Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

egg allergy re MMR

Hi everyone - how you all doing? I don't get much chance to get on here much but I have a hospital appointment for Noah's MMr on thursday. it would be really helpful to know if anyone's lo had this or if anyones a nurse/dr? (I know we got lots of teachers!)

It was mentioned he might have to stay in for observation in case he had a delayed reaction and i wondered how long it was likely to be. I need to be back for work and so if its a couple of hours it will be no problem but if its longer i'll have to book the time off.

thanks.

Replies

• Options
    Sorry, no help at all Jules - I would phone the hospital (if you can get through to Derriford!!) or your hv and see if they can tell you straight. Hope he gets on ok and you don't have to stay in at all x
  • Options
    Hi,

Don't think I can be much help but Bren had his MMR jab on the 6th April as they give them at 15 months over here. We had to stay at the health station with him for 20 mins after his jab, although we always have to do this with all the jabs he has had in case of an initial reaction. The hv said that with the MMR it can be two or three weeks before any reaction occurs and that it is common to see mild symptoms of the illnesses like a slight rash, but that if he got a high temp and the symptoms seemed aggressive to get him checked out straight away.
    A few days after having the jab Bren did get a slight rash which lasted about 24hrs and then very slight swelling around his jaw line but that went pretty quickly too. He didn't get a temp or anything and has been totally fine.

No egg allergy though so can't comment on that one, maybe give them a call to get an idea of how long they will need to keep you there for?

Fingers crossed it all goes well anyway x
  • Options
    Hope it goes smoothly. We've not got any egg allergies, but Gracie wasn't affected at all by her jab, just on and off (and I mean about 3 single times over 2 weeks) did she have a raised temp which was cleared with nurofen. She was also 15mth due to being ill every time I wanted to take her!
    Let us know how you get on x
  • Options
    Hi i am not a mum (yet) but i am a HV nurse and immunise children regularly so i saw this and thought i would post...

With MMR its common for babies to develop a rash or slight temperature about 7-10 days after the vaccine rather than straight away (however this isnt the case for all children) and also havin an egg allergy doesnt necessarily increase the risk its just that we would take extra precautions. A reaction is unlikely and would probably happen straight away so i think its likely your son will be fine and you could go back to work but if i was you i would book the time off anyway (unless someone you know at home looking after him) just to be on the safe side and keep an eye on him incase there was any delayed reactions.

Hope that makes some sort of sense?

Lx
  • Options
    Thanks L, another nurse posted on baby and said its normal for them to be kept in for about 2 hours so i should be able to go into work but i will definately forewarn them because they are pretty flexible.
    LOL Emma - not just me that can never get through to derriford then!
    Liz - 2 - 3 weeks - I hope they don't keep him in THAT long !!
    Thanks Ali and yes I will let you all know how it goes!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say good luck, hope all goes well and Noah is fine x
  • Options
    Thanks! yes all went well. We arrived and they checked his height and weight, then we had to wait quite a while to see the dr. he asked loads of questions and gave Noah a really good check. He said he' looks a really healthy boy! and then we had to wait to see the nurse for a skin test. Then we had to wait 15 minutes for it to react but by then the dr was busy again so we had to wait a bit longer! Noah did react so he does have an egg allergy (the dr said its quite common but sometimes they can grow out of it - sometimes by the time they're one and some times when they are a bit older.
    Then after we'd seen the dr again we had to wait to see the nurse to have the MMR which we had and then had to wait half an hour to see if there was any reaction. fortunately there wasn't anything and he seems fine. The dr said if he was going to react it would be pretty immediate.
    Anyway so all is well and I'm just relieved that we finally got his MMR done.
  • Options
    Sounds like lots of waiting around but I am glad it went well, must be a weight off your mind! x
  • Options
    Mia still hasnt had her MMR,!!
    she was ill when she was due to have it constantly for a couple of months! and now with new baby arriving i havent wanted to do it incase she's ill from it! but as it turns out, her cold is back... so we will just have to wait abit longer!!! xx
  • Options
    Glad all went well with his jab x
  • Options
    Glad it went ok Jules - sounds like a day I've had at Derriford before! x
  • Options
    LOL! it wasn't so bad we were there for 2 and a half hours overall and a lot of that was actually seeing someone and noah was good as gold bless him. he did eat about 20 breadsticks but was really well behaved and when he got tired just sat/lay down with his dummy and bunny.
    derriford can be a nightmare. parking was a nightmare as usual! was bryn born in derriford? i can't remember when his dob is? maybe we were there together and we wouldn't have known!
  • Options
    I'm glad all went well. What a good boy for being so patient (i'm terrible at the docs, hate being there with ill people sitting there lol). Breadsticks are the best!