Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it his teeth or is it cause we started weening?

Hello everyone. Hope someone can help.

My lo is 4 months old (born 22/12/07). He has been doing some mild tething for a fair few weeks, but on Saturday it all seemed to step up a few gears. He woke really grumpy (he is usually full of smiles) and was grizzly on and off shoving his hand in his mouth and shouting at it, every now and then would suddenly burst into unconsolable crying (never normally like this). Had some Calpol witch seemed to settle him. We had the same scenario sun, mon and tues.
Saturday was also the day we started him with some baby rice, which went down really well. Continued with rice once a day then tried some carrot on tues, also went down ok.
Yesterday he woke up screaming and had a temp and was unwell all day. Temp on and off, constantly crying and wanting to be cuddled. Also had huge episode of very watery diarrhoea in the afternoon (which he some how managed to cover me in! We both had to get in the bath!). Temp and crying got worse after this, took forever to get him settled.
Put his symptoms in NHS direct website and it said I may have tried to wean him too soon. What do you all think? I was convinced it was his teeth, but now not too sure. He seems alot better so far thismorning, very mild temp (more calpol), but much more cheerful.

Really confused now, should I give him rice today or should I leave it for a while? Also quite worried now as all your little ones seem to be same age and getting on really well with food.

Any help will be gratefull received. x

Replies

• Don't think he'd be affected that badly by food but you never know! Ds1 was 15 wk old when weaned and was fine but every baby is different. Perhaps it was the carrots? Try just rice for a week or 2 if he seems ok on that then intro veg again.
    He's older than 17 week so it's not really early (5 yrs ago that was the guideline age 4 mth, to wean them anyway!).
    He could've just caught a bug and with teething too it seems worse. Keep an eye on his temp but I'd say just give baby rice till he gets more used to it.
    Hope he's better soon x
  • Hi, both my first 2 were weaned at 14 weeks!! With this lo I waited till 17 weeks. All babies are different, but my lo is showing very similar symptoms and we are putting down to his teeth - crying and dribbling and when we are feeding, once he has had enough he chomps on the spoon and won't let go. His temp is up and we are giving him calpol. All babies teeth differently too - some have no problem and others have a really bad time of it. Not actually being any help am I! But good luck.
  • Philip is doing the same over the last couple of days and being a so and so about having a bottle which i've put down to teething. He is 18wks and i haven't started weaning yet at all, as, touch wood, he is still sleeping through the night and not looking for more after he has finished his bottle
  • Cole is being the same lately and I'm sure its mostly his teeth bothering him. If I catch him shoving his hand in his mouth a lot I stick dentinox on his gums and it seems to help.

I just noticed that your lo shares a birthday with Cole image

You could always stop the food for a little while and then restart it if you think it may be causing a problem - Cole had a bout of bad eczema after we started weaning him (it had been there before but got worse) and I just stopped the rice for a few days just in case.

Obi - do you think Philip is maybe ready for the next size bottle teat? COle is being a sod about having his bottle even when he should be hungry and then he's often not finishing the bottle. Today he's only completely drained one bottle and had about half of the other 4 and he's only having a small amount of porridge so its not filling him up. I've just bene and bought some stage 3 teats to see how he gets on with them
  • Thanks for the replies. The temp has gone and no more diarrhoea, but now has a cough and cold instead! so he is still grumpy which is very unlike him. I have persevered with the rice though and have now moved onto cow & gate baby breakfast apple and pear flavour which he scoffed.
    I have also noticed that he is fussing over his milk. He usually necks 8-9 oz but has started to leave some. I'm convinced it is his teeth though as we are already on stage 3 teats.