Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thoughts on leaving lo for more than a night?!

I'm thinking about taking hubby to Paris for his bday in December but I'm a bit worried about leaving lo for 2 nights?!

We've left him about 5 times for the night but most of those occassions we still put him to bed we just weren't there in the morning, or we didn't put him to bed but were there in the morning. Henry is a little bit more clingy at the moment but only when he's tired etc so not sure how he'll be when he's nearly 1!!!

Has anyone else left their lo for more than a night, I really don't want to be a bad mummy and palm him off to grandma's but I do spend all day everyday with him so thinking it would do us both good? Or might be more difficult to leave him for 2 whole days.

The other option is taking him with us but I think we will get very stressed and wont be able to go out for dinner as it will be too late!

Opinions needed please!!!!
xxx

[Modified by: EmilyandHenry on 22 September 2008 12:28:34 ]

Replies

• I would go for it!!! 2 nights isn't very long at all and Im sure Henrys grandma would be DELIGHTED to look after him and have her grandson all to herself for a couple of days. I also think it would do you and your hubby good to have some time alone together so my opinion is to go for it and have a lovely time xxx
  • I haven't even left Cole for 1 night yet although I have said my parents can have him for a night when they are back off holiday. I'm not keen on leaving him but I think we do need a break and lie in and hubby needs some study time.

Sounds like it'd make a better break if you did leave him - but could you try leaving him for 24 hours a couple of times before then just so you can see how he gets on?
  • I think I'm just being pathetic as I keep thinking about when I was little and how much I used to miss my mum!!

I think I might have a bit of a think about it and perhaps book nearer the time to see how he is over the next month!!

Kia, you wont know what's hit you when you don't get woken up!!!! Bet you're looking forward to a night off!! Although it's more the morning that's the luxury!!

xxx
  • I'm the same as Kia, we haven't left Brendan even overnight yet with anyone and only had about 4 nights out since he was born as we don't really have anyone to babysit out here so it is only when we are back in the UK at my mums we get to go out.

I am far too clingy with Bren rather than the other way round lol! I think he would probably be fine overnight with my mum and I know she would love it but I think I would miss him terribly!

I'm having a dilemna about whether I could go to the UK with lo without hubby to see my Dad as he really isn't well at the moment. I know hubby would hate it as he would miss Bren so much so I feel mean even suggesting it. :roll:

In your situation though I would probably say go for it, as someone else said maybe have a practice run nearer to the time so you know what to expect, but by the time they are nearly one they will probably be very happy as long as they have someone to entertain them! x
  • I would also say go for it! And I think when they're younger it's better than when they're slightly older...like a toddler's age as they can speak then!
    Saying that we've never left any of ours for longer than a night...the occasion's never arisen where we've had to make the choice!
    He'll be well looked after and you'll enjoy your time away (probably talking lots about him!).
    Hubby's best man in 2010 in California so we'll have to think about whether we're gonna go for a family holiday (cost wise!) or go just for the wedding weekend. I know I'd feel bad about leaving them, esp as they've been asked to be page boys and flower girl if they go! Better start saving then.....!!!
    Liz and Kia, if you get the chance, take it! The more you have the harder it is to have a night off!
    And Liz, if you feel confident in travelling back with Bren on your own, then do it. Don't worry about hubby, he can look after himself and you sound like you need to see your dad. Hope he's not in too much pain/discomfort.
  • I would also say go for it! And I think when they're younger it's better than when they're slightly older...like a toddler's age as they can speak then!
    Saying that we've never left any of ours for longer than a night...the occasion's never arisen where we've had to make the choice!
    He'll be well looked after and you'll enjoy your time away (probably talking lots about him!).
    Hubby's best man in 2010 in California so we'll have to think about whether we're gonna go for a family holiday (cost wise!) or go just for the wedding weekend. I know I'd feel bad about leaving them, esp as they've been asked to be page boys and flower girl if they go! Better start saving then.....!!!
    Liz and Kia, if you get the chance, take it! The more you have the harder it is to have a night off!
    And Liz, if you feel confident in travelling back with Bren on your own, then do it. Don't worry about hubby, he can look after himself and you sound like you need to see your dad. Hope he's not in too much pain/discomfort.
  • Oh I'm looking forward to the lie in. I'll probably wake every 2 hours wondering how he's doing though! lol!

Shame parents are on holiday for 2 weeks though, I could do with a lie in now!
  • well i've not left zachariah for a night yet either, or a few hours even. i'm like liz i think (i'm the clingy one teehee!) however i htink if you're happy to do it then go for it, are your parents close enough for them to come over occasionally and try to put him to bed with you hovering around outside or something. i'm sure if he got used to other people putting him to bed it wouldn't be a problem.

liz i would go for it, it will be hard for hubby but if your father is ill you really need to go and see him while you can rather than hold anyhting against hubby in future. you could make him a little photo album or something while youre away and as you have access to internet perhaps you could invest in some web cams so at least he could see him if you phoned through pc instead of land line. i have left my hubby several times (they may be very different characters) but although he's missed him i do think he secretly enjoys to have some free time and lie ins etc