Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

a bit sick of everyone elses opinions - 2nd child due!

Well, we are due our second bubs in just over 3 weeks and our first Max is 2.5 yrs old. He's pretty good generally but is a usual 2.5yr old so has some tantrums and can be a cheeky beggar! He sleeps very well at night and is fully potty trained. I am under no illiusions that this is going to be a massive upheaval for him and we may have some jealous/behaviour difficulties for a while.

However, I am a bit sick of everyone else telling us how it is gonna be when no 2 arrives. Everyone seems to think they know our ways and our child better than we do!

Comments ranging from:
'oh he's going to be fine, he'll be an angel and help you with everything' YEAH RIGHT WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID I wouldn't expect any child to be like this!
'he'll totally regress with his toileting when new one arrives - I don't know why you bothered training him now' - ok he may regress a bit or have more accidents but I am accepting of that and is it really the end of the road!
'why are you trying to train him on a more reasonable time to get out of bed, once no2 is here he'll be getting up at all times when you are feeding' UMMMMMMM no he won't because he needs his sleep, he won't even know I am up feeding and he needs to KNOW that night is for sleeping.

The list goes on - I am well aware this is not goign to be plain sailing and we may well have difficult reactions and things to deal with but why does everyone think they KNOW exactly how it's going to be and that they know better than us????

Replies

• I think when you have children people just see it as a license for it to be ok to comment on your life and it can be really annoying so I know where you are coming from.
    My MIL didn't even say congratulations when we called to say we were pregnant with Jacob, just started saying what hard work it was going to be etc.

It can be hard to just ignore the comments and smile them off but there isn't a huge amount more you can do. At one point when my mil made a comment I pointed out that Jacob was planned and so we had well thought out the potential pros and cons.

On the sleep front I don't rememeber Jacob disturbing Brendan as a newborn. It is surprising what they sleep through really, even now they are sharing a room the problem is more getting them to sleep in the first place. Once asleep Brendan very rarely wakes up when Jacob cries unless he isn't feeling too well.

Hope you're doing ok anyway and not feeling too stressed, not long to go now - how exciting!!! x
  • Although im obviously not getting the 2nd child comments i do understand how bloody annoying it is having people stick their nose in and keep giving opinions!!
    I have tried to just smile and nod like Liz says, and then go home and moan about people lol. They can be really annoying, especially thinking they know whats best, like telling you you shouldnt bother teaching Max when the right time to get up is! How ridiculous!
    My mum & MIL often say really annoying things, my mum seems to think she knows how to do everything better. I have to remind myself she is only trying to help just in the wrong way. I try and block it out as just because she's my mum, doesnt mean she does it right! x
  • I think form the moment your pregnant (or from the moment everyone thinks you should be) opinions are freely pushed upon you with no shame from the offender!
    Drives me mad but then I'm getting pretty blunt with comments I don't appreciate and tbh given my history people do t dare say the wrong thing so, so far- so peaceful
  • This was the thing that bothered me the most when pregnant and Im sure it you went back through this forum you would find so many posts with me having a HUGE rant! Im afraid I couldn't keep my mouth shut and smile so I did answer back most of the time! DO IT you're fee better for it!:lol:
  • Some ppl talk balls!
    Charlie didn't regress when we had Alfie, nor Alfie when we had Gracie! They certainly never woke during the night when the baby cried either! Max will be how Max will be. Charlie and Alfie both behaved so differently to their new siblings (Charlie was a pain in the rear, Alfie was an angel!) so you can't say at all. Just be prepared for some upheaval and then if nothing happens, you have over-prepared yourself!
    Oh and good luck! lol
  • thanks all ladies! I agree it's all balls and I try and just ignore it but it's just too bloody irritating for words! Hey ho :lol: