lunch for him. It kind of eases them in a bit more and makes it all more familiar for when they are there on their own. May be worth a try? How old are the other children? If the place itself is too old for him is there anything else nearby that would be better? x
  • Henry started nursery just after Christmas and he only went on a Friday morning and that only lasted 2 months! He is so outgoing and makes friends easily, well, as easily as a 2 year old can! But the first few times he was fine as it was new and fun but every Friday morning became such a drag as he would 90% of the time cry and cling to me and throw himself around once the nursery workers took him. I could hear him crying still when I left and I'd ring hubby really upset for leaving him as we didn't NEED him to go. I persevered with it for a couple of months and in the end I had enough and took him out with the intention of starting him again at playschool nearer to home in September. It's a lot cheaper and I can stay or go each time. As it's a lot cheaper I can afford for him to go 2 or 3 mornings a week which I think will help him settle in more.

I was convinced he'd love nursery at 2 and be so ready but I just don't think he was, so perhaps perservering for a couple more weeks and then if he's no happier take him out and try again in a few months?!

Good luck!

xxx