Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

present lists for rellies - a slight rant!

Does anyone else have relatives who ask what they should buy for the kids birthdays and christmas? I always used to say whatever you think would be fine because I think its nice to choose your own presents and I don't want to deprive them. Also different people can come up with different and sometimes much better ideas than me! but in the last year or so I have given in and started putting little lists together so I am prepared when asked!
Its quite nice because then I can browse catalogues or internet and look at all the lovely things I'd love to buy my kids and then I can mentally make a note and think oh yes my mum (or whoever) could get that - the boys would love it. Also with Zach he is old enough now to ask for things and so I can let them know.

The problem is why do they always ask and you tell them and then they go out and buy something completely different!!? on some occassions its been something I've really wanted to get the boys or something that zach has specifically asked for but I've thought it would be a lovely present from whoever and they'll love it so much and I've bought something different and then they've ended up without it. This is really disappointing because we only buy them toys for christmas and birthday - its a big deal!

last year Zach wanted a little lego thing. it wasn't very expensive and I could have bought it as a stocking present. He kept asking for it because it transformed into 3 different things. He was a bit obsessed! and the only thing he really wanted bless him. I asked my mum to get it and told her how it was something he really wanted and she didn't even get it!!!!
this year I will be putting a suggestion forward to whoever asks but following it with a 'if you decide to get something else can you let me know so I can suggest it to someone else!!'

Is this just me and am I being daft to worry about it? my mums already asked me for present suggestions and I know it will be the first of many!! Maybe I should go back to the 'whatever you think' option!!

Replies

• Sounds like a nightmare!! We had a few people ask last year what to get Bren and as we were over in the UK and would have to bring everything back to Norway we asked people to either get something small and light or money and we would use it to get him toys here or put in his bank account. Only about two people listened to us and as a result half of his birthday and christmas presents from last year are still at my Mums house! I felt ungrateful complaining to hubby about it as people had bought really nice things but they were totally unpractical to get in a suitcase - particularly with Ryan airs tight baggage alowance!
    This year I have set up a wishlist on Amazon for him, that way if people ask I can refer them to that and I don't have to worry about people getting things twice for him. Plus it will let you set a priority rating on how badly you want it!

If I were you I think I would maybe say something to your mum about last year, say that Zach was pretty dissapointed he hadn't got the lego thing he really wanted and that if she doesn't want to get whatever you suggest this time to let you know so you cn buy it. It is silly her asking for ideas if she is then going to ignore them!! x
  • lol! Liz I feel rubish complaining now - thats really sad that Bren had to leave his presents behind - i hope Bren and Jacob get good use of them when they holiday there!
    There s no talking to my mum sometimes - i will mention the 'let me know if you're not going to get it so i can' but unfortunately my mums not the only one!