Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Crying in night but not needing feed?

I know there have been similar threads like this - BUT.... as you all know things chnage all the time with our lo's!

Anyway fin goes to bed at 8pm and doesn't need feed anymore BUT starts stiring about 10.30/11 like he's not in a deep sleep.... we leave him and he does seem to settle a bit!

Then he can sometimes suddenly wake crying between 1/2am i have to go re-settle
Then sometimes the same about 3/3.30am again have to re-settle
Then 4.30 - resettle
5/5.30 - resettle
then get out of cot 6am and bring in bed with us cause by this time i'm sooo tired he will sometimes go off to sleep for half hour but usually not - but he's never bothered about bottle until about 7am!

So it can't be that he's waking from hunger or he wouldn't settle for even 10mins would he??? and he certainly wouldn't wait till 7am for bottle!

I don't know what to do cause it's now getting a bit of a problem as hubby is kept awake aswell and has work... i don't really want to start offering milk at 4.30/5 to see if he goes back as then i'm worried it will undo everything i've done with the night feeding!

When i mentioned to HV that he still wakes in night quite a bit she was like he shouldn't be... then asked if i use a dummy i was like yes and she said 'GET RID OF IT' thats what the prob is... but i honestly don't think i could... i have no energy! I'm not even sure if thats what he's waking for i just think it's y way of soothing him...

so do your lo's do this??? how often do they wake??? is it for feeds or re-settle???

HOW CAN I GET HIM TO SLEEP FOR LONGER?????????? I'm sure this is the one question everyone wants the treasured answer to!!!!

Please don't get me wrong - when i look back at my older threads that weren't that long ago and we were doing two night feeds etc........... cuddling to sleep nightmare then i know i've done SOMETHING right lol but at one point a little while ago he went down at 8 and we didn't hear anything till 5am then i re-plugged dummy and he went back to sleep till about 6.30am....

I know it may be teeth bothering but not sure about that as no red cheeks, sore bum or anything cannot feel anything coming through, he has started eating more foods but hasn't cut any milk out - perhaps it's all the food in belly??!!

xx

Replies

• Options
    he eats at 6pm and has a little milk with food, then has bath at 7ish then night bottle at 7.30... maybe i should bring the food forward to 5.30 - see if he settles better?!

no noise that i can think of and i try to keep his room a constant temp... our house is cold so i have his storage heater on very low may try turning it off and see if he perhaps just doesn't like being hot... i don't if im trying to sleep!

xxx
  • Options
    Ditch the dummy mrs hv??? Yeah right!
    Gracie stirs most nights anywhere between 1-4 times but she settles back with her dummy and music box usually. If she's wide awake around 6am, i bring her into bed and she falls back asleep. Last night we didn't have a peep til 6.30am so it's pot luck! I don't mind as she does go back off. Anything for a good nights sleep- she used to sleep on my chest when tiny or not at all.....hmmmmm....sleep or unsettled baby?!?
    I've not had to feed her during the night since 9 week old and don't want to have to start!
    Hope you sort it soon! x
  • Options
    Ditch the dummy mrs hv??? Yeah right!
    Gracie stirs most nights anywhere between 1-4 times but she settles back with her dummy and music box usually. If she's wide awake around 6am, i bring her into bed and she falls back asleep. Last night we didn't have a peep til 6.30am so it's pot luck! I don't mind as she does go back off. Anything for a good nights sleep- she used to sleep on my chest when tiny or not at all.....hmmmmm....sleep or unsettled baby?!?
    I've not had to feed her during the night since 9 week old and don't want to have to start!
    Hope you sort it soon! x
  • Options
    I agree with katie try and bring the feeds forward a bit and see if that helps, Im not really sure what else to suggest is Holly is the same but I have decided to leave her to settle herself so after I have checked she is ok I leave her to it. She normally wakes and 1 and 6 talking to herself and cries for a abit before going back to sleep and wakes at 3.30 for a bottle.
  • Options
    As you know Sam is still waking in the night and I have decided its habit and he is now used to me going to him. Could Fin be waking knowing you are going to go to him? If you didn't would he settle? Could you put up with him crying? Do as I say not as I do - 'cos I can't and I give in each time!!!!
  • Options
    No ideas sorry..just sympathy! I can't see how it could be the dummy making a difference..s illy hv! Coles night wakings are doing my head in... he is now back to waking twice a night and I dunno what to do about it cause he is hungry..it just throws the rest of his feeds out of whack. Even tried increasing his bottles to 8oz and he does drink it a lot of times.

Charlotte is it you that has given your lo rusk in a bottle? I know its one of the latest big no-nos but I'm starting to think that I should put a bit of baby rice or rusk in Cole's last bottle to try and fill him up more. Has anyone tried this?
  • Options
    I havent tried it yet Kia but will be interesting to see if anyone has done it. I know there was a post a few days ago on the baby forum and loads of people seem to be doing it. I havent even tried Holly with a rusk lol
  • Options
    I have a pack of rusks but haven't opened them yet. I must have missed that post.. might have to try and find it at some point.
  • Options
    Hi ive been giving archie half a hippabisc with some of his 8oz bottle after his bath as he was startin to stir n wake during the night, now he's going from 6.3o till 7am then 8oz bottle then back to sleep till 9am. Such a good boy. he's havin 3 meals a day now with juice at two of these with two bottle a day seams to work better for him.
  • Options
    hi everyone, thanks for your responses - had a evening off last night went to mums and hubby sorted fin!!!

anyway haven't put rusk in bottle always fed freom spoon... not sure about the putting in bottle don't get how it would come out of teat!
    today going to feed him his last meal at 5.30 with a bit of bottle...
    last night he woke at 3 screaming i thought right iu'll leave you and see what happens... left him for what seemed ages, snuck in to see if he was ok and bless him his head was stuck up at the top of cot against wood and he's had rolled onto back... then i felt awful for leaving him hitting his head....
    anyway he went back off and then woke at 6 - which is quite good!!!
    like you said it may be that he knows i go to him so perhaps i need a few night of leaving him and see what happens!

Kia- wow cole must be hungry bless him and i know what you mean it totally throws it once you feed them in night...but ive realised sometimes it's easier to feed and put them back down rather than be up a million times resettling...

I'll try that tonight and let you know how i get on!!!

xxxxxxx