Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

A wee update

Hiya everyone,

I thought I would post a wee update from me, as some of you know we moved house about 5 weeks ago and got married last week so life seemed pretty peachy for us. However my hubby then got made redundant on Sunday meaning we are having to move back to the UK to stay at his mums until he can get a job sorted and find somewhere to live. We have my dad coming over tomorrow to help us move and will be back in the UK by Thursday. Everything is happening so fast and we are devistated, we had made a good life for ourselves over here but I guess it just wasnt ment to be. Will you please not mention it on facebook as we havent even told half of our familys yet in the hope that Darren gets a job in the next week or 2.

Replies

• Awww, I am so sorry to hear this! Had they given any warning at all that redundancy may be on the cards? Have they looked into any other possible roles he could be moved into?

I will keep everything crossed that something fantastic turns up soon for you, you must be totally fed up of packing boxes bless you.

Take it easy hun xx
  • Thats the worst bit about it all is they had a meeting about 8-10wks ago to tell them not to worry their jobs were safe and then about 3 weeks ago they were told there would be NO job cuts but some people might have to relocate to which we said we were happy with and then his boss text him and asked him if he was in the country (darren was on holiday for the wedding) so darren called his boss and he said it was nothing to worry about his probation period was up and would he go in on Sunday to sign the new contract and when he got there there was someone from personelle there and he got "let go" so it was really a shock to us.
    They havent tried to help at all and are blaming the Irish government because they are making taxes higher for planes and passangers landing at Dublin but they havent tried to find him a job at another station even though other stations are recruiting. I didnt think they could do that but then again Irish lawy is ****** up!
  • That is totally rubbish!

I'm not sure if there are any differences in Irish employment law but I would have thought it was very similar to the UK. If he was on a permanent contract they can only end his probationary period because he isn't doing the job properly, conduct at work, if he lied about a qualification, and a few other reasons most of which would have to have been discussed with him first so he had a chance to improve, but not because the job doesn't exist anymore. They would have to go through the redundancy process for that and have him in for a meeting to discuss it, why he has been selected, and also they have to consider any other positions for him within the company even if that may involve some retraining.

If other sites are recruiting and there are positions Darren would be interested in taking then I would recommend he goes back to them and says he wants to be considered for those positions. Have a check through his contract and see what it says about his probationary period and if it says anything about redundancy. If it doesn't the company should provide him with a copy of their policies for both.

I would give ACAS a call for more up to date advice as I have been out of HR for 2 years now (eek!) so there may be other stuff that is useful for you to know too. Their UK number is 08457 47 47 47.

Good luck hun xxx
  • So sorry to hear that Amy - especially as you've had such a wonderful time (and you looked lovely on your wedding day btw).

I would take Liz's advice (she knows what she's taking about - even being heavily pregnant and with a toddler on the loose - and its before midday - how the hell do you do it Liz???). It definitely sounds like they've not been playing by the rules.

I hope you can get something sorted asap.

Big hugs and good luck xxx
  • Amy,

After things were all going so well! I just can't believe it. Just wanted to say BIG hugs from us too.

• Oh honey, this is horrible for you im so sorry. *Big hugs* Excellent advice from Liz as always. Take care xxxxxxxxx
  • Oh Amy, that's really not what you wanted straight after your wedding. Inconsiderate b's. I hope you get some answers from ACAS (Liz, can you sort out whinging teachers too?! Not me, moaning, work-shy colleagues! lol)
    I hope they can sort him a new job out soon. Big hugs x
  • How stressful for you!!! But you never know it may be a positive thing in the long run but soooooooooooo sorry it is so hard at the moment!!!
  • Well thats us back in Scotland, we packed the house up and moved in 4 days!! Got to Scotland on thursday and have managed to get all our things into storage, it was heartbreaking watching Holly when her toys were being packed away. She isn't settling at all at Darrens mums and is up most of the night crying and wanting comfort, Im not really sure the best way to reassure her. She has some sort of seperation anxiety and screams the second I leave her, I have my hv calling me today to give me some advice on the best way to deal with it. I just think its all too much for her, watching the house being packed up twice in 2 months and then being at her gran and granpa's with them not being here ect.
    On a plus note Darren has an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed for him. Thanks for all the support, its really appreciated. xxx
  • 4 days! That has to be some kind of record, you must be shattered! Poor Holly, fingers crossed she settles down in a day or so, as you say there has been a lot of change very suddenly and she is probably picking up on how stressed you are.

