Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone feeling broody?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone was thinking about trying for another lo, or how many los you are all thinking of having.
A friend of mine over here has just had a little girl, and so I went over to give her a hand for an afternoon and have a few cuddles which was so lovely. Made me feel broody but also reminded me what hard work a newborn can be!
Part of me can't wait until Brendan and Jacob are a bit older and can be a bit more independant, and just generally we can do more stuff with them as I am not the most patient of people and find it hard work just having two full days with them at home. On the other hand I do like the idea of having another one, probably more so if I could guarantee I would have a little girl as it would be nice to even things up a bit. Part of me thinks maybe we should just get on with it and have another lo in the next year or so, but then I know I would probably crack up :lol: so waiting until Bren is about 4 until starting to ttc would be a better option.

Just a bit of a ramble really image wondered what other peoples thoughts were? Also be interesting to hear the thoughts from those of you who have completed your family and aren't planning any more.

xxx

Replies

• I'm not the 2 of them are enough to keep me busy enough for now ha ha, though ask me another 6 months when I'll have 2 brand new nieces/nephews and my answer may be different ha ha.
    I'm not sure if we'll have more. At the minute it's a definate no but we'll see how things are in another 5 years once both boys are at school full time.

I find Rhys so demanding at the minute as he has so much energy and needs so much attention I couldn't possibly imagine having another at the minute lol.
  • Morning

I am TOTALLY broody and that's with an 8 week old in his moses basket next to me and after a really shocking night with said 8 week old!! I would have another RIGHT NOW but I know that's not sensible.

We have always both wanted 3 kids and that's what we have always talked about and aimed at. However, since Jack's birth my hubbie has said a few things indirectly that indicate that he might not want any more (we have not yet had a proper conversation about it) but this is a horrid thought for me. I don't feel my family is complete and I also feel I need to know during my pregnancy that it is my last so I can savour it - does that make any sense???

I had hoped to be ttc in about Feb time when Jack will be 7months as we always said we wanted a smaller gap second time around and timing wise that works quite well for us. I am hoping that hubbie will come around as it is something I really feel I wouldn't be able to compromise on - not the timing but actually having another and I don't want to leave it that much longer either.

I am the opposite to you Liz and actually, although I always thought 2 boys and a girl would be ideal (I have 2 older brothers and then me so thought I wanted the same) now the idea of having a girl kind of terrifies me!

There are some technicalities that would need sorting if we had a third - the main one being the car - although we have a large estate car, car seats are so flaming big and bulky that we probably couldn't fit a third on the back seat and if we had to get a new car it might be a big issue!

anyway another long ramble :lol:
  • oh yeah should have said that I think it is Max that hubbie is struggling with rather than Jack - who is such an easy laid back baby - I think the idea of gettign 3 through toddlerhood fills him with dread!
  • Interesting reading your thoughts ladies!

I know what you mean MaxiMum, although in some ways I am a little nervous about having a 3rd baby if hubby were to say he had changed his mind and didn't want anymore I know I would be upset.

I am glad I had the small age gap between Brendan and Jacob, mainly because I'm not getting any younger so if I want 3 kids I couldn't have a big age gap. I want to have finished having babies by the time I am around 35, just because I don't like the way the risks of things going wrong starts to increase after that age. I'm 32 now so not so far to go to 35!

I am finding Brendan pretty ok to cope with, he does have his moments with paddies but on his own I can deal with that. Jacob is pretty demanding at the moment though, I can remember Brendan was similar at this age as I was at the end of my pregnancy with Jacob and was exhausted! He needs a lot of attention, and has more teeth coming through, and always wants to play with whatever Brendan has! He loves nursery though which is great, and I know within a few months he will be at a much better stage.

Best thing I have found to entertain them with at the moment is face paints!! Brendan loves it! Jacob doesn't have so much patience but sits and giggles while I paint him a black nose and whiskers lol!

Since we bought the VW transporter we have no problems with how many car seats as it is a 9 seater!! Hubby will have to give birth himself though if he wants more than 3 children lol!!! xx
  • We dont have plans for any more at the minute and hubby is sure he only wants the one and i think I only want one but think a part of me wants another Im not sure lol With everything thats gone on in the last few months we are going to take some advice next time I see the consutlant to see what he says. 2 of my friends are expecting in March so I will probably feel different when Im having cuddles witrh a new baby.
  • Obviously I'm super broody ATM but I've always wanted lots and my ideal is 3. Originally the plan was have Angel and then hope tc around a year later. Now obviously everything has changed, I've been pregnant for the last 2years practically and will definitely need the break. Also hubby is now pleading with me to stop after this one as it has been very emotional, stressful and I don't know we could go through all these problems again.
    I'll have to think long and hard and speak to the consultants but ATM I just need to get through this pregnancy. I don't think I'll go on any contraception as I everything took so long before but I won't be actively ttc and be careful of peaks etc.......
    I also agree with you in that im looking fwd to zachariah growing up a bit so can do more but also know i don't want to stop just yet!
  • I didn't want 3 beacuse I'm a middle child and hated it. Also felt 3 was a crowd it was always 2 vs 1.

