Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

2yr Check

Dude finally had his 2yr check today, 3rd attempt, although only got it as I requested it otherwise would have to wait till he is 3 for it!

He did really well, helped that the HV was really nice and seemed to know what she was talking about, turns out she has a 3yr old boy herself so probably does (more so than some of them!)

DId all sorts of things with him and asked us lots of questions to fill her form in, she has said he is a year ahead in locomotor skills, 6 months ahead in manipulative, hearing & language, speech & language and interactive social skills and bang on with visual and self-care skills. I learnt a few things today that he can do that i never realised he could! When i try to get him to build a tower at home we manage 5 blocks max, he did 10 for her without being asked or shown what to do! Not so sure about the "just pop him in pants, it's the quickest way to learn" approach to toilet training though! Although i've got a carpet shampooer and plenty of pants so am just going to go for it Feb half term, unfinished assignments permitting!

One worrying thing though is how he walks, i wasn't that bothered and almost flippantly mentioned that he walks on his toes a lot, more noticeable when barefoot. She has spoken to the physio team who want to see him to check his muscles. I bought up at his 1 year check that i was worried about his one foot as it seemed to turn in and they think it may be related so got to wait for an appointment to see them now.

She seemed surprised that I wanted to see them as I had no major concerns like sleep, eating etc but the way i see it I think he's doing ok, would like someone to tell me that he's doing ok!

Replies

• Options
    Well done Phillip! What a clever boy! Brendan hasn't had his yet, I have been waiting for a letter to arrive with an appointment but not seen anything. I have an appointment on the 9th Feb for Jacob so I will ask her then if I can make one for Brendan.

There is no way Brendan could do that well with the block building, he is way to tempted to knock them down lol! He loves it if I sit with him and build it up tall so he can knock it down but I always have to say 'WAIT!' as I am building it otherwise he would be wacking it over at 3 blocks lol!

I hope the physio can put your mind at rest about his walking, maybe it is just a bad habit he has got into?

As for toilet training I have found these on Amazon and think they would be worth a go http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001JD4GEI/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1YR4Y6CPOO85G they are called Bright bots potty training pants and don't hold loads by the sound of it but act as a slight protective barrier but still allows them to feel they are wet. May help protect the clothes a little!!

I am going to start properly around Easter I think as the weather gets a lot better over here then so at least I can hang the washing outside and get it dry quicker. Plus he won't have to wear so many layers then! x
  • Options
    I've had no letter about the 2yr check but like him to have it sooner rather than later. Plan on chasing it up soon. Sounds like he is getting along well. Feb half term is my plan too for TT. Hopefully physio will put your mind at rest.
  • Options
    Well done Philip.... I haven't heard anything about a 2 year check. Bryn also walks on his toes - nearly all the time and especially when he doesn't have his shoes on. Can you let me know what they say about it please - not sure whether I should ring the hv and ask her about it.

xxx
  • Options
    Well done Philip! It's always nice to know they're doing well!
    Gracie had hers a week after being two and did really well too. She absolutely p'd all over the jigsaws so since then we've got her a few more to do and she loves them!
    I'm gonna play TT by ear...perhaps Feb half term, but more likely Easter when it's warmer. The 'put them in pants' method worked fab for both my boys, so that's the way I'll do it for mi lady!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, once again I was a proud mummy! I have never seen him build a tower like it before, he won't do at home! If we build a tower he knocks it over too! Also when she gave him a doll and asked him to give the dolly a drink, he's never seen a dolly before! but he did it, after he went to the "kitchen" to get milk to make the tea!

Emma will let you know what they say, hoping they won't take too long. Probably overreacting but I had a problem with my foot when i was little so a bit hypersensitive about it!

Will have a look at those Liz, have also found some on kiddicare.com which are much cheaper than mothercare! I bought him some of those leg-warmer things (did get laughed at!) to keep his legs warm while he's running round with no trousers on!

Gave him a jigsaw yesterday for his treat for getting his stickers for using the potty with numbers 1-20 and he's sat here this evening and done it with no help so thing a few more will be in order!
    I did have to chase the HV to get his check as they trry to push the 2yr check to 2.5 or 3 if they can unless a parent specifically requests it so that's what i did! Have said they probably won't see him again now, unless we have major concerns, great support system eh?!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, once again I was a proud mummy! I have never seen him build a tower like it before, he won't do at home! If we build a tower he knocks it over too! Also when she gave him a doll and asked him to give the dolly a drink, he's never seen a dolly before! but he did it, after he went to the "kitchen" to get milk to make the tea!

Emma will let you know what they say, hoping they won't take too long. Probably overreacting but I had a problem with my foot when i was little so a bit hypersensitive about it!

Will have a look at those Liz, have also found some on kiddicare.com which are much cheaper than mothercare! I bought him some of those leg-warmer things (did get laughed at!) to keep his legs warm while he's running round with no trousers on!

