Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Car seat help

Does anyone know what's more important, the weight of your child or the age when it comes to car seats.

I say this because it would be handy for my Mum to have a carseat in her car instead of lugging it from one to the other and strugglinfg to get it into the back of her 3 door car.

I haven' tseen the hv or had Oakley weighed since his 8 month check, but he has always been the 91st percentile. Which according to the book makes him 15 kg at his present age. Which means he could have just a foam seat, where you use the seat belt, which is very light and would be easyto use in my mums car.

Any help or advice would be good.

Thanks

Replies

• Hi El
    Its the weight/height is most important with respect to the car seat but i think its age thats important when it comes to the law. I think oakley would have to have an intermediete seat before going to a booster, even one with a back.
    try halfords website as they have a questions and answers page or try this;

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/types/index.htm

jules x
  • Hi, my mum has a car seat a bit like the following http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_65_10751_-1_14568_88865_10001_14568
    It was less than ??30 and breaks down as they get older so it is just a booster seat. Perfect as it doesn't get a huge amount of use, it is much lighter than the one we have too (Britax one) so it isn't so bad if we have to move it from car to car.

My step mum has the same one and when my bil and sil came out to visit us with their little boy they brought her car seat as they said it was so light.

No idea on the legal requirements to be honest, but a seat like this should cover you as it is ok from 9kg to 36kg. xx
  • thanks will have a look
  • brilliant car seat Liz - especially with the adjustable buckle. and such a good price. noah's one is good for a while but it is sooo heavy!! just as well we don't move them around very often - we find it easier to swop cars rather than swop seats!!