Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How do you feel about swine flu jab?

As the title says really...saw on the news they are going to offer it to all under fives. I don't know anyone who's had it and therefore what if any side affects there are.

Replies

• I'm not sure...they seem to be having new jabs every time I take one of mine for jabs! I shall see if anyone has done any research then comment lol.
  • I've read around about the swine flu jab as I was offered it last week and also told Jacob could have it when he hits 6 months. Although there isn't anything majorly negative about the jab I've decided not to have it or to give it to Jacob at the moment. My reasons are:-
    - there have been limited trials on the jab so no one can say it is 100% safe, particularly when it comes to the long term affect.
    - all the trials of the jabs have been done on over 18s (as they have to be) so there is no research to show the jab is safe for a baby/child.
    - we are all relatively healthy, no lung problems, so we are in a lower risk group in terms of getting a serious case of swine flu.

I saw on GMTV this morning their Dr Hilary saying it was a personal decision and that from what he had seen Swine flu so far hadn't become the pandemic everyone had feared. Numbers at the moment appear to be on the decrease and that there was no reason for people to panic and rush out for the vaccine.

My other main issue is that I personally believe the swine flu thing has all been blown out of proportion. From what I can see the cases of swine flu that are reported now haven't been confirmed cases as if you think you have swine flu you aren't allowed to go to see your GP! So I do wonder how many cases of the swine flu are actually just normal flu- which can be just as deadly as swine flu.
    Reported side affects of the jab are flu like symptoms, fever, severe pain in the arm it was injected in. Although I don't think bad side affects are too common.

Maybe if more information comes out or it does all start to look more serious I will reconsider but at the moment there will be no jabs for us.
  • We will not be having the swine flu jab here, I just dont think there has been enough research and second everything Liz has said image
  • I had it last week, and just had a really sore arm for a few days, but was told you can feel a bit fluey for a few days after. I felt a bit better having it done as all the doc and staff at the surgery were having it done at the same time (it was the first day they were administering them at my surgery) including one of the pregnant nurses.
  • my dr's surgery phoned last week to ask me to take my eldest in. he suffers from asthma so i will be taking him in this week. i am nervous about anything like this but I would not want to risk him getting it.
  • its strange as it has been reported that pregant women should all be offered it but i never have - i forgot to ask about it at mw appointmet... to be fair tho doubt i would have it as now a week till due date do not want to have side effects etc...

not sure about fin - i havent research at all and think will wait and see what majoity of people do!

• We've had invites for me, dh & step son due to diabetes and asthma but at the moment we aren't going to have them, i'm concerned about the long term effects. Don't think i'll be letting Philip have it either.