Gave him a jigsaw yesterday for his treat for getting his stickers for using the potty with numbers 1-20 and he's sat here this evening and done it with no help so thing a few more will be in order!
    I did have to chase the HV to get his check as they trry to push the 2yr check to 2.5 or 3 if they can unless a parent specifically requests it so that's what i did! Have said they probably won't see him again now, unless we have major concerns, great support system eh?!
  • Options
    Round here they do a check at 2yrs 3 months not at 2 years - so it'll be a little way off yet.

Well done to phillip (and gracie too)!! image
  • Options
    what is this thing playing at tonight, eating replies then putting them in duplicate!!!
  • Options
    Wow well done Philip, zachariah is sooooooo behind all of your clever little bubbas!
    Your 2yr check proves it, I knew my hv wasn't arsed with him as she just chatted to me, zachariah was asleep, I then woke him up and asked if he needed to do anything and she said no! Grrr- guess she's leaving it up to the real professionals as far as he's concerned!!!!
    The foot thing: zachariah has been to physio- I'd been worried about an inturned foot, she said it was absolutely fine and perfectly normal with toddlers, it's if it's still dodgy at around 3 they may need to do something or if it seems to hinder their progress. Also the standing on toes thing is definitely worth checking out as it can be something to do with ankle muscle or ligaments or something like that, not just a preference (sorry - useless with the fact parts) either way worth checking and em I'd suggest you ask your gp for a physio referral too as there can be long waiting lists, if gp thinks no problem then no harm done image hope it all goes well for you, our physio lady was lovely I'm gutted she's the one person we don't need to see anymore lol!
    Ps: helpful hint- if you think Philip will be uncoperative put him in shorts or cropped trousers so they get a better look before the trousers come off image
  • Options
    W4b - I have the same concerns as you as I think Bryn is waaaay behind on so many of the things that the others seem to be doing and saying! He is trying to say more now that Fee is at school full-time as she quite often speaks for him but it's very slow going and he's certainly not talking in sentences! The pre-school though have no concerns about him (so far) so that's reassuring.

As for his feet - I spoke to the hv and she says he should be walking on his heels more by now so she's going to see him on Monday at the clinic.... I'll let you know what she says.

Well done again to all the bright little ones - and to the others - ours will get there soon! :roll: xx
  • Options
    Noah's speach is very poor too. Its only really in the last couple of weeks i've thought should i be worried about this but i think he will get there in his own time. I might chase up about the 2 year check purely just to get reassurance for that! even if they make some suggestions. i've made an effort in the last week or 2 to repeat more what i say and get him to repeat it back but he just doesn't want to try. he just looks at us in a bemused kind of way! we were saying peppa pig the other day and then making the 'p' sound and he made the 'p' sound very queitly and looked really embarrassed bless him! must encourage him more because i've noticed recently he's at home he'll start babbling but won't make so much as a squeek when we're out.
  • Options
    I know all children develop differently and I'm sure as far as speech goes you've got nothing to worry about, especially with older siblings around to do the communicating. Just thought I'd share what zachariah's speech therapist is trying with him: she's pleased he tries to communicate and quite obviously understands nearly everything. He's developing sounds 'bbb' 'ddd' etc but no words, she said the next stage is symbolic sounds so he understands there's a link between the noise and the object so 'vroom' for a car, 'moo' for a cow etc...... Hth
  • Options
    Took Noah up the clinic on wednesday to get him weighed and see when he's due his 2 year check and its been so long since i'd been (june) that its not even in the same place anymore! it used to be up at the local hospital but now its at the childrens centre which is a much better idea as thats on the primary school site.
    I met a really nice hv and asked about the 2 year check and she said they normally do them at about 2 and a half unless theres anything of comcern such as speech or whatever. i mentioned that it was something i wanted to ask about and after she'd weighed him and measured his height she took the time to have a really long chat with me and asked me loads if questions so it was really helpful and reassuring.
    she was going to put his name down for a apeech therapist as she said the waiting lists around here are really long but then after asking me loads of questions she said she'd see how he was doing over the next 4 months (when he has his check) and will refer him then if necessary.
    we also talked about food as he is so small and eats like a sparrow but nothing too much to worry about i think and she did offer some advice about encouraging him to eat. he seems to be getting better at eating so hopefully he'll soon get some weight on!
  • Options
    lol Jules - our clinic has moved too! Couldn't take Bryn to see the hv as he had a stinking cold so will phone this week and see if she can see me on monday - maybe they do the same here as far as the check goes. Pre school seem to think there is something wrong with Bryn's hearing as well as his feet but Dave and I have both 'tested' him at home and he's responded well - there might be something wrong but I think the vast majoritiy of it is there is so much going on at preschool that he gets sidetracked - I'll mention it to the hv though. Your hv sounds lovely - I don't get on with mine - she's not a patch on my last one! Noah has always been quite small though hasn't he? (well put next to Bryn anyway) and I'm sure if she says there's nothing to worry about then there isn't. (don't stop us mums though does it??!! lol) Speak to you soon xx