Keeping everything crossed for Darrens interview tomorrow! xxx
  • 4 days - I'm worried about moving in 4 weeks!

Poor Holly it must all be too much for her. I hope your hv can give you some good advice.

Good luck for Darren's interview... hope it all goes his way.

Big hugs xx
  • Ah bless, really hope you all settle down quickly. Must have been so hard for you all image Elijah was really unsettled for quite a while when we moved in with inlaws, i would say the best thing is a tight routine and tell her about whats going on all the time even if she doesnt understand xx
  • Oh I'm soo sorry what an awful way to be dealt with and I really hope that liz is onto something with the way he's been treated. Good luck to him for the interview I really hope it goes well fir you. As crafty said it may well work out to be a brilliant change for you all. As for holly it is no doubt feeling the stress vibes and unsettled, I would just be there with her while things are so busy and shell soon settle down. I know it's not the same but whenever I take zachariah anywhere different it always takes him a few days to adjust and feel independant again. Take care and try your best to turn it into something positive x
  • I hope all's more settled now and you can get back on with life stress-free soon. What an eventful month for you.
    Gracie's also having separation issues, very clingy and wakin during night. I went back full time two weeks ago but I also put it down to being in the caravan over Easter...she sleeps at the bottom of our bed so became used to it.
    Hope some good news comes your way really soon x
  • Hi.. How did the interview go?

How's Holly now? I hope you are managing to get some time to yourself and that she has settled down a bit. x

Ali - hope Gracie starts to cope better asap x
  • Hiya,
    Thanks for asking after us, we contacted acas about him being made redundant and they can do it and advertise for more staff because basically its only ryanair in Dublin that are employed by ryanair all the other stations staff are employed by agencys. meaning it saves Mr O Riley tons of money.
    Anyway Darren got offered the job at prestwick but it was less than half the wages he was on in Dublin and no way would we have been able to live off it. He has another interview on Thursday in Standstead but if it isnt very good money (they wont tell u till the interview) or if he doesnt get offered it he is going to have to rejoin the RAF. In many ways it would solve our problems, he would be in unifrom by the end of the month, we would have a house ect ect ect but then he would have to go to Afgan and possibly Iraq so thats not good!
    Holly is still really unsettled, she is doing better through the day and will let me leave the room again now but night time is a different story, its about 9pm before we get her settled and then she is up through the night and if Im not there just screams and sobs, so most often I end up sleeping in the room with her. Then she is up at 5am so Im knackered lol
    On a plus note though Darrens parents get back from their cruise on Wed so at least we will have a bit of help and support!
    Ali I hope Gracie starts to get out the habit soon as it is sooo tiring!! xxx
  • That is so sly of them! I will keep my fingers crossed that something else comes up that pays enough for him to take. My bil is in the royal marines so I know how stressful it can be not knowing when or where they are going to get posted next. Is there anyway he could take a job in the RAF that would mean he didn't have to go away? I know my bil was looking into being a trainer or something as he has had enough of going to places like Iraq and Afghan etc, particularly now they have a little boy. It is an attractive package they offer though and the military do tend to look after people so I can understand the temptation.

You must be due some massive good luck anyway so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it comes along soon! xxx
  • Very sly...bleeding big-wigs.
    Gracie's been as clingy as ever today. Late night, early morning, really tired and just couldn't cope with me not being in same room once we got home from the van. I'm off to bed very soon!
    Hope Holly settles soon, it is very tiring! x
  • Oh sweetie - thats all sooo rubbish and i cannot believe you got packed up and moved back to scotland in 4 days i honestly wouldnt have thought it could have been done!!! you must be shattered if holly isnt settled at night - hopefully as your mil and fil sound nice they could help in day and let you have a nap to catch on sleep!!!!

xxxx
  • Well things are going from bad to worse really! My nanna took a tummy bug and ended up really dehydrated and with an irregular and irratic heart beat so is currently in high dependeny! We took a 4 hour trip up there to see her but they wouldnt let Holly in to see her so she was heart broken! Im planning on going up next week when she is hopefuly going to be out of hospital.
    Darren has his interview tomorrow so a lot is riding on it. Please send us good luck vibes lol xxx