Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Abit personal, but what contraception?

Hi, sorry this is a bit personal.

Have decided we need a longer term contraceptive plan, but not really sure what to use.

Since lo was born we have just used condoms, but I find them a bit off putting. I'm not too keen on the pill as have previously had 2 unplanned pregs on it, both of which ended in miscarriage. Was wondering about the mirena coil. Any one have any experience of this? Any good? How does it work? Does it affect future fertility? We want another baby, but not for at least a couple of years.

Hope someone can help.

Nicola. X

Replies

• Hi Nicola, if you go and see your Practice Nurse, they will be able to give you all the contraceptive options so you can choose the one to suit you best. Good luck! X x
  • I am using the mini pill but with regards to the mirena coil I know a lot of people at my work have used it (we are all women and chat about these things quite a lot :roll: ) and swear that it has been fantastic (can be uncoomfy to actually have put in apparently but once is is great) and I know that both who have had it removed to have another baby have done so with no complications and had the babies.

HTH but as redpenguin says the nurse/your gp will be able to advise you best.
  • Hiya hun,

I have the mirena coil and its fantastic! I had mine put in about 8 weeks after I had Holly and its one of the best things I ever did. I was always rubbish at remembering the pill and never trusted it (was on it when I got pregnant with Holly) and I know a lot of my mates were getting the injection but putting weight on with it.
    I spoke at lengh to my gp about it and she said its more effective than sterilisation and in her 24yrs as a gp she had only ever seen 2 people pregnant with it in compared to thousands on the pill. Basically it attaches itself to the womb so that no fertilised egg could attach itself and it ALSO releases a local hormone which should stop sperm being able to get anywhere near (bit like the mini pill) but the hormone does NOT go into your blood stream so no nasty side effects. A soon as the coil is taken out your fertility is back to what it was and you can start ttc straight away no waiting for pills to come out your system ect.
    It is a little uncomfy getting fitted but I would say no worse than a smear and it lasts for 5 years!! Unless you want it out earlier that is. Some women still get light periods with it in but I must say (way tmi) I only ever get a bit of spotting when I would be due on.
    Good luck deciding and hope I have been some help xxx
  • Thanks for the repplies.

Holly's Mummy, that really helps, thanks. Going to see GP tomorrow so will have a chat with her, but I def think the mirena is the way to go.

xx