Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Finlay at Childminders and return to work

Well I havent been on a little while as had a manic week! especially as car broke and had the day from hell on my last day off! anyway

Started work Wednesday took fin just before 8am - he crawled off chasing the cats and gave a big smile... i left for work and felt sick worse cause i had an hour drive to work!!! anyway i resisited to ring cause i thought sods law he'll be crying or something then i'll worry even more!
got to him at 5.30 - so a very long day for him and me without him! he was happy to see me and got all excited but then wanted to get back on the floor to play... hehehe

she wrote in a little notebook about the day for me- he had breakfast and a morning nap of hour and half then ate all lunch and then another hour and half nap... same next day although she woke him early from afternoon nap as .........wait for it.................... we had the worse nights sleep of my life on the wed night!!!! and in the end thursday was just as bad - so my god i hope tonights better!!

the night from hell... went off fine then he woke screaming and sobbing at 12 - but getting himself in proper state no amount of dumy replugs bum rubbing etc made any difference... got to 3 am and i was nearly crying so got some milk and fed him, made no difference then i tried capol nothing! ended up bringing him in to bed with me and he wanted to hold on to me with both hands and lay basically on top of me - everytime i move he cryed! so had about 3 hours sleep then had full days work and then the same last night!

im soooo worried its messed up his sleeping, not sure what to do if he does it again tonight!?!!

xxxxx

Replies

• Oh no poor fin... and poor you. Could it just be a little settling in as he gets used to the change in his routine? Or is he teething? Fin doesn't normally nap in the afternoon much does he? Can you get her to not let him nap so much in the afternoon?

Hope you have a better night tonight
  • Are you sure he's not popping a tooth through? We have been away for 3 nights camping and the first night Philip woke at 1.15 am (i say woke, eye's were closed but everytime i put him back down he screamed and screamed and screamed...) and wouldn't settle so he spent the night on the air bed with me, sorry he spent the night on my air bed, with my arm with me on the floor squashed between airbeds! Thought it might be change in routine or the fact we forgot his mattress, and then he was whingey all wed morning, midday wed we discovered a new tooth, oh then another one! During the night he had sprouted a tooth on the bottom and another up the top so no wonder he was moaning!

Try asking her to shorten his nap if he's not used to sleeping for that long during the day, another thought is what does he nap in at home? Philip naps in his bouncer for about 30mins twice a day, once i tried putting him in his cot for an afternoon nap, he slept nearly 2hours then woulnd't settle for bed that night so i haven't done it again since!

Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight
  • MY lo had the week from hell the first week I returned to work - sod's law! He had his first proper cold and I got next to no sleep and looked like a zoobie. It all settled down after that. Hoping next week goes better for you!

El x
  • I've read that when the wee ones start childcare, they can try and make up for lost contact time with mummy by waking more during the night. Probably not what you wanted to hear but at least it will improve with time!!
  • Oh no, really hope things have got better and you have caught up on sleep.

Sounds like Fin is doing really well at the childminders at least, did she have any suggestions for the fact he was having such bad nights? Maybe it is something she has seen before?
    Fingers crossed next week is better anyway and if it is a tooth it gets through quick sharp!! xx
  • Oh poor you and Fin. xxx
    Hope you have been able to catch up this weekend.
    Sam starts nursery soon and so we may get it too!!!
  • Awww Im pleased the childcare is going well and that Fin is enjoying himself, its a big change for him so Im sure he will settle down at nights once he realises you are there. You must be soooo tired though, bless ya. Hope you manage a realllllyyy long lie in this weekend and catch up on some well deserved zzzzz's xxx
  • hi everyone, feel like havent been on properly for ages to reply to all your posts will do tonight!!!

well fin was ok the fri night as daddy and bro had him split that day and been okish since still waking earlier but hey ho cant have everything also woke yesterday from nap witha snotty nose so maybe that wasnt helping!

anyway hope its better next week!

oh he has only ever slept in cot will not go off anjywhere else apart from car! she did cut his nap the second day to 40mins and also made sure she filled him up... think he must have missed his mummy!

• So glad he was fine at the childminders but what a bummer that he didn't sleep well! I hope it settles down this next week for you. I am off to start work on wed so hope max doesn't do the same to me!!
  • PS - dare I ask ....... is the car sorted - HOPE IT IS!"!!
  • hehehe well yes - its working!!! but the bloke who sold it too us has dissapearded and were trying to get him to pay for work... hubby sooo not happy which worries me as he will kill him when he gets hold of him... quite litrally!!!

xxx