And said to hubby it would be just 2 (although 1 for him as DD1 is from another relationship). But hubby is 1st of 3 and wants 3. After Oakley was born the thought of not having another made me v sad image Did think of TTC last Nov/Dec and having LO this Aug/Sept as suddenly felt broody and thought how wonderful it would be to have 2 with a small age gap and they could play together but soon came to my senses! LOL. It will be sad having the last one but hopefully it will seem right and our family complete.

I do worry sooooo much about money and space (we have a ??????240k mortgage and the house is a 2 bed victorain terrace converted to a 3 bed with a small garden and no parking - end up parking a couple of hundred metres away which is no fun on a wet day with bags and small children) Plus there is the cost of raising children the papers say ??????180k a life time.....not sure this is true but that's a lot!!! Think of the holidays the bigger house you could have!

But even given all that we plan on TTC next Nov/Dec 2011 for a Sept 2012 baby. A lot of this thinking fits into where Oaks will get into Nursery (where I work and the c/m can take him) and the school he is likely to get (around the corner but c/m can't take so need to sort new childcare me being on mat leave would give me time to look into options)

Then when i have weeks like I have just had hubby being called into work at all hours, working late Nanna off on hols and no childcare last fri as Daddy was supposed to be on a rest day - I think am I mad. Esp with a sports mad daughter where on a Sat we will have to travel up and down the counrty for Basketball / Athletics and then up to 2hrs on a Sunday for football. But I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work out for the best, that they'll appricate all we have done for them and pay for a good reitirement home for us!!!:lol:
  • So funny that you wrote this because on thursday morning I was walking to school and it was my day off so I had a day with lo and it popped into my head wouldn't if be nice to have another one. You all know my feelings on this so my subconscious immediately screamed back Nnoooo! But life was obviously good on that day to think I could ever even contemplate managing with another one!! I agree with MM too a girl now after 2 boys would be toooo scary!
    Seriously though our work life balance is rubish and our financial situation is also rubish although my taking on a second job has helped a bit but to think about another baby is a nice thought but that's all it would ever be we' re constantly exhausted too. I know what you mean about the age thing I'm 36 and oh is 42 but we didn't meet each other get married and settled down til later on in life. I definately would have chosen to have kids when I was younger though - have more time to claw back a life after they've left home rather than just a future of retirement on no money !!!!
  • well i can answer that very easily................NO I CANNOT COPE WITH ANY MORE - I AM STILL WAITING ON GETTING SOME SLEEP 10MONTHS ON AND STILL LIKE A BLOODY NEWBORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also quite like knowing now that we can now make the house what we need for us 4... start thinking ahead a bit and hopefully get our monies sorted and maybe plan a holiday away prob wont be till end of next year! would like a girl bhut i really think i would have another boy and i couldnt cope with that - love my 2 boys and i am going to be godmother to my best friends little girl!!!

• I am broody, but too sensible to act on it! lol.
    I think if we didnt have SS we would have had another already, but even with just the 2 of them here it can be total mayhem! We had planned to ttc at the end of this year but im not working permanantly yet and we have not got enough money to live on as it is (and having to move coz of that) so I cant really see us having another until our money is better for a time image xx
  • Nope!!!

I was very broody when B was little, and I cried my eyes out when hubby had the snip ... but with everything going on with B at the mo it's just as well we didn't have another one!! Not only that, I'll be 40 in a couple of weeks (eek) and hubby is 45, and neither of us would have the energy to go through having a newborn again - between us we have 6 children so I think we've helped the worlds population enough!!

Good luck to all of you who are pregnant, ttc or thinking about it - I don't think any time is ever 'perfect' and as for the cost of bringing one up - only ??????180k??!! lol xx
  • All the time...........
    NOT!!!!
    I think you know you don't want anymore when you can look at a newborn and think, 'they're cute, but I don't want one'!!!
    Far too much on my plate with 3 kiddywinks, a cat, a puppy and a hubby!
    Good luck to all those with plans though. I like a good plan lol.