Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My poor Dad

Hi,

As I've mentioned before my Dad was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Diease the day Brendan was born and has been going down hill rapidly ever since. He got taken into hospital a week last Monday with a suspected chest infection and his oxygen levels were very low. They put him on a machine to assist his breathing and gave him antibiotics to clear up the infection and all looked like it was going well at first. Then a few days later he took a sudden turn for the worst and his oxygen levels dropped massively. My step Mum was calledto go in asap as the hospial feared the worst but once they put him on his breath assist machine again he picked back up and surprised everyone. Things seemed to be going ok again and they were talking about letting him go home until Monday when his breathing got bad again and his right lung collapsed. It was touch and go and we were warned that he may not make it through the night. My brother said it was very upsetting to see him as he was struggling to breath so much and kept panicking as he was gasping for air even with the breath assist machine. The consultant has said that basically there is nothing they can do apart from keep him comfortable as this is the late stages of the Motor Neurone Disease so it could be a matter of hours or days until he passes away. :cry: He is now on a morphine drip and is being given a mild sedative to try and help him relax and not panic so much with his breathing.

I'm absolutely heartbroken that he has gone down hill so fast and that it is unlikely he will ever get to meet Jacob. We had already sent off for Jacobs passport so I called the British Embassy (where we have to apply for the passport over here) to see if they could do anything to speed it up under the circumstances. They were fantastic and said they would see what they could do, then I got another phone call from them ten minutes later saying it would be done that day and in the post to us. That was yesterday afternoon so hopefully it will be with us tomorrow so we can look to book a flight on Sunday (there aren't any flights on a Saturday) and get over to see him if we are not too late.

I'm not sure if any of you have known someone with Motor Neurone Disease but it the most horrendous and cruel condition you can imagine and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is basically the signal from the brain to the muscles that stops working so your muscles deterioate. My Dad has the type that affects your upper body first which unfortunately is usually the faster progressing one. He has gone from being happy and healthy just two years ago to now having no strength in his arms, little movement in his fingers, having to have a tube fitted directly into his stomach to be fed as his swallow reflex is so poor he would choke if he tried to eat, he has been unable to speak since just before Christmas (the thing I have found the hardest), weakness in his legs, and now it has reached his lungs. The worst part is that mentally he is still there so he is basically becoming trapped inside his own body.

He is only 60 years old and I am so sad that he never got to play with his Grandchildren, even though he has seen Brendan he had no strength in his arms to be able to play with him or even hold him unless he was propped up in a chair. He was looking forward to becoming a Granddad so much too :cry:

Sorry for such a depressing post, I just wanted to vent really as I know it can help writing things down. My head is a bit of a mess with it all at the moment and I am so grateful I have Brendan and Jacob to distract me and keep me smiling. xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I am so sorry Liz. It must be terribly hard for you all - especially being so far away. Thank god you can fly back this weekend. My dad died very suddenly and although we were all heartbroken I think it was by far the best way for him to go.

I'm sorry there's nothing I can say to make it better. My thoughts are with you. Big hugs xxxxx
  • Options
    Oh liz I am so sorry, any illness in the family is awful and having to wait for passports etc makes the whole thing far more stressful, it's great they've been able to rush Jacobs through and I hope your father manages to meet him. My grandfather had parkinsons and the same sort of thing happened with him being trapped inside a body in too much pain to talk/eat/move etc, it really was heartbreaking to watch but at the same time when he did pass away it was good to know his suffering had ended.
    Your family are I. My thoughts and prayers and I really hope your passports are there in time for the weekend flights. Take care x
  • Options
    oh sweetie just reading your post made me cry like you said you wouldnt wish that on anyone it sounds awful and i know it's easy for someone else to say but he will be in peace when the time is for him to go... i really really hope you get to see him and give him a kiss and he can meet jacob!

take care xxx
  • Options
    i hope you get the passport quickly - it s so devastating. don't apologise for a depressing post - thats what we are here for and by god i've written about some rubish on here moaning about stuff thats completely irrelevant and this is your dad!
    safe journey and best wishes, xx
  • Options
    Oh Liz, I'm so sorry to hear this and I too have tears in my eyes. It's so upsetting when anyone dies, but added to that the fact that he may not see Jacob seems all the more cruel. I really hope you have his passport now and that you can fly over on Sunday. If not, please don't beat yourself up about this, as unfortunately, these things are out of our control totally. He knows how much you love him and nothing will change that.
    Sending you huge hugs and all the best for a speedy safe journey home. Love A x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, you're all so lovely.

Still no passport for Jacob :cry: I'm really hoping it arrives tomorrow, luckily we haven't booked a flight for Sunday yet just in case it has to be Monday or Tuesday if the passport is late. Hate being in the limbo of not knowing though.
    My Dad is now in his own room and they have put a bed in for my step mum which is fab as she has been sleeping in a chair next to him all week bless her.

Keep your fingers crossed the passport arrives tomorrow for me xxx
  • Options
    Will be crossing mine for you, really hope it arrives today x
  • Options
    Phew passport arrived! Got the flight booked for tomorrow so now I just have to pack our bag and give the bomb shell that claims to be our house a tidy.
    Hopefully my Dad will hang on a while longer so I can see him. xxx
  • Options
    So pleased the passport has arrived. Hope the journey isn't too stressful - sod the house it can wait!

Big hugs - fingers crossed you will get back in time.

Thinking of you all.

Em xx
  • Options
    So glad you got the passport and you have a flight booked. Have a safe journey and take care. Thinking of you xxx
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this Liz, really glad you got bubbas passport through though. Thinking of you all on your trip, lotsa love xx
  • Options
    Hi,

Just to let you know I arrived back in time to see my Dad although he was heavily sedated due to the distress he was in with his breathing so he wasn't aware I was there. He fought as hard as he could against the MND but eventually it was too much and unfortunately he passed away on Friday afternoon. Thanks to the sedation it was very peaceful which was a relief to us all as the last thing we wanted was for him to suffer anymore.

Absolutely devastated at losing my Dad as I am sure you can all imagine, he was only 60 years old and had been very fit and active until the Motor Neurone Disease took hold of him. He had his first symptoms 2 years ago and was diagnosed 18 months ago and in that short space of time the impact the MND had on his life was horrific. We are sorting out the funeral arrangements tomorrow but are hoping it will be either Thursday or Friday as I think we all need the funeral to say a proper goodbye to him.

I know everyone is a bit strapped for cash but if anyone is thinking about giving a donation to charity the Motor Neurone Disease Association is crying out for funding to help them pay for research to find a cure for this devastating condition.
    My step mum, Aunt and my brother and I have all said we really want to do something to find a stop to this condition. We are requesting donations to the MND association instead of flowers at the funeral but hopefully we will come up with another fundraising way in the future to have some impact too.

xxxx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this Liz
    Big hugs
    xx
  • Options
    So sorry Liz, my thoughts are with you and all of your family. Must be an extremely hard and painful time for you all, but a relief that the end was peaceful. Lots of love and hugs xxx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this Liz, you must be devastated but I'm also glad you got to see him too. He'll know you were there for him in spirit, if not in body, and I believe he'll be watching over you forever.
    Sending hugs and love at this sad time xxx
  • Options
    sooo sorry to hear about your dad - but i am so glad you made it back in time! cuddles and kisses xxx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear all this - I missed the original post! Glad you made it back to see him and I am sure the funeral will be the most fitting send off. Big hugs x
  • Options
    Oh Liz, i'm so sorry to read this, as the others have said it's good you made it back in time to spend some precious final time with him, my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

Lots of love and hugs to you all

• Options
    so very sorry to hear your sad news. our thoughts are with you and your family, jules x
  • Options
    So sorry for your sad news. Bigs hugs and kisses xxxx