Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Clever boy Bren!

Hi,

Well, after me saying on the potty training thread that I didn't think Brendan was ready yet he seems to have decided that he is! For the last couple of nights he has asked to sit on the toilet before his bath, he would sit for about 5 minutes and look at a book but would then start to get fascinated with putting toilet paper in the loo and not actially do a wee or anything. Tonight the same thing happened, so after a bit I said 'never mind' we can try again later if you need a wee and put him in the bath. Then after he was bathed, had his milk and bedtime story he said 'poo poo mummy', so I asked if he wanted to the loo and he nodded. I was pretty convinced this was just an excuse to not go to bed but thought I better humour him and put him on the loo with his book. He messed about for a bit (climbing on and off with the little stool we have got him!) and kept saying 'bye bye' when I went to check on him but then he shouted and I found him trying to flush the loo after doing a poo in the toilet!!! image I was so surprised!!! He knew he had done a very grown up thing as he looked so pleased with himself! Hubby and I (and Jacob as he has just learnt how!) gave Bren a clap and he got a biscuit as a treat. He wasn't too happy about having his nappy put back on for bedtime, but was finally convinced it was a good idea!

So not sure if it was a total one off or if this is him ready to start more serious toilet training. I've told hubby to let the nursery know tomorrow when he drops him off just incase he asks to go to the toilet when he is there.I think I will see how interested he is tomorrow night before stopping with his nappies.
Fingers firmly crossed that this is the start of a very easy nappy training exercise but I have probably just jinxed things!

Also, apparantly at nursery today Brendan picked up a magnetic letter D and said 'd, daddy'! All this reading to him may just be paying off. His english and norwegian are coming along so well, he apparantly uses both at nursery and understands everything that they say to him in norwegian which is great.

Very proud of my little man! image

Replies

• Well done Bren! So sweet when they say bye bye to their poo! Sounds like he is ready now, we found a sticker chart really encouraged Philip, he got a treat for 5 stars, just a couple of buttons or sweets but to him they were a big deal! When he filled a chart of 50 stickers he got a "big treat" which was a dip in the bag of little toys that i bought in the sales for ??1 each from tesco!

Philip won't wear nappies at night but does weat huggies pull up nighttime things as he is not 100% dry at night yet but is doing well, has a wee about 11.30pm (half asleep sat on the toilet!) and is generally still dry at 7.00am when we get up.

Totally believe that lots of reading to them pays off, i'm sure others will agree that you can usually tell which children have had storied read and which haven't and it's obvious in how they look after books in later life too!

Well done to Bren, he will be a great role model for Jacob xx
  • Ah thats so great Liz, well done big boy Brendan!! Hope its the start of easy potty training, but even if its a one off at least he is interested and knows how clever he was so hopefully that will encourage him anyway.

Reading is great, Elijah loves it. Ive made a few flash cards recently and put them onto pictures which are on the wall or objects. So he now recognises 'mum' 'dad' 'bin' and 'door' im amazed at how quickly they pick these things up!! xxx
  • Wow that's so good. Oakley is using his potty to do wees. We've been at it a week all be it with a few trips with a nappy on. Today he has done 6 wees on the potty, one little one on the floor and a BIG one in his highchair. Hope we are getting there. I know some people say leave it til later til they're nearly 3yr and then they'll do it in a day or 2. But personally I think they get it in a day or 2 because they could have probably done it months ago. Poos are going to be tricky I think. He gets 1 sticker for a wee each time and I've said he can have 2 for a poo! Don't know if he will master it by term time we might end up going back to nappies but I'm glad I've given it a go and fingers crossed he's getting the 'feeling' and is nearly there.

• Thanks everyone!
    Have you seen the stickers you can get that you stick in the bottom of the potty that go from black to a smiley face when your lo wees on them? I was looking for a reward chart and stickers for Bren on amazon and came across them. The reviews for them are good, think I would get some if we were using the potty but at the moment we are sticking with the loo as we live on one level so not far to go to get him to the toilet.

Bluey - good idea with the flashcards I will have to try it! x
  • Clever boy Bren! After me saying Holly wasnt ready she has now been out of nappys for about 5-6 days and is doing really well she still wears one to bed.
    Liz those stickers sound great!
    Bluey flash cards sound like a great idea, where did you get them from? xxx
  • Stickers do sound a good idea.
    We also do a sticker chart with Elijah for things that he makes a fuss about, like bum change, bathtime, going to sleep, brushing teeth etc! This has really worked well with him.

Holly- you can get flashcards from ELC, ive already got some of those, you can get a basic pack (like mum, dad, cat, door etc) and then others that have the weather and stuff on. But you can always make some, ive done this aswell. Just use card and write the words on then bluetack them up xx
  • oh god you all put me to shame as havent done anything with finlay - i think i should perhaps just put his pants on and then he is bound to wee - be wet and them may realise that he needed a wee etc etc... he know pooing as always goes in the hall and shuts the door, will not let anyone in until finished so perhaps potty should go in there!

did you find a good reward chart? only one i found was very dull and borning - the grils versions are way nicer!

x

• Yay, go Bren! How's he doing now? Still 'producing' in the right place?! lol
    Gracie did her first wee on the potty at the cms today, been ready these last two wk but we've been away so difficult.
    Well done all the los training or trained!
  • I hope it's still working for you???

We are still not going there! :lol:
  • I've not been pushing him too hard yet as I don't want to go for it seriously until the end of May when we have a bank holiday weekend so he has a clear 5 days to get the hang of it before nursery. We are putting him on the loo before a bath, he is telling me know when he has done a poo and wants changing, and if I see he is going in the corner I offer to take him to the loo - most times he says no though!
    I'm worried about starting properly to be honest as now Jacob is crawling and cruising around everywhere I just know he will be straight at the puddles of wee (or worse!) so I really want a few days with hubby around to help grab him!
    I would start him at the first bank holiday we have in May but the MIL is coming over so I just know it would end up being a total nightmare! I'm keeping my fingers crossed some more volcanic ash comes along lol!! x
  • He he about the ash! Hope MIL isn't with you for too long.