Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Poolside - "Incident"

Hi all, i seem to find the time to get her very rarely lately, seems a one year old, along with a 5 & a 4 yo is harder to manage than a new born, lol.

We had our swimming lessons for Erin this afteroon, Erin is 5 and we went ot the pool at about 4.30 to play and make sure she had splashed out all of the sillyness before the serious lesson, lol.

Erin was playing in the water with her friend Chloe, who is 6 yo. Erin was wearing a floatation vest and merrily bobbing about , not really realising that the bottom of the shallow pool was about a foot below her. Her friend Chloe did not realise she had gotten out of her depth until suddenly went to put her feet down and hit nothing and panicked. Chloe then grabbed on to the closest floating thing - Erin who was luckily wearing a floatation vest.

Within seconds both girls were squealing and calling out, i dived in fully clothed, (sorry , no wet t shirt comp , lol ) at the same time that the life guard dived in and also Chloes's mum.

I fully understand the importance of floaties and lifeguards and mums attentions, and i know that we were all within a small reach to pick up the kids and avert an absolute tragedy.

On the other hand, Chloe's mum is an absolute worrier - and kept telling Chloe what if - the life guard wasn't there, or if michelle wasn't there, or if mum wasn't there, or if she drowned Erin, or drowned herself. or if on and on and on.

I am a realist as in i see what is and deal with it, but Chloe's mum is an obsessive compulsive worrier, dies anyone else have some advice to help me help rebecca to deal with day to day struggles with our kids?

SHell

Replies

• blimey! Im afraid im the worrier so no advice really! Just wanted to say I hope youre sat at home with a nice cuppa after all that!
    Im not sure who rebecca is, but i know you wont change or reasure chloes mum. Its just one of those things i thnk. I wonder if chloe is the eldest? I do think exprience relaxes you. For example i wont worry so much about the things ive already been through with holly, but i will prob still worry about 4 year old things when holly is that age with her being my first if that makes sense.

I think having 2 miscarriages before i had holly has made me worse, but im sure i would have been pretty much this way anyway.

I was going to say, Im not that bad, but actually i cant even leave holly with people... so maybe i am! And i too would have been in that pool like a whippet! x
  • Oh dear that does sound traumatic for all involved but I would just try and put it to her that 'what ifs' don't matter at all it's all about what happened, she's a mum and I doubt she will ever stop worrying about her child (I know we all do) it's just some of us dwell more than others, I guess if you can I would suggest just finding ways of making games with the children in 'what if' scenarios so should something she worries about happen, everyone involved might be a bit calmer. Is she doing all the worrying in front of the children or only with you? As I think we always think ' thank god such and such didn't happen' or whatever.
  • P.s really glad all was